iPhone setting to avoid text messages?

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have a text plan with my iPhone 3GS. I rarely if ever text, perhaps once every 6 months. However, I receive text messages from spam or wrong numbers. I still have to pay for those messages since I'm not under any plan. Is there anyway I can turn off messaging on my iPhone settings?

Thanks.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I don't think there is an option for this, especially since you can't even edit the SMS center's number.

I'd just ask AT&T to turn off SMS on your account, period...

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
yeah, I think you are right. I will probably have to give AT&T a call and see what they can do. Thanks.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I don't have a text plan with my iPhone 3GS. I rarely if ever text, perhaps once every 6 months. However, I receive text messages from spam or wrong numbers. I still have to pay for those messages since I'm not under any plan. Is there anyway I can turn off messaging on my iPhone settings?

Thanks.
I agree. I would have AT&T block text messaging. In those particular cases when you need to send a "text," just use your e-mail to send a text.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
You get charged to receive SMS's?
Thats harsh, on o2, whether you have credit or not, to receive an SMS is free...

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
In the States, both the sender and the recipient are charged for each message. :(
Wow thats harsh. I would have some seriously high bills if that were the case here.

Although im a little pissed at the moment. o2 have removed their £7.50 unlimited text bolt on. So now, the maximum texts you can have is 500...

Quickly goes