iPhone selling time again

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Rafagon, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's that time of the year again, when some of us will be looking to sell our current iPhone to help fund the purchase of the upcoming model. I myself am looking to sell my iPhone 5s, and today I found a website called Glyde which promises to help you sell your iPhone, any model from the 3GS and up.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 3.19.36 PM.png (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

I'm considering going with them because they're offering a generous amount of money, but having had a speedy and great experience with Gazelle last year, I'm more willing to go with them, even if I get a little less money, because I already know them and have actually known about them for years.

Have any of you used Glyde before? Did you have a good or bad experience?

#1 Rafagon, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I may try this, although I have had very good luck getting near what I want for my iPhone on eBay.

3. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I have used Gazelle twice now and will most likely use them again. I'm always highly cautious about using a new place that I am unfamiliar with.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I didn't know about Gazelle, but I'll compare what I get at both places and use that to make my decision.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

If I remember correctly, eBay I get $350-400. My iPhone is always new looking (great condition).

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That is really good. It's over half of the retail price. I just try to avoid eBay in general unless I'm doing a Buy It Now.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What I do is a buy it now and an auction with a minimum.

8. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Contributor
    Bronze

Another vote for Gazelle, real easy and hassle free.

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I use Gazelle but I may try Glyde if they offer more.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The thing that worries me about Glyde is that you're not selling it to Glyde. You're selling it to regular Joes who go to the website and select "Buy" instead of "Sell." So, what guarantees are in place that the buyer will pay up?

Here are the steps to selling on Glyde. They list three simple steps, but they fail to mention where in those steps is it that Glyde collects the funds from the purchaser. I don't want to ship my iPhone out until I know that the funds have been collected from the purchaser and are in Glyde's possession.

When you sell it to Gazelle, you're actually selling it to Gazelle, itself, and not random people who visit their website.

I'm not really big on Ebay— I've sold maybe two or three items, and that was prior to 2008. So my ratings on that site are probably very poor, so who would want to buy an iPhone from me given that I haven't sold anything in 6 years.

Not big on craiglist either. I've never sold a single item through them. Or purchased one, for that matter.

Finally, I could always try the Marketplace Forum right here on eiC, as I'm sure I could easily trust any member with one of the higher labels like Bronze, or Platinum, or Gold... I haven't memorized all the new terms yet.

I need to do a bit more research on Glyde... like their ratings on Facebook, etc...etc...

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I sold an iPhone on Craigslist once. It took ten minutes to set up the account and make the post. The phone sold about an hour later and I got almost twice as much as Gazelle would have given me. I met the guy at the grocery store near my house for security purposes. It was a piece of cake. I'd do it again because I prefer to get the actual value rather than letting an online pawn shop put it up on eBay and make that profit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

+1 for Craig's list. Sold two iPhones on it. Simple, fast, and I got a good price both times. Starbuck's once. Grocery store parking lot once.

I'm thinking maybe a meet at midnight behind a bar for this sale.

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

With carriers moving away from charging the subsidized pricing when upgrading contract phone, and instead offering devices on monthly installment plans, it will be less of an impact on the wallet for some on launch day....

That being said, I will likely still sell my Pangu'd 5 on local craigslist. The sales tax on that 128GB 5.5 iPhone 6 is gonna be a pretty penny...:D

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Glyde doesn't offer a fixed amount: They give you a slider that you use to select the amount of money you would like for your iPhone. Of course, if you ask for less money, you'll sell it quicker. Glyde even gives you a midpoint so that you know what the Market Price is. And a bonus... you can select whether you want to be payed in US Dollars or Bitcoin.

Here's a screen capture I made so you can see the site in action before you decide if you want to create an account there. Note: It'll be much easier to read if you go full-screen @ 1080p HD. :)

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'll be keeping my iPhone 5 for a back up. I regretted trading in my 4 with Verizon. I was ignorant then and thought the $67 they gave me was ok. I could have gotten $200+ on eBay. But in hindsight, I should have kept it as a back up and 2nd phone to do betas on. Who said carriers are moving away from the 2 year contract subsidies? I don't recall reading or hearing that. They have added options.

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

That was me.

IIRC, carries were losing lots of dough on the "subsidy" deals they offered, especially for iPhone contracts, a have started moving away from contracts, instead pushing installment "buys".

For me on Sprint, it works well, as I don't have to come up with the (199-299-399) unsubsidized base portion. I'll just be on the hook out the door for the sales tax, AND can upgrade in a year.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't see it that way. They get their money back through the high monthly service charges and have insurance against early contract termination (ETFs). Instead, I think they see this as a way to make even more money by catering to those who want to upgrade every year but don't have the cash on hand to pay full cost or partial subsidy rates every other year. The NEXT plan subscriber who upgrades annually pays more in the long run because they can't sell the devices at the end of the year.

18. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Sorry, meant to say that I had READ the blurb about carrier claims of losing money w/subsidized iPhones. I don't actually BELIEVE it....

I do realize it will be more expensive in the long run, just trying to make myself feel better since I had to give up our unlimited family plan and join the "Framily" to get @MrsSnowtrooper1966 a much needed 5S for free :D

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You may see a free 5s somewhere. It may not be with your carrier though. I was surprised when Verizon gave my wife a free 32 gb 5c. She ended up getting an Otterbox Defender for free as well. Deals are already cropping up. Keep on the watch!

20. snowtrooper1966

Gold

^
    She got it two weeks ago when we switched plans. It was a "carrot" for us to switch over from our old unlimited plan.