iPhone software update 3.1, now 3.1.1 ,what happened to September 25?

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
what in world is happening?
iTunes 9 comes out
than 3.1 update, now 3.1.1 according to engadget

nanos get cameras now. Apple site is slow, jailbreak looks impossible...

didn't att say on 25th an update will bring mms. wat happened to that?

i don't see any improovements over anything except for iTunes 9 support and app genius support.

besides dumb comments i will take any comments or thoughts. thanks! :eek:k:eek:k

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I can't say for sure, but from what I have been reading 3.1 is for the iPhone and 3.1.1 is for the iPod touch. Not sure exactly why, maybe because on the 25th iPhones will get 3.1.1 and Apple wants to keep both the iPhone and iPod touch on the same #. The iPod touch won't get any benefit from the 25th 3.1.1 update so they got it today. All speculation of course but it makes sense to me.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I wouldn't be surprised if MMS on AT&T comes via a simple carrier update file. The fact that carriers in other countries already had MMS working for their customers before 3.1 means that 3.1 (or 3.1.1) is NOT necessary to have MMS working.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if MMS on AT&T comes via a simple carrier update file. The fact that carriers in other countries already had MMS working for their customers before 3.1 means that 3.1 (or 3.1.1) is NOT necessary to have MMS working.
i didn't know iPhone does career over air updates. is it done silently or you have to accept it?

I can't say for sure, but from what I have been reading 3.1 is for the iPhone and 3.1.1 is for the iPod touch. Not sure exactly why, maybe because on the 25th iPhones will get 3.1.1 and Apple wants to keep both the iPhone and iPod touch on the same #. The iPod touch won't get any benefit from the 25th 3.1.1 update so they got it today. All speculation of course but it makes sense to me.

thaat makes perfect sense, i obviously turned the thread into shananigas for replies... iTunes piture said both ipod and iPhone so it was kind of odd.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i didn't know iPhone does career over air updates. is it done silently or you have to accept it?
No, not over the air. It's a small carrier file (with an .ipcc extension) that you download and install through iTunes just like a full firmware update. We've had 1 or 2 become available separately from firmware updates before.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
No, not over the air. It's a small carrier file (with an .ipcc extension) that you download and install through iTunes just like a full firmware update. We've had 1 or 2 become available separately from firmware updates before.
I must have done this blindly. Does iTunes prompt you to download it?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I must have done this blindly. Does iTunes prompt you to download it?
Yes it will tell you that there is a carrier update and ask if you want to install, but maybe by the time you updated to the next version it was just included in the OS. They only take a second to download then another second to install so it could easily be something you don't remember.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
what in world is happening?
iTunes 9 comes out
than 3.1 update, now 3.1.1 according to engadget

nanos get cameras now. Apple site is slow, jailbreak looks impossible...

didn't att say on 25th an update will bring mms. wat happened to that?

i don't see any improovements over anything except for iTunes 9 support and app genius support.

besides dumb comments i will take any comments or thoughts. thanks! :eek:k:eek:k
Hahahaha, I read this post in a scared voice in my head and it was so funny. lol.

I also think the MMS update will come through iTunes by a update like others have said already.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
Hahahaha, I read this post in a scared voice in my head and it was so funny. lol.

I also think the MMS update will come through iTunes by a update like others have said already.
finally someone here understands my humor! :sneaky:

okay good, if Apple did small updates over air it would definitely make me feel uncomforable.
had iPhone for about 3 4 months so i wasn't firmilar with that.
thank you!