iPhone screen doesn't dim down before auto locking

ninja

Aug 9, 2009
i don't know how this happened. when my phone is inactive for a minute(since i set auto lock for 1 min), the screen doesn't dim down then lock. i tried everything from reseting,restore, and DFU mode(just for the heck of it). i noticed that the screen dims when its in factory settings after the restore but once i sync from the back up,it doesn't work. please help!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Try restoring as a new phone and not from backup. Seems there is something in the backup causing the problem.

ninja

Aug 9, 2009
Try restoring as a new phone and not from backup. Seems there is something in the backup causing the problem.
I was thinking that too. But how would I get my data back? If it were to sync again, wouldn't the problem still happen?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I was thinking that too. But how would I get my data back? If it were to sync again, wouldn't the problem still happen?
Well, that's the kicker. Won't get any data back. Restoring is a PITA in more ways than one.:dft004:tears

ninja

Aug 9, 2009
Well, that's the kicker. Won't get any data back. Restoring is a PITA in more ways than one.:dft004:tears
Ooooh:(. My phone was jailbroken before,does that have anything to do with it? Like I forgot to change a certain setting(don't know which one that does that), then went back to original firmware but the jailbroken setting was still left somehow?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Ooooh:(. My phone was jailbroken before,does that have anything to do with it? Like I forgot to change a certain setting(don't know which one that does that), then went back to original firmware but the jailbroken setting was still left somehow?
Have never done a JB, but just from reading here on the forum it is a high possibility that something was left over that is causing the problem. Hopefully someone that knows more will jump in.

ninja

Aug 9, 2009
Have never done a JB, but just from reading here on the forum it is a high possibility that something was left over that is causing the problem. Hopefully someone that knows more will jump in.
Yeah...thanks for the help though. Now that I think about it,I guess I can deal with it for now because I obviously don't want to go through all the hassle of getting every app back manually and everything else,after all it's just the screen dimming. I'll just wait till I get a new iPhone whenever or for someone that knows more about the jailbreaking stuff. BTW,what's the thanks and thanked thing next to your avi,since I'm obviously new

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
BTW,what's the thanks and thanked thing next to your avi,since I'm obviously new
Welcome to EIC. Best place in the universe to learn and discuss the iPhone. When you reach 25 post, you will see a "Thanks" button". You use this to thank someone for a post that you found useful. The longer you stick around, you will be giving them and receiving.

ninja

Aug 9, 2009
Welcome to EIC. Best place in the universe to learn and discuss the iPhone. When you reach 25 post, you will see a "Thanks" button". You use this to thank someone for a post that you found useful. The longer you stick around, you will be giving them and receiving.
Oooooohhhhhh........:)

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
I don't think that, that is a serious problem, an less serious to do a restore, but hey dats just me, but to help with your problem, I agree with turner, restore as a new phone an not from backup, this will set the phone to the same settings as you first got it.

ninja

Aug 9, 2009
I don't think that, that is a serious problem, an less serious to do a restore, but hey dats just me, but to help with your problem, I agree with turner, restore as a new phone an not from backup, this will set the phone to the same settings as you first got it.
Yeah, I see what you mean...it was just something that bugged me and something that would probably bother others you know? I can deal with it though, I was just asking if there was anyway to solve it or what caused it just to clear things up. When it first happened I thought my phone crashed on me since it just shut downed the screen without the dim but I got used to it.

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
Yeah, I see what you mean...it was just something that bugged me and something that would probably bother others you know? I can deal with it though, I was just asking if there was anyway to solve it or what caused it just to clear things up. When it first happened I thought my phone crashed on me since it just shut downed the screen without the dim but I got used to it.
Hey I totally understand, an go ahead ask as many questions dat you want, Ima always try and help you out no matter what the problem
is, it doesn't bother me that's you ask I'm always happy to help anybody And dat I can and share my thoughs of what I
think of the problem, I was just saying that I don't think it's a serious problem, But ill Be happy to help you

Unfortunately I don't know how to solve it cause I've
never used the auto lock feature on the
iPhone, but I'm sure that a if you restore as a new phone it will solve the problem, just make sure that you have synced all your apps cause that's the most important part, then restore and If your
phone still ain't right, well figure something out, just try that first and let me know

ninja

Aug 9, 2009
Hey I totally understand, an go ahead ask as many questions dat you want, Ima always try and help you out no matter what the problem
is, it doesn't bother me that's you ask I'm always happy to help anybody And dat I can and share my thoughs of what I
think of the problem, I was just saying that I don't think it's a serious problem, But ill Be happy to help you

Unfortunately I don't know how to solve it cause I've
never used the auto lock feature on the
iPhone, but I'm sure that a if you restore as a new phone it will solve the problem, just make sure that you have synced all your apps cause that's the most important part, then restore and If your
phone still ain't right, well figure something out, just try that first and let me know
Ok:). But I forgot to mention that the only reason I restored it the first time was to get out of 3.0 JB and upgrade to 3.0.1. So yeah. That's what dturner said but I still don't know how to get everything back without using the backup?

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
Ok:). But I forgot to mention that the only reason I restored it the first time was to get out of 3.0 JB and upgrade to 3.0.1. So yeah. That's what dturner said but I still don't know how to get everything back without using the backup?
ok, when you restore as a new phone, just hit SYNC and you should get all the apps that you synced before, and if you don't have apps that you got before your last backup(meaning that the apps that you bougth, you didn't sync before the problem, meaning that these apps that you got arent in iTunes), for this, you go to your email that is linked to your app store account, you check the receipt for the apps that you got, and you hit REPORT A PROBLEM, iTunes will open and you will send and email to Apple saying I didn't RECEIVE THIS APP, PLEASE LET ME RE DOWNLOAD AGAIN, Apple should respond within 24 hours and they will always agree, saying something like this, IM SORRY FOR THIS PROBLEM, BUT YOUR APP SHOULD BE READY TO RE DOWNLOAD IN iTunes AGAIN, SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE,

and you should do all this for the apps that you downloaded but didn't get a chance to sync

and of course for your music and videos and alll that, its the same, hoped i help

Last edited by a moderator: