iPhone sound quality?

XenoQ

Apr 9, 2008
Hallo I just purchased an iPhone, uploaded some mp3s through iTunes, and tried to listen to them using the iPhone but the quality is so poor, is there some some good advice for better sound quality? Is it because iTunes convert it first and reduce the quality? I have Nokia N95 and with the same mp3s, but the sound is much better. Thanks in advance.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hallo I just purchased an iPhone, uploaded some mp3s through iTunes, and tried to listen to them using the iPhone but the quality is so poor, is there some some good advice for better sound quality? Is it because iTunes convert it first and reduce the quality? I have Nokia N95 and with the same mp3s, but the sound is much better. Thanks in advance.
How are you listening to them? Via the external speaker or through the headphones? What is the source of the mp3s?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Usually the sound quality is pretty good through the headset, but some like the expensive aftermarket products.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
do you know what bitrate you compressed them with? 128 kbps (the default) is good enough for most people. If you've got a sensitive ear, you might want to bump it up to 196... and then there's lossless, of course... but that won't help unless you're converting directly from a .wav (or CD).

XenoQ

Apr 9, 2008
I listen through iPhone built-in speaker. Most of the mp3s bitrate is 128kps. The sound is much better with Nokia N95. What I suspect is either iTunes degrade the quality or iPhone speaker is not good.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i can't compare to the nokia, but i think the iPhone speaker is OK for what it is... meaning i wouldn't expect hi-fi quality from it.

XenoQ

Apr 9, 2008
Yeah, but I am quite disappointed if it is indeed the iPhone speaker at fault here. Even my 4 years old Sony Clie TH-55 built-in speaker has better sound quality. I tested with the same mp3 files. Is there anyway to upload directly the mp3 to iPhone without going through iTunes? Thanks.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you may want to try the iPhone speaker mod... which is a fancy way of saying "poke holes in the protective film" over your speaker. it sounds a little crazy, but it will increase the volume significantly, and will probably prevent the speaker from distorting if you listen at higher volumes.

XenoQ

Apr 9, 2008
I read that post about poking the speaker, and I don't think I want to do it any time yet, it is still brand new. :D By the way, is the only way to upload songs to iPhone through iTunes only? Thanks.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you're opposed to modding your phone, then no.

anyway, i really don't think iTunes is your problem. how do the converted songs sound on your computer?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I read that post about poking the speaker, and I don't think I want to do it any time yet, it is still brand new. :D By the way, is the only way to upload songs to iPhone through iTunes only? Thanks.
Yes, but it can be any music. Don't have to buy from them to load on phone. Just import any music to iTunes and sync.
Unless you want to jailbreak. Then there are other ways.

XenoQ

Apr 9, 2008
The songs are good when I listen it using PC speaker. So, I guess it was right after all, it is not the iTunes problem but iPhone speaker. My iPhone is already jailbroken using ZiPhone.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
do the mod.

I can 100% guarantee you that the speaker mod will greatly improve both sound and quality, as I have done it myself on numerous phones, and it has improved the quality and sound immensly

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
I can attest to the fact NOKIA and their speaker. I have a N75...it has one of the best external speaker, IMHO

mski

Guntis

Dec 16, 2008
Yes, it's the only way. But iTunes doesn't convert anything, it just syncs content on your iPhone with the iTunes library/playlists. I just think that for any more or less serious music listening you should use headphones or earphones. Something like Etimotic HF2 or Apple's new in-ear headphones. Then you'll hear what's really there.