iPhone software screwed... help!

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Hi guys, I need you to work some magic for me one more time, haha. =D

Okay, anyways, I installed caterpillar and it pretty much messed up my iPhone. Restored and rejailbroke and it was kinda laggy but seemed to work. Furthermore, I installed customize 2.0 and I got the infinite loop of death so I had to restore again.

To finish it up, my iPhone is screwed but only when jailbroken. Normal when at stock settings. But it seems like regular restores don't work on it anymore. Any suggestions on how I could rejailbreak?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
The one thing that has made things work 100% better for a lot of folks when restoring and then re-jailbreaking, is to make sure that after your restore to a clean 1.1.4 (I assume) you then select to setup a NEW partnership with iTunes.

New in this case has nothing to do with activating your phone or any of that sort of contractual stuff - it purely means a new sync partnership with iTunes.

For quite a number of ZiPhone jailbreakers on 1.1.4, this one step has got them past a variety of issues.

I have not used Caterpillar or Customize with 1.1.4, so no clue whether this will help you in relation to those two - though it sounds like you may not be revisiting Caterpillar ...

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Patrickj is right, there are a lot of little files and settings that get stuck into the phone when you sync it with a backup that you wouldn't think originally affects the phone. It is best to do the full restore and sync it completely new in iTunes. To hang onto your contacts just sync it to outlook or something of the like before you restore it. Good luck!

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah, I actually even tried that. Didn't work. After that, there was no sound at all on my phone. Any other ideas?

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Patrickj is right, there are a lot of little files and settings that get stuck into the phone when you sync it with a backup that you wouldn't think originally affects the phone. It is best to do the full restore and sync it completely new in iTunes. To hang onto your contacts just sync it to outlook or something of the like before you restore it. Good luck!
Is there another way of syncing my contacts aside from outlook? I've tried this and outlook doesn’t have much customizability for contacts. I usually do it this way on my contacts especially if they have two cell phones.

John Doe
Cingular 1 (555) 555-5555
T-Mobile 1 (555) 555-5556

Mary Jane
Verison 1 (555) 555-5557

You can't edit the fields in outlook and I don't want to use the standard fields like home, work, others, etc etc etc. I like to do it this way so that I can track minutes and know who is in my network.