iPhone saved Thanksgiving!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
Got to the store today and realized I had forgotten my list. I could recreate most of it except for the recipe for Brined Turkey. Pulled out my phone and googled the website. Voila, there were my ingredients. The produce lady thought that was pretty funny. The saga continued when the grocery store did not have 2 of the ingredients needed. Crap!:mad: Not a problem though with my "invention of the year". I then googled the name of the specialty store in my area, tapped the phone number and spoke to the store which informed me they do indeed sell juniper berries! Drove straight there made my purchase and then went home to battle Big Bertha, my 25lb bird.
I absolutely love my phone. Even though Itook a lot of heat from friends and family for my obvious disregard for money and the art of saving it, my iPhone has not let me down yet.
Thanks for this forum and all the valuable info. I'm an avid lurker.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Colleen
ps- totally off topic, has anyone ever brined a turkey?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Haha that's an awesome story. I've used Google Maps so much to find different businessses and call them directly, it's amazing. Keep on lurking the forums and post up some more! Alas, I have no idea what brining a turkey is but it sounds like it could be good.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Had a similar experience at the supermarket the other day. Forgot the ingredients to a recipe, but my wife had emailed it the year before. So we logged into her google account through safari and were set.

Also picked up ingredients for someone but didn't' know what bermuda onions looked like... I had called him like 3 times that day already and frankly didn't feel like talking to him. Google images and the iPhone to the rescue!

To my wife: What's wrong with us that we need so much connectivity to shop for food?

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
i also had a similar situation i had kinda dropped the ball on my mothers birthday and since she lives in florida i couldnt just pick a card up at the store and flowers and bring em to her so i pulled out the iPhone searched for a flower shop in her area got the number called them up and got flowers to her that day with a card that i still have no idea what it say but it made her cry so wahooo for the....

(yes its wallpaper sized! lol)

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Got to the store today and realized I had forgotten my list. I could recreate most of it except for the recipe for Brined Turkey. Pulled out my phone and googled the website. Voila, there were my ingredients. The produce lady thought that was pretty funny. The saga continued when the grocery store did not have 2 of the ingredients needed. Crap!:mad: Not a problem though with my "invention of the year". I then googled the name of the specialty store in my area, tapped the phone number and spoke to the store which informed me they do indeed sell juniper berries! Drove straight there made my purchase and then went home to battle Big Bertha, my 25lb bird.
I absolutely love my phone. Even though Itook a lot of heat from friends and family for my obvious disregard for money and the art of saving it, my iPhone has not let me down yet.
Thanks for this forum and all the valuable info. I'm an avid lurker.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Colleen
ps- totally off topic, has anyone ever brined a turkey?
Didn't I see you saying all that in an Apple commercial just the other day? Just kidding. I am glad that people are having as much fun and practical use from this phone. I love the phone and have only put it down maybe 3 times since I bought it. I carry it everywhere I go.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Didn't I see you saying all that in an Apple commercial just the other day? Just kidding. I am glad that people are having as much fun and practical use from this phone. I love the phone and have only put it down maybe 3 times since I bought it. I carry it everywhere I go.
Ha! Yeah, you should submit that to Apple.

I can see it now:

"I was at the store, getting everything together for Thanksgiving Dinner. Then I realize that I forgot my list! So I pull out my iPhone and go to the website where the recipe is. There's what I need!

Later, terror struck again. The store I was did not have two of the necessary ingredients! What was I to do, right? Well, I Google the specialty store around town, and bam, there's there phone number, I tap and call them. The store has the ingredients. Then I go and make my purchase, and head home to start cooking Big Bertha."

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I was at a bar on saturday. My wife couldnt decide on a drink to get. I suggested she get a "grasshopper" since she likes minty drinks. The bartender couldnt remember the exact ingredients. I googled "bar drink grasshopper" and voila up came the exact ingredients and how much. mind you my wife rolls her eyes at me all the time using the iPhone, however after i explained the story and she really liked the drink, she makes fun of me less now.

That and the traffic viewer on the maps comes in handy all the time.

sportychick

Bronze
Nov 18, 2007
Georgia
I have brined many turkeys. I have one brining now. You really should start to brine a turkey three days before your going to cook it but starting now I guess is ok.

Make sure you put LOTS of rock salt in your brine. I am not sure what your recipe called for. I keep mine simple. It is rock salt, brown sugar, lemon wedges, orange wedges, rosemary, thyme, black peppercorns and of course lots of H20.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MASSIVE BIRD!