iPhone Software Update As Soon As July 5?

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
Are you saying that as fact or as something you believe to be true. I seem to remember that Chris banned that Kolizion guy, which means his IP address and all. He may well have been someone similar but, I'll say it again, if you have questions like that about people it's best to take it up with admin and NOT play it out in the forums.
agreed wholeheartedly, lets keep our constructiveness to the level of respectable dignity.

as for the updates, im at work and cannot hit the check for new update button :(

ilLegalBeagle

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
Are you saying that as fact or as something you believe to be true. I seem to remember that Chris banned that Kolizion guy, which means his IP address and all. He may well have been someone similar but, I'll say it again, if you have questions like that about people it's best to take it up with admin and NOT play it out in the forums.

Robhon,

I agree with your overall sentiment, but Applejon admitted on #65 of that thread (page 7) that he was Kollizion in response to Johnny6ass's "Applejon = Kollizion" remark earlier in the thread.

After all that Honest Questions Answered hooplah, I would rather avoid those long-running threads anyway. I WAS hoping to hear news of a possible update, though... Which explains why I'm still reading this ever-growing thread...

ilLegalBeagle

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Robhon,

I agree with your overall sentiment, but Applejon admitted on #65 of that thread (page 7) that he was Kollizion in response to Johnny6ass's "Applejon = Kollizion" remark earlier in the thread.

After all that Honest Questions Answered hooplah, I would rather avoid those long-running threads anyway. I WAS hoping to hear news of a possible update, though... Which explains why I'm still reading this ever-growing thread...

ilLegalBeagle
It might be true but I wouldn't necessarily read that post as a definitive answer. Sounded as much like a "get off my back" response. Earlier he also said he didn't even know who kolizion was. So who's to say for sure.

So again, if you have questions about any poster you should take it to admin rather than starting what inevitably will turn into a firestorm on unrelated posts.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
I said that jokingly as in it's the same type of guy trying to get attention by pretending he knows something he does not.
He pretty much gauranteed an update today and guess what, no update.
By the way, when did you become the forum police?

dasjestyr

Jul 7, 2007
That would be a nice dream. But it seems to me a hardware dependent matter rather than software one. The camera doesn't even have zoom.
If the phone can capture a still image, it can capture video. Its just a matter of having the software do the work and the phone's processing power being able to handle it. The power of the iPhone can handle it but right now, the software that controls the camera is having a hard enough time processing the info from the camera for still images at 2 megapixels, and a lot of things such as auto exposure and white balance go into play there. Video is generally captured at a much lower resolution than still images and remember that the phone captures still images at 2mp right now and somewhat decently. Im sure that leaving out the video function was a conscious decision involving complications with a quicktime encoder or the desire to create a specialized version of the quicktime encoder that would be more appropriate for the iPhone operating environment. gotta keep things lite! don't worry... im sure it will come.

The nice thing about how the phone is set up right now is that tons of functions can be added just by software updates. But again... gotta keep it lite, so im sure they're just being cautious about the design of update software and its effects on the phone's performance.

As far as Zoom... thats a software thing with cellphones anyway. I mean... name me a phone with an optical zoom.

dasjestyr

Jul 7, 2007
Is the speaker volume more of a software or hardware thing? I think if they upped the volume through an update and the speakers themselves couldnt handle it, the sound would be distorted.
I know treo had a software addon that would bypass the volume limits on the phone at your own risk. adding volume is just a matter of channeling more power to the output, but youre gonna break something eventually lol. So yeah... its a software thing.

dasjestyr

Jul 7, 2007
id kill for ichat but i think att sucks and won't let Apple.
I'd really like some instant messaging features too. In my experience though, instant messaging is a nasty drain on the battery since you cant get an efficient "always on" data connection. "Push" data systems are kinda eh too currently. I think to get it to work well on a service like AT&T is to have a completely separate server that would act as a better gateway between the text messaging service and IM services like AIM. In other words, an AIM user sends you a text, the server routes that from the internet to the SMS service and sent it as a text to your cell's IM client (it just looks like an IM on your side), then you text back and the process reverses.

You'd think thats how it WOULD work but on all the IM clients ive used, it was just the cellphone's IM client either attempting to stay always connected (draining the crap out of your battery), or constantly reconnecting at specified intervals (no better at all on battery life, just slower). Right now... the mail program on my iPhone attempting to connect and download messages every hour causes my phone to bog down, let alone an IM client.

Maybe if ATT would open up their broadbandConnect system a bit more. i heard theyve been redeveloping the EDGE system in the meanwhile... but there really is only so far that can go. Anyway, you know its coming... and I have a feeling its going to suck. But better than nothing i guess.

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I have not been banned....
I've just been silent.

it's going to be a while before you see an update to the iPhone..

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Hey! what the hell happened to GPS! Oh Well.
At&t has not allowed a few features that the phone is capable of to be released yet. I would speculate they are trying to create plan rates for them.

There is an update scheduled to be released... Its just going to be around the software release time. Programmars are far more focused on that and the integration.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I read somewhere that the update, according to Steve Jobs, is due on the 2nd of August! My good friend who is the personal assistant of Mr. Jobs, who knows someone that bowls with him said that the update is due in a few days!

Oh joy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Woofus

Silver
I read somewhere that the update, according to Steve Jobs, is due on the 2nd of August! My good friend who is the personal assistant of Mr. Jobs, who knows someone that bowls with him said that the update is due in a few days!

Oh joy!
You haven't gotten your update yet?

I was mowing Steve's lawn yesterday and found a copy laying out by the pool, so I installed it.

Wow.. all I can say is WOW!

For those wondering, YES the iPhone now cures cancer. Still no copy/paste, but the cancer cure is standard now. :D

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You haven't gotten your update yet?

I was mowing Steve's lawn yesterday and found a copy laying out by the pool, so I installed it.

Wow.. all I can say is WOW!

For those wondering, YES the iPhone now cures cancer. Still no copy/paste, but the cancer cure is standard now. :D
yes right dude, show us some proof of that, then we can think about you TELLING the truth.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
"Expect an update shortly"

Shortly can mean anything. When speaking to analysts who are worrying about quarterly results, it could mean within the next 3 months as easily as it could mean within the next 3 weeks.

My WAG (wild ... guess) is that the update, and Leopard, and the new features common to the two, will be released shortly... as in, when Leopard is released.

Apple won't give future update dates because a last minute issue could cause a delay, and they don't want to be accused of "missing" a release date when it's easier to keep their mouth shut and release when they are ready.

kolizion

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I post and things magically happen in under 5 hours....

creepy

::shutters::

it's just a security fix...
pre-warning... I wouldn't go editing your iPhone for a while.

see you all in while... busy busy.

edw1nk

Jul 7, 2007

Oh joy!

your "good friend" was only 2 days off! now have your friend ask him when the REAL update is comming. :p

Last edited by a moderator: