iPhone Speaker Distortion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Have anyone else had a problem with their speaker when playing audio (music, ringtones, etc.)? From time to time mine sounds very distorted, like you can barely hear it or like it's playing way too loud. I called Apple and they said to stop by an Apple Store, oh fun. It'll go back to normal at some point and then when I put my Incase back on, sometime later is goes in the crapper again. Anyway, just sharing.

Joe

Revin9k

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
some songs with a lot of bass and acoustics do sound a little ditorted. they put a cheap ass speaker in there.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
It's not specific songs. Its for everything. At first I thought it was my Incase, but it also happens when the phone is caseless. It does however, get much worse with the case on. I'm wondering if it's a humidity issue or something. Anyway, I'm heading to the local Apple Store sometime this week.

Joe

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Yeah it happens to a lot of my music I just don't put it on max volume and i try to live with it i mean it does suck ass but oh well its ok

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Yes. The audio will often distort, but then again I listen to a lot of metal and grind, so the puny speakers on the iPhone cower in fear anyway.

What I don't get is why the speaker (and earpiece) when taking a call is the weakest/softest speaker phone I've ever heard on any cell I've owned, yet the speakers, when listening to ipod audio, distorts and crackles because it can get so loud.

It's clear the audio portion of the phone (probably the most important aspect of any phone) wasn't properly tested and debugged before it was released to market. I just don't understand how those at Apple could have let something so obvious slip by them.

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I agree, it is a VERY cheap speaker, and like Hecubus said, it's obvious that this very apparent issue, slipped past right the testing team.

edw1nk

Jul 7, 2007
this is a problm for me too. i just selected "bass reducer" as an equalizer preset, and things sound a lot better now.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I don't think they really expected us to be using the speaker for much more than speakerphone conversations.
Use the "bass reducer" EQ setting.

ZenJD

Aug 13, 2008
I was ready to take my new iPhone back

I possibly thought that it was the connection on calls that was causing distortion, but playing the newest album download from the iTunes Music Store proved to be the proof in the putting, if you will, or so it seemed. I could listen at 30% volume and find massive distortion. This is via the built-in speaker, iPhone headphones, or my iShuffle g3 headphones. The iShuffle and my iMac via SoundSticks do not share this distortion. The iShuffle shows a little at max volume, but only a fraction of that which the iPhone displays.

Then I caught posts here and sought out the EQ settings. Seems it was set to Bass Booster, which makes any song with heavy bass.... just unbearable. (Gonna find my friend and beat him with a rubber chicken). Thanks guys, you saved me an embarrassing trip to the Apple Store.