iPhone SIM card in Unlocked Novatel Card

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
So I got an unlocked Novatel Expresscard to use with my Macbook for wireless data and it works like a charm. I have configured the APN to wap.cingular and the data works great over their 3G network.

My question is: can ATT distinguish the difference between iPhone data and PC card data? Will I be charged for the times that I put my SIM card into the data card?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So I got an unlocked Novatel Expresscard to use with my Macbook for wireless data and it works like a charm. I have configured the APN to wap.cingular and the data works great over their 3G network.

My question is: can ATT distinguish the difference between iPhone data and PC card data? Will I be charged for the times that I put my SIM card into the data card?

I think that the only thing that they can see is the amount of data being drawn down. say the phone pulls a webpage down and in total, its around 1.2 MB. The time it takes to pull down versus a actual laptop might be completely different. Plus, the laptop might be pulling down MORE data that the iPhone cannot.
I know the iPhone can browse most webpages "normally", but I still think that there are cookies and certificates that are skipped, where a normal PC would pick them up.
Other than that, it shouldn't be too distinguishable.

noah82

Bronze
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Well after doing this for the past 2 months, I can verify that it does work! I got an unlocked Novatel Wireless ExpressCard, took my SIM card out of my iPhone, and put it into the card and into my MacBook Pro. I put in the Cingular settings into the network preferences, and in 2 minutes I was surfing the internet with 3G speeds!

Keep in mind I am a VERY light user, but after 2 months of using it for a couple periods of 30 minute web browsing, there are NO extra charges on my ATT bill. I would not press my luck by slinging or downloading large files, but for light, emergency internet access it works like a charm!