iPhone SIM card in Blackberries

JmmyEWayn

Jul 17, 2007
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could use my iPhone SIM card in my blackberry 8800. I tried it at the ATT store with an employee's 8800. The blackberry was able to turn on but the "edge" symbol was in lower casing. The employee told me that it should have been in capital letters in order to have unlimited data.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could use my iPhone SIM card in my blackberry 8800. I tried it at the ATT store with an employee's 8800. The blackberry was able to turn on but the "edge" symbol was in lower casing. The employee told me that it should have been in capital letters in order to have unlimited data.

Thats a bit of info for me to know..

E = unlimited data plan

e = no data plan

JmmyEWayn

Jul 17, 2007
Well, I guess the phone still has data if edge is written in lower case letters. However, to have unlimited data, it has to be capitalized. I don't know how to confirm this fact, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm not so sure about that. The unlimited data is on the account and the SIM card doesn't know which phone it's in. I worked with Cingular at one time and have had Cingular/AT&T now for almost six years, and this is the first I've heard of the big E and little e story. It sort of reminds me of an old SNL sketch though. :D

JmmyEWayn

Jul 17, 2007
I guess I would just start using the 8800 and see if I get charged extra on my ATT account. Thanks for giving those thoughts.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I guess I would just start using the 8800 and see if I get charged extra on my ATT account. Thanks for giving those thoughts.
Yeah. Just check your account online and it will still be tracking your data usage against your unlimited plan.

It should be something like "12.5MB of Unlimited" and have a bar graph for text messages.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am not sure if you are being charged extra, but I know that the "edge" is different than "EDGE." I think you have to have "EDGE" to get any data, but I may be wrong. My husband has "edge" and is getting no data, but we put a new SIM in my old BB with a non-BB data plan.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
yeah if you put in your iPhone sim card in a blackberry you will not be able to get any data. you can tell this when non of the globes download onto the unit, and not being able to set up personal email. it will be just like a regular phone, you can send a receive txts but that's it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I am not sure if you are being charged extra, but I know that the "edge" is different than "EDGE." I think you have to have "EDGE" to get any data, but I may be wrong. My husband has "edge" and is getting no data, but we put a new SIM in my old BB with a non-BB data plan.
Well, I guess that explains why they have specific BB data plans. Maybe RIM gets some sort of kickback just like Apple. IF you put it in a Moto RAZR, I'll bet it would work just fine.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Well, I guess that explains why they have specific BB data plans. Maybe RIM gets some sort of kickback just like Apple. IF you put it in a Moto RAZR, I'll bet it would work just fine.
Thats correct, you have to have a BB plan to use the data part on a blackberry device. A standard data plan will not work. But yeah if you put your sim card in a regular 3g phone or any phone it will work properly and you can still browse the internet on the phone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Thats correct, you have to have a BB plan to use the data part on a blackberry device. A standard data plan will not work. But yeah if you put your sim card in a regular 3g phone or any phone it will work properly and you can still browse the internet on the phone.
Good to know. IF I picked up a BB for my son at a decent upgrade price, then I wouldn't have to worry about him running up a per usage data bill, but he could still utilize his text plan.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
the bb is a unique phone... if u are not paying for the bb service it will not go online so u don't have to worry about pay per use on this... it is not possible... as for the bb not working this is only for this phone, put your sim card in any other phone and it will go online, including treo, i have done this and it never has charged me outside what i pay for [iPhone unlimited internet plan]

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Good to know. IF I picked up a BB for my son at a decent upgrade price, then I wouldn't have to worry about him running up a per usage data bill, but he could still utilize his text plan.
Yeah that is correct, i work for att in there warranty service. So thats all i do is play with phones and try my iPhone sim card in other phones and see what happens. Thought i could get the data to work on a bb, but it didn't. But i got it work on a blackjack though which was cool.

keldig

Oct 15, 2007
Yeah that is correct, i work for att in there warranty service. So thats all i do is play with phones and try my iPhone sim card in other phones and see what happens. Thought i could get the data to work on a bb, but it didn't. But i got it work on a blackjack though which was cool.
was that a 3G phone and did you get 3G speed?

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah its just that the iPhone doesn't have the 3g chip built into it, so it cant get 3g. But if you have a 3gphone it will get 3g as long as the area has the 3g coverage

keldig

Oct 15, 2007
well i have a 3G phone but I think ATT blocked me some how because i use to get 3G on that phone via the iPhone sim in it but now i don't:oops:. any ideas?

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have used my sim card in the iPhone (original), moved it to the Tilt (no problems and 3G), put it in the unlocked HP 510 smartphone (EDGE only but, works just fine) and a Razor. Blackberry is a totally different and the data will not work without changing to a Blackberry plan.

One item of note, none of the "3G" features such as AT&T video work on the Tilt. It states that I have to have a different plan but, email, web surfing and the like work just fine. I reallly liked the live search and GPS. But, alas, I keep going back to the iPhone.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I used to work for AT&T Wireless several years ago. As far as I know, doesn't matter what phone you're using, billing is based on what you have on your account which is connected through your SIM card. So data usage should still be unlimited even if you're not on a BB plan and using a BB. But I would always double check online.

I've used a Blackberry Curve for 6 months before getting my iPhone and I've always seen "edge" in lower case letters. I may be wrong but it may depend on what theme on the BB you're using. Some themes will show it in UPPERCASE and LOWERCASE. So a clarification on this would be great because I plan on using my BB as a spare incase something goes wrong with my iPhone.

It is true that you do need a BB plan to access data services on a BB device BUT there are ways around it. When trying to access the internet through your BB and IF it doesn't go through to it's homepage just hit the menu button hit "go to www" and manually type in the website you're going to. This should work as it did for me.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps!