iPhone skips to next track Randomly.

Oct 17, 2007
So as the title says, When I sync my music to the phone I will get random songs that will skip to the next track at random points in the song. If I fast forward through the skip, the rest of the song is still there. Sometime even after I fast forward though the song, another skip point will be there at a different point in the song.

Now, I have taken all the music off the iPhone and re-synced after rebooting (hard boot) and restarting everything. It does the same things, but to DIFFERENT songs. The skip points are never in the same place twice and are very annoying.

Also, this is the 2nd iPhone that has done thins to me. I have created a different user on my computer that does not start up anything but the core operating system. No Anti-virus, no nothing besides the Apple apps. (this was suggested by the iPhone tech.)

The entire song exists on iTunes with no skips or flaws, but somehow in the transfer I get these random skips.

Since I kept having issues with the phone they gave me a new one but the same problem exists.

I am running Vista Pro, and not 64 bit.

Anyone here

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
it may be an issue with the file itself.... did you download them from iTunes, rip them from a cd, or download them on limewire or another p2p file sharing program? if it is from anything besides iTunes it may be a bad rip of the file.... try to re encode the files then upload them again

Oct 17, 2007
it may be an issue with the file itself.... did you download them from iTunes, rip them from a cd, or download them on limewire or another p2p file sharing program? if it is from anything besides iTunes it may be a bad rip of the file.... try to re encode the files then upload them again
Everything is from the cd I own. The files are completely there on iTunes (I played them back on there to make sure) and have no issues. Only on the iPhone there is a problem.

Like I said, if I delete the files and put them back on the iPhone, a different bunch of songs will have the skip and not in the same time, or location.

It is not on the CPU side, only the iPhone/iPhone Transfer side.

Oct 17, 2007
Well To inform people, I took my songs that I wanted on my iPhone and put them on my Laptop which is running Windows XP.

I stilled iTunes there, and sync'd my phone there with the songs.

NO PROBLEMS.

So somewhere in the programing of Vista and the iPhone the transfers must have been getting more info then needed, thus creating "skip" points.

I guess the iPhone needs more programming to fix all the bugs.

Nov 16, 2007
Well To inform people, I took my songs that I wanted on my iPhone and put them on my Laptop which is running Windows XP.

I stilled iTunes there, and sync'd my phone there with the songs.

NO PROBLEMS.

So somewhere in the programing of Vista and the iPhone the transfers must have been getting more info then needed, thus creating "skip" points.

I guess the iPhone needs more programming to fix all the bugs.
I registered on this forum just to thank you for posting your problem and a solution.

I had the exact same problem as you did. But this also affected any Video content on my iPhone which I either tranfered myself or downloaded from the iTunes store. The video would play, but at a certain point the sound would drop out and the video would stop playing. If I fast forward past the trouble spot, it ran fine.

What I did was make a dual boot partition with Vista and my old copy of XP. It took a bit to reinstall XP because of various drivers and patches. But after doing all that... The problem I had been experiencing disappeared.

If anyone out there is interested in creating a dual boot system. Here is a site detailing the steps. Link. I used Acronis Disk Director for the first half. But then I followed the rest of the steps and had no problems.

Again thank you PhantomGhost for making the above posts.

F

farinspace

I have this problem with video content, it will skip or pause then the video will shutoff (iPhone returns to the videos selection screen) ... These issues usually happen when ... during the conversion or during the syncing to the iPhone, im doing something else on the computer (using other resources during convert and/or sync) ... since ive started doing my conversion at night (with no interruptions and since i turn off all other programs while iTunes is open and syncing, the issue has seemed to go away ...

yeayea

Mar 22, 2010
Ok, so ppl think that its cause its on a vista machine, well, I got some news to add. I have the new macbook pro and the 3gs iPhone and a mixture of songs that my iPhone does this with. Some are ripped from cd's i bought or borrowed, some are downloaded, some are bought from iTunes. My iPhone will randomly choose songs to skip and it is getting quite bothersome.

Remember, I am using the new macbook and the new iPhone together. any suggestions?

yeayea

Mar 22, 2010
@the Apple

I do not have shake to shuffle on, and this happens when the phone is docked onto speakers (which are not moving)...sorry for the sarcasm there but I have read the many threads related to this and my shake to shuffle is indeed turned off and the reason is not because it skipped songs but because its hard to use, you really have to shake it hard to get it to shuffle and it feels a bit moronic, and then when you don't want it to shuffle it does cause its turned on....weird.

but no, there is no tone, it just stops playing at some random point within the track and then goes on to the next song and does it again and again but only with certain albums and then sometimes not with those albums but with other albums....maybe the phone is just too sensitive to "glitches." whereas those same tracks play fine on the computer, on other mp3 players, on mp3 cds....etc.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hehe, I got an infraction in this thread. Memories...

Regarding random skipping, I would be inclined to think it's a short in your headphone jack (making the phone think you're pressing the button on the stock headphones to skip tracks). I would try a quick shot of compressed air and see if it gets any better.

If this only happens on headphones, you might want to try another pair as well to eliminate the issue being there.

yeayea

Mar 22, 2010
ok, so....if you read please, it is docked when it does this. meaning, no headphones...although, i could be using bluetooth head phones when it happens, but it is docked on speakers so its just sitting there. i dunno wat to do...should i go in and get anther one? it kinda sucks tho cause i don't want to have to get all new apps again

Mar 31, 2010
The Apple, you saved me! I'm a mac user so this vista stuff doesn't apply, but Shake to Shuffle was turned on (what a stupid feature!) and I couldn't figure out why my songs kept skipping randomly!

NiCkMiLnE

Bronze
Apr 18, 2010
UK
i had this recently too but it was at a specific time during any track...re-synced and all was well again. just thought id add that incase anyone encountered the same issue as me :)

Jun 26, 2010
Answer/Solution

Hey guys,

I've had the same problem the last few days and it was driving me crazy. What eventually helped was: I turned off zonealarm (firewall) and put the resident shield of AVG9 off, and it worked like a charm. I suspect mostly AVG to be interfering with the copying of the files, so whatever antivirus program you have, turn it off temporarily and it should work just fine.

Good luck to you all!

alg300c

Mar 26, 2011
its Apples problem not ours and they have never addressed it or even said they were aware of it.. they are aware of it.

So you buy a iPhone for 200.00 or more and the software they write into it for music is defective. Gee thats just wonderful...... but wait there more! Then they do nothing about it as they count your money u spent!

This is an issue going on for over a yr + nothing new to this Apple platform. just like there answer to the poor design of antenna on !phone 4 what a joke that 1 was.