iPhone running out of system memory!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Im jailbroken, and Sn0wed, with a 16gig iPhone 3g.

I keep getting warning that i have little system memory left on the phone when i open up certain apps like Camera, and Snapture and Cycorder.

"Your iPhone is running low on system memory. Performance may be affected."

I am baffled at this because when connected to the computer, im using 2 gigs of my 16gigs. When i go to cydia/manage/storage....if you look at the systems pie chart it says i have 11.4% Free.

Please Can anyone help figure out what the hell is eating up my System memory.

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Please Can anyone help figure out what the hell is eating up my System memory.
I believe you are confusing system memory... and storage memory.

You have 16GB of storage memory. However, your system memory is MUCH smaller. I think it is 128 or 256 MBs.

/Jim

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah you posted storage space as opposed to actual system memory (RAM)... do you have SBSettings installed? Open that up and let us know what it says for "Available Memory".

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 20MB available. Rebooting will give you more like 40 available, but 20 available is fine. You'd have a problem if you were down to 2MB available, which could happen with enough apps open for too long. Then you would just have to reboot.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Oh wow, i rebooted the phone...and swiped across the top for Sb settings. At first it said 59MB then it jumped down to 39MB then up to 42MB after opening Snapture and taking a picture.

Looks like Rebooting really does make the iPhone run better!

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Maybe you're running more than one application in the same time? You know, clicking the home button once doesn't always totally shut down an application.