iPhone screen fix! Urgent

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by codyr0se, Nov 7, 2011.

1. codyr0se

codyr0se New Member

As seen above my iPhone 4 was dropped flat on the concrete from about 2 feet. I don't want to spend 140 dollars which is what a local store offers to fix it with a new screen and digitizer. my friend told me it could be fixed if i just bought an iPhone 4 glass screen. there are kits on ebay that have tools needed t pry it off and such and fix it. Is this a good idea to go ahead and do this? as seen the piece by the top speaker if falling off and is folded down but can be lifted up. DO i need a new digitizer or could i just buy a glass screen and install it. Is this an easy task?
    what are some good cases to protect me from future mistakes such as this?

http://postimage.org/image/4158h1qyp/
    http://postimage.org/image/a3cv7jfep/
    http://postimage.org/image/8ctu61xvl/

please help!
    cody

#1 codyr0se, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  2. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

My advice is take to an Apple store and see if they will replace it. I had a friend that dropped theirs and took it in and Apple replaced for them. I have heard a lot of times they will 1 time during your ownership of the phone.

If they say no then at least you tried.

Also squaretrade is a popular insurance plans on this board.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. codyr0se

codyr0se New Member

do you know when she got this fixed and what generation iPhone she has? i haven't tried asking yet but surely will. Did she have to pay?

4. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

She had an iPhone 4 and they did not charge her anything because she was honest. The guy at the store told her that if you come in sincere and have not had one replaced before they will give you a freebie.

I haven't cracked a screen (knock on wood!) but she had success with visiting the genius bar.

Good luck to you and sorry you had the accident. Also maybe a licensing case might be a good choice for you

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I am visiting Kansas City from LA and went to Apple store yesterday with a friend who got an iPhone 4 a few days before the S came out. She dropped it and shattered the screen.. She has always had an iPhone and Apple care, never an issue.. She was honest with the guy and he was rather rude! Told her the only option was to pay $150 for a replacement..

Another guy was there with an iPad (3 weeks old that had been dropped) and they told him it would be $400..

I think it depends on the luck of the draw and / or the store as I have seen the Apple store in LA do free one time replacements.. This Kansas City store was rude and obviously not into replacing even for long time and honest users...

Good luck with Apple as its obviously a crap shoot...

••Sent from my iPhone 4S••

6. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

That is a really good point. Here in our location outside of Atlanta they are really good to work with you. I have heard many stories where people have gotten help for free. Bit they do NOT have to.

Cody - did you go and try the store? Just wondering what happened.

7. codyr0se

codyr0se New Member

MuscleMommy,
    did your friend go to the store in atlanta? Lenox Mall? I really want to go to a place that will work with me like your friend was worked with and i live in lower atlanta. any idea exactly where your friend went(which store location) to get it fixed for free? i do not want to drive all the way somewhere if they wont be negotiable.

#7 codyr0se, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  8. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

They went to the one in Alpaharetta at North Point Mall. We live up in Cumming so that is the closes store to us. What part of Georgia are you in exactly?

9. codyr0se

codyr0se New Member

im down in Fayetteville(30215) and just want a store that will do it for free!

10. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

WTG Cody! See told you just to go in be honest and see what they say. Congrats on getting it fixed! Now take care of it this time with a case or something;)

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I agree that it is the luck of the draw - either the Store or the Genius. I tried twice to get a free replacement for the sync cable that frayed at the 30 pin connector, with no luck. A GF of mine went into the same store and got a replacement. Reminds me of my favorite line from Erin Brockovich: "They're called boobs, Ed!"

12. codyr0se

codyr0se New Member

i haven't gone to any stores yet its still cracked.........lol misread? im probably gonna make some phone calls and go this weekend

13. MuscleMommy

MuscleMommy Contributor
    Bronze

Oh I did misread - sorry I thougth you said you found a store to fix it lol

14. codyr0se

codyr0se New Member

i hope they fix it for free! cross your fingers #cmonnow