iPhone SIM to another Smartphone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I would like to get a smartphone (blackberry or treo) to use when I travel so I don't have to bring my iPhone. Would the iPhone SIM work in one of those and could the iPhone data/text plan be used in one of these devices? Has anyone done (or is doing) this or tried it?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The sim will work in any gsm phone. I think there are a few people (more than a few, actually) who are also using the new Tilt. I imagine at least a few of them are swapping sims around. I've got a Treo and an 8125, but frankly I've been too chicken to use the sim in them. I was told when I got the iPhone that the data would be billed per kb if the sim was switched to another phone. I've later read (and believe) that was bogus info - data is data.

Now, that being said, I've owned most of the smartphones out there with the exception of BBs and the new Tilt, and I do NOT recommend Treos. I know they've supposedly come a long way since the days of the unstable 650s and 700s, but after giving them the benefit of the doubt over 5 years and three different models, I gave up on Palm providing a stable, up to date platform for the high prices the Treos command. I've been very tempted to play with a Tilt. If my region had 3g, I would probably succumb...

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I am glad this was posted. I am thinking of getting the Tilt. I was wondering about swapping the sim card from the iPhone to the Tilt and using the data plan from the iPhone with the tilt. Any thoughts about doing this? :laugh2:

Sep 28, 2007
A sim card is a sim card. I swap my sim card arnd my unlocked phones all the time. What i wanna know is if an AT&T unactivated sim card will will work with say a T-mobile phone. I mean everytime i call them to activate a sim card, all the ask me is the number on the back. If thats all it takes, could it possibly work?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've swapped my iPhone SIM card in a Moto Q 9h and BlackBerry Curve. The Curve will only work for phone calls -- you need to activate a second line w/ a BlackBerry plan. The Moto Q 9h uses standard data plans.

As for AT&T knowing and charging for using a different smartphone, that's news to me. Scary, but news. If anyone has experienced this, I'd certainly like to know. No one likes an unexpected $1k phone bill.

-Chris

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I've swapped my iPhone SIM card in a Moto Q 9h and BlackBerry Curve. The Curve will only work for phone calls -- you need to activate a second line w/ a BlackBerry plan. The Moto Q 9h uses standard data plans.

As for AT&T knowing and charging for using a different smartphone, that's news to me. Scary, but news. If anyone has experienced this, I'd certainly like to know. No one likes an unexpected $1k phone bill.

-Chris
I imagine, if you've used your sim in a Q and did any web surfing, you'd know if what I was told was bogus (as I imagine it was). At a /kb charge, it would be a noticeable bump in your bill for even a few minutes of active surfing. I also imagine, by now, someone would have posted one of those ALL CAPS threads that are usually so entertaining to read ;)

What I was told specifically was that any data or texting would be charged to my bill in a per use manner. I haven't really had the desire or need to use my old Treo or 8125, so I haven't tested the theory personally. Surely by now, though, someone would have made the discovery of extra data/text charges on their ATT bill...

Sobrnola

Oct 4, 2007
why does the iPhone need its own sim card? I still don't understand why I had to abandon my old sim but I can now use the iPhone sim on other phones. Someone please clear this up.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
why does the iPhone need its own sim card? I still don't understand why I had to abandon my old sim but I can now use the iPhone sim on other phones. Someone please clear this up.
The only three reasonable explanations I have come up with are
1. Activating news SIMs with each iPhone allows ATT to keep more accurate statistics re. usage...
2. A lot of people using older, non-data capable (non 3g) SIMs...
3. The whole "special SIM" thing to prevent us swapping cards around so much.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have swapped my SIM back and forth between my iPhone and my Nokia 6620 with an AT&T rep on the phone ( was getting text messages from them for some trivia thing that they couldn't readily turn off) and she couldn't tell when the card was in which phone. The only problem was voicemail, obviously since I didn't have visual voicemail on the 6620.
That being said, I am sure that eventually the IMEI number is eventually transmitted to them and they can determine what phone is online. Probably during one of those GSM handshakes that happen every so often. But I doubt AT&T would actually do much about it so long as whatever plan is setup is being used.
As far as going to a different carrier with an AT&T sim as Mike T77 asked about, that would be a different story. I'm not exactly sure how the SIM's numbers are distributed, but I am pretty sure that each carrier is given a range to work in and a company can identify if the SIM is theirs or not. Don't know if they could activated it on their system, but my instinct says yes. When I was AT&T and moved to Cingular and updated my plan, I had to get a new SIM, even though my AT&T chip worked fine on their network. There could be a couple reasons for that, but in the end, I think it's just an activation code on the chip.

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I have swapped my SIM back and forth between my iPhone and my Nokia 6620 with an AT&T rep on the phone ( was getting text messages from them for some trivia thing that they couldn't readily turn off) and she couldn't tell when the card was in which phone. The only problem was voicemail, obviously since I didn't have visual voicemail on the 6620.
That being said, I am sure that eventually the IMEI number is eventually transmitted to them and they can determine what phone is online. Probably during one of those GSM handshakes that happen every so often. But I doubt AT&T would actually do much about it so long as whatever plan is setup is being used.
As far as going to a different carrier with an AT&T sim as Mike T77 asked about, that would be a different story. I'm not exactly sure how the SIM's numbers are distributed, but I am pretty sure that each carrier is given a range to work in and a company can identify if the SIM is theirs or not. Don't know if they could activated it on their system, but my instinct says yes. When I was AT&T and moved to Cingular and updated my plan, I had to get a new SIM, even though my AT&T chip worked fine on their network. There could be a couple reasons for that, but in the end, I think it's just an activation code on the chip.
I should actually clarify this; the smartphone I would get would be a cingular/at&T phone....

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
When I got my new iPhone, I called AT&T and told them to transfer my details from my old Cingular SIM to the new AT&T SIM that came with the iPhone. They just transferred my line to the new SIM (gave them the number on the SIM).

I only did this, as I swap my SIM card around with various phones all the time and it was beginning to fall apart. Took about 6 hours for the transfer and it's all free.