iPhone ringtonemaker and iTunes 7.4

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jgirt

Jul 16, 2007
I tried out iPhone ringtone maker and it worked great. I updated iTunes to 7.4 and hooked up my iPhone to the computer and noticed that I lost the ring tones. I cant see if the ringtones will sync back up since I only have the trial version of ringtone maker. I was thinking of buying the software especially since I don't want to pay .99 for a rintone. Plus I am not sure if I can use sound effects. I have a video edditing company and have a huge library of royality free audio files that can work as ringtones. Any one else loose their ringtones and if so, will this be fixed.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
Not to worry. The new update took all my ringtones off the phone also.
I have the full version of iPhone Ringtone maker, I just had to put them all back.
They are all working no problems.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I just got the new update (ver. 7.4) all installed, and I see none of the "bells" Steve mentioned and I have no "ringtone" tab. I do have a PC and not a MAC. I'm just wondering if that feature is available only for the MAC. Anybody have any info on this?

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
Say WHAT? Ya wanna run that by me once more please? (I'm slow) :laugh2:
I think he means while you're in iTunes click on your iPhone on the left hand side and once it has been clicked you'll see blue tabs in iTunes along the top that read as such: Summary, Info, Ringtones, Music, Photos, Podcasts, Videos

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
I think you have to have purchased sings from iTunes to make a ringtone. I didn't have the ringtone tab either, but I haven't bought any songs on my MacBook.

rcrush

Jul 26, 2007
on the Apple webpage it says that certain songs in iTunes store have a little bell icon next to them. And only those songs can be used as ringtones. I cant seem to find any on iTunes store, there doesn't seem to be a way to search for them. Anyone have any ideas?

jgirt

Jul 16, 2007
on the Apple webpage it says that certain songs in iTunes store have a little bell icon next to them. And only those songs can be used as ringtones. I cant seem to find any on iTunes store, there doesn't seem to be a way to search for them. Anyone have any ideas?
ringtones wont be available until next week from my understanding. The update shows the ringtone tabe on the iPhone screen but until next week it is uselss. Not that I can I went ahead and purchased ringtone maker and have already made 10 ringtones. Love that software......

rcrush

Jul 26, 2007
ringtones wont be available until next week from my understanding. The update shows the ringtone tabe on the iPhone screen but until next week it is uselss. Not that I can I went ahead and purchased ringtone maker and have already made 10 ringtones. Love that software......
mine still works too but now it wipes all your added ringtones everytime you synch the iPhone. So I have to keep reloading ringtones after i sync. Kind of annoying.

jgirt

Jul 16, 2007
mine still works too but now it wipes all your added ringtones everytime you synch the iPhone. So I have to keep reloading ringtones after i sync. Kind of annoying.
I haven't tried resynching yet and probably wont until tomorrow. but I hope that isn't the case since I just went through and asigned ringtones to some f my contacts. That will be a real pain if I have to so this everytime I hook my phone up to my computer.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have a workaround.

The ringtones iPhoneRingtoneMaker sends to the iPhone are on the PC in this folder:
...\My Documents\My Music\Ringtones

Copy those ringtones to this folder on the iPhone:
var/root/Library/Ringtones

When placed in the above folder they will appear in the list of available ringtones and will not be effected by iTunes syncing.

--
Mike

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I have a workaround.

The ringtones iPhoneRingtoneMaker sends to the iPhone are on the PC in this folder:
...\My Documents\My Music\Ringtones

Copy those ringtones to this folder on the iPhone:
var/root/Library/Ringtones

When placed in the above folder they will appear in the list of available ringtones and will not be effected by iTunes syncing.

--
Mike
Tin, what program do you use to see the directory on the phone? I will do this fix before I even d/l the new version of iTunes so I don't need to link my rings to people again. Thanks in advance for the info!

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
I'm going to wait for the update to ringtonemaker before I I install the new iTunes. I bet they release a ver that puts them in the VAR... folder. Changing my contacts custom tones would take some time.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Tin, what program do you use to see the directory on the phone? I will do this fix before I even d/l the new version of iTunes so I don't need to link my rings to people again. Thanks in advance for the info!
I use WinSCP but you could use iBrickr or any other utility that allows you to see the iPhone's file structure.

You should be able to use Mobile Finder on the iPhone itself.

Do not that the iPhoneRingtoneMaker ringtones are not actually deleted from the iPhone. They remain in var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Ringtones, untouched. However, they have random filenames (e.g., F613.mp3). Somewhere there is a setting or plist file that stores the actual ringtone name that is used to help populate the list of available ringtones. The latest iTunes apparently kills that setting or plist, but leaves the actual ringtones intact.

Anyway, you can use Mobile Finder right on the iPhone to move the files to the aforementioned folder. You will need to rename them to something meaningful, that is all.

--
Mike

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I just donwloaded 7.4 and synced and all my ringtones are gone ... could they have atleast waited till iTunes ringtones were ready before they took them off my phone? I cant even replace them with 99c ones ...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I just donwloaded 7.4 and synced and all my ringtones are gone ... could they have atleast waited till iTunes ringtones were ready before they took them off my phone? I cant even replace them with 99c ones ...
I don't think you can blame Apple here. The folder that iPhoneRingtoneMaker uses is obviously one reserved for iTunes. It was just a matter of time before iTunes was updated to use it.

--
Mike

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Is there any alternative software for the iPhoneRingToneMaker? I am running Vista. I downloaded the trial version and it crashes with an invalid path error. Thanks.