iPhone speaker hack! 40% louder!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I tried it a while ago, it didn't hurt my phone, and it is indeed louder. I'm an audio engineer and deal with small degrees of volume change every day. This is no small change... even my wife noticed without prompting.

Others on the board have shared the same sentiments... it's a fairly well-received hack. Search for it.

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
Well, I tried it a while ago, it didn't hurt my phone, and it is indeed louder. I'm an audio engineer and deal with small degrees of volume change every day. This is no small change... even my wife noticed without prompting.

Others on the board have shared the same sentiments... it's a fairly well-received hack. Search for it.
Second. It definitely improved the sound level on my phone. And as mentioned above, no real chance of damaging the speaker, but I wouldn't go deep-sea fishing with the pin...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

well, since you are a sound engineer, i may take your word for it...never doubt a word from a sound engineer...at least the ones that know what their talkn about...so does it improve the volume of the person you're talkn to as well...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Interesting, so how do you know when you have done it correctly? How hard should you push the needle in? Thanks :)

well according to the video it seems that its a slight poke...i MIGHT do it...if i do it, i'll use a tack to have more poke control...although a tack might be too big...

Ag-Ryan

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
i did it and i didn't really notice much [if any] difference, but hey, it definitely didn't hurt things at all....

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
there is a membrane between the black plastic outer shell and the internals (including the speaker) This protecs from dust and other contaminantes from getting in.

I did this on my speaker, but only noticed 38.567% better performance. J/K, but it really did help a whole lot out and it's very noticeable. I stuck a thin needle in their to check where the speaker was. It's very far in there and if you just use a little poke control with a pin you'll be fine. My suggestion is if you REALLy don't like the speaker quality then go ahead and try it. I really don't think it's going to hurt anything overall

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
you can't be afraid. The speaker is recessed about 1/2" away from the grill. Poke only 1/8" through the holes. I believe all of them except the four inside holes can be poked.

This is OLD news. Search the forums for a great thread about this topic.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
there is a membrane between the black plastic outer shell and the internals (including the speaker) This protecs from dust and other contaminantes from getting in.

I did this on my speaker, but only noticed 38.567% better performance. J/K, but it really did help a whole lot out and it's very noticeable. I stuck a thin needle in their to check where the speaker was. It's very far in there and if you just use a little poke control with a pin you'll be fine. My suggestion is if you REALLy don't like the speaker quality then go ahead and try it. I really don't think it's going to hurt anything overall
this is praughly why i might not do it...keep the dust and other contaminates from gettin' in...you would've thought they would've put some sort of mic-screen (like that of a pop-stopper) in there...but if its far in there then i guess it would be all good...i guess