iPhone screen cracked

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 15, 2007
So I was using my phone and when I got done, I put it in my pocket by itself like I ALWAYS do. I walked inside my house and sat down, my phone rang I pulled it out of my pocket, and I thought there was a hair on my screen so I went to brush it off and it was not coming off so I tried to kinda smudge it and it turns out it was a crack and when I tried to smudge it, the screen cracked even more.

Im pretty sure that Apple is gonna tell me to go to hell when i tell them this story, so im screwed.

kency79

Bronze
Sep 2, 2007
Hamilton,NJ
www.myspace.com
So I was using my phone and when I got done, I put it in my pocket by itself like I ALWAYS do. I walked inside my house and sat down, my phone rang I pulled it out of my pocket, and I thought there was a hair on my screen so I went to brush it off and it was not coming off so I tried to kinda smudge it and it turns out it was a crack and when I tried to smudge it, the screen cracked even more.

Im pretty sure that Apple is gonna tell me to go to hell when i tell them this story, so im screwed.
Well you might have to spend $399 again

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
if i buy a new screen for the 123$ price, where should i go to have it installed? send it back to Apple? Apple store?
Good question. Has anyone had Apple install a new screen from an outside source, or do they only install new screens purchased from them?

It costs around $250 for Apple to replace a screen. I wonder if that'd be cheaper than having them install a new screen purchased elsewhere...if they even do that.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Do it your self. It really isn't that hard. I've replaced many screens, from multiple laptop to cell phone screens. It really isn't that hard and what's nice with the iPhone is you don't need any special tools. The hardest part is getting the casing off. Use a guitar pick to pry and be gentle....forceful, but gentle. After that just start taking it apart and maybe write down every screw you take out. You don't need a manual, it's not rocket science. If you don't want to go that route then send it to Apple. Simple as that. Heck I'll do it for you for cheaper then Apple.:p

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Just try to remember to put the screen towards your leg next time. I Carry mine in a leather holster face towards me to make sure I don't crack the screen if I bump something.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
This is amazing. The first time I dropped my iPhone I tried to grab it in mid-air and ended up 'slapping' it to the tiled floor in my gym at a much higher force than if I had let it go! I have since dropped my iPhone a few more times and have yet to damage any part of the device. To see you have cracked yours while it was in your pocket is very difficult for me to accept.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Why would ignorance by the user be covered by Apple's warranty or most any warranty?!?!?!?!?

You cracked the screen whether you believe it or not.....it's not a defect.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Since Screens don't crack on their own, it is considered user abuse. In other words you could have prevented it from cracking. Accidents do happen, but Manufacturer warrantys ONLY cover Manufacture defects.. If it would have came in the Box cracked it would be a different story. But since you bought it, used it for who knows how long, this pretty much says it wasn't cracked to begin with.
A really good example is if you buy a new car, and some idiot broadsides you, should the dealer/manufacturer replace the car?

Alot of people really don't understand what Manufacturer warrantys are, hope this clears it up for ya a little. Unfortunately you're going to have to send it to Apple to get repaired (think I heard it costs 175.00 to 250ish to replace a screen ). either that or buy a new phone.

Mar 23, 2010
There are so many online [online places removed] that repair cracked glass or let you buy a part to fix it yourself. Why put a ding in the armor of your character or karma for that matter? Spend a few bucks, have it done professionally or buy the part and do it yourself, otherwise all we do is get Apple in the habit of charging more for repairs than they should and raising the price on the next thing we want to buy from them.

Mar 23, 2010
If you are replacing your 2G and don't mind another 2 year agreement with AT&T you can upgrade to a 3G for $99 at the Apple store or AT&T store. You can also find used phones and refurbished phones on line for less than half the new price. Just pop your SIM card in and you are good to go. Just google it.

iTim

Bronze
Mar 21, 2010
Los Angeles, Ca
I am so late to this party, since this thread is nearly 3 years old, but I had a story to share.

I had the iPhone 3G, which i waited in line for and had only had for 3 months or so when I dropped it on a tile floor in starbucks and the screen cracked from top to bottom in several directions.

Next day, I took it directly to the Apple store and showed the genius bar support guy what happened. He asked me what happened and i told him that I dropped it in starbucks. He asked if I was aware of the price I would have to pay to get a new one and I said yes, I know. My fault, I have to pay. He comes out with a new phone and says "this one time only I am going to replace your phone for free. I'm only doing it because you were completely honest with me about how the screen got cracked". Long story long, I walked out with a new phone and no charge at all. The only thing he made me do before i left, was buy a case. $300 vs. $29 for a case? No problem.

abitnerdy

Mar 26, 2010
Is it odd that I am replying to a post from 2007? Anyhow I really think its hit or miss with Apple Warranty, it depends on the location and the Apple genius that helps you-- I went to one Genius and he basically told me in a not so nice, and overly complicated way that its at his discretion whether or not he'll fix/replace my screen (granted its not water damage). The next week I went and a different store and he looked at my phone and replaced it no questions asked. Isn't that weird?

Also a heads up to friends with cracked screens, my coworker had her phone stepped on and it was out of warranty... she purchased a new screen via ebay and replaced it herself. easy peasy. :) Just becareful not to smudge the underside a finger print on the underside is REALLY annoying!