iPhone running iOS 7 won't charge

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by D man, Jun 11, 2013.

1. D man

D man New Member

Anyone else on iOS 7 have charging issues. Mine won't charge and when I plug it in it says "this cable or accessory is not compatible" and my battery is dropping fast.

Any suggestions?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Is it a 3rd-party cable that you are using? Have you tried a different cable?

3. D man

D man New Member

I'm not sure how that would be an issue as it always charged before hand. All the sudden a new IOS and it doesn't work?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The questions Chris asked are just part of the troubleshooting for this problem.

I'd try a hard reset. Press the home and power buttons at the same time and let go when you see the Apple logo.

5. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

The reason it is a legitimate question and why it would be significant is because the Lightning connector (8 pin ala iPhone 5) has a security feature designed to work only with Apple approved devices and cables. Some third party manufacturers found work arounds initially but with the introduction of iOS7 Apple may have found a way to once again defeat the work arounds. It is a game that is played on and on between manufacturers and third party accessory suppliers. The manufacturer installs a feature, third parties find a work around, the manufacturer updates the feature to defeat the work around and on and on, wash, rinse repeat.

So again, is it an iPhone 5? Is it an OEM cable or is it a third party?

6. D man

D man New Member

I wasn't trying to be rude with my answer but previously it would charge on Apple cables and 3rd party cables anywhere, work home car etc and with IOS 7 just with the acutal Apple cable at home

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It wasn't rude. It's just that we can help better when the questions are answered. Did the hard reset help? Is it an iPhone 5? Does this happen with Apple cables? The software in iOS 7 does might be more sensitive to third party cables. Some people are reporting this screen (see below). There have been reports of poor battery life as well. The bugs still need to be worked out. You can restore to 6.1.4. Try letting the battery run down to zero and powering itself off. It's possible that the battery just needs to be calibrated so it reflects the remaining battery percentage more accurately and that will do it.
    image.jpg

8. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

I'd test going to 6.1.4 to make sure that something else might not have happened to the device, hopefully nothing hardware related. I do get the "not certified" message whenever I use my two third-party/cheap Lightning cables, but they continue to work normally.

9. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Other early iOS 7 adopters are reporting this as well. You have to play around with different cables or just use Apples OEM cable...

10. Marc_

Marc_ Member
    Bronze

My iPhone 5 running ios7 with third party cable now displays the same message but still charges. I do not get the message on my ipad mini running iOS 6.

Sent using iCafe app

11. Arvin Wilson

Arvin Wilson New Member

My iPhone didn't care whose cable I used when had iOS6+. My battery pack also worked without any error. Since I went to iOS7 my battery pack and the OEM cables get the message shown above. Until Apple fixes this bug my $40 battery pack I just bought is worthless.

12. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

So the charging actually stops in iOS 7? I still get the message (disappears after one unlock), yet everything still works fine.

13. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I have a few of the cheap cables and they do charge BUT I get the same message as depicted in the above post. I imagine the Chinese cable manufacturers will find a work-a-round.

14. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Yes, to confirm- 3rd party cables work initially for the first 3-4 times and will ALWAYS show the charging symbol, but after getting the message several times, it will stop charging the device.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Mine displayed this message once with an original Apple cable after getting ios7. I simply unplugged and replugged and it charged fine after that. I thought maybe a fuzz interfered the first attempt...

Sent using iCafe app

16. rmfnla

rmfnla Member
    Bronze

17. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I had a problem with one of the iOS7 beta releases with my battery not charging, I was using a Apple charging plug.
    Went to the Apple store to take to them and they did a hard reset, I had to install as new and all has been fine since.
    My Apple store is developer friendly and know me. They had no problem helping me with a beta version :)
    Good luck
    Tom

18. mac2013

mac2013 New Member

Yes that's exactly what happened to my phone. After a week it just stops charging after every 1% and such a pain to unplug and plug back in.
    Will wait for chinamen from Chinatown to find a fix.
    Till then I will use my iPad mini cable as backup source.