iPhone SMS - can I get it to work with my Mac?

May 31, 2007
Hi. I've got an 'old' iPhone and a Mac running leopard. Can I get the phone to pair (or otherwise interact) with my computer so that I can send and receive SMS messages through my computer keyboard, etc?

I used to do it with some of my old phones using Address Book and such but I can't seem to find out how to do it with this iPhone.

I'm asking because I find the 'keyboard' on the iPhone to be fiddly at best...

Thanks all!

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
hi you can't connect your iPhone to you mac in any standard fashion with a stock phone. Does your provider provide a web SMS service?

May 31, 2007
I'm on O2 in the UK.
Seems a bit odd that Apple hasn't allowed this basic, rather useful function doesn't it?

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
You can't even forward an SMS on the iPhone. There are a lot of really useful/common place features you will notice are missing. However there are others that will amaze you also. You pays your money you take your chances.

x4x5x1x

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wyandotte Mi
www.myspace.com
if you are using AOL messenger you can add people to your buddy list and use aim to talk to them. click add buddy then type in a plus sign (+) then the persons phone number with the area code. the you should be able to send them messages from your computer for free. now if this works in other countries i have no idea. im in the states so it works just fine here

May 31, 2007
Wow, does that work in the UK and sending to my friends who don't use AIM?
It goes directly to their phone?

x4x5x1x

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wyandotte Mi
www.myspace.com
in the UK...i have no clue. i assume your phone numbers are set up different but i would think it would still work. just put in the + then their full number. ours are set up like this (555)444-3333 so i would put in +15554443333. it doesn't matter if they use aim or not, it will go right to their phone.

x4x5x1x

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wyandotte Mi
www.myspace.com
just thought of this. if you were a 3g user with the AIM app from the appstore you could send free sms messages all you wanted....damn.....time to upgrade:p

let us know if that works for the UK phone number too