iPhone speaker hack! 40% louder!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liberated, Feb 26, 2008.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

2. Spikefood

Spikefood New Member
    Bronze

Great mod but it was posted back a few months ago.

3. justahsquirrel

Silver

quite risky...might damage the speaker itself....

4. Lava

Lava New Member
    Bronze

That is exactly what i was thinking, i don't think that Apple made your speaker quieter just to bug you, they made it so it doesn't destroy the speaker.

5. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

Actually the speaker is quite some distance (1/2") from the grill. This is common knowledgge and most old timers around here wouldn't even bother posting this. Do some searching.

6. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

I would not do it either... Did not sound any louder in video

7. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member
    Gold

where are the statistics that it is 40% higher? was there a sound meeter there?
    hahahah

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Well, I tried it a while ago, it didn't hurt my phone, and it is indeed louder. I'm an audio engineer and deal with small degrees of volume change every day. This is no small change... even my wife noticed without prompting.

Others on the board have shared the same sentiments... it's a fairly well-received hack. Search for it.

9. askewed

askewed New Member
    Bronze

Worked for me... First thing I did when my wife bought one.

10. steviep831

steviep831 New Member
    Bronze

Second. It definitely improved the sound level on my phone. And as mentioned above, no real chance of damaging the speaker, but I wouldn't go deep-sea fishing with the pin...

11. powersrus

powersrus New Member
    Bronze

I agree...I did this to my iPhone, my sons, and husbands and they ARE much louder!:)

12. fl0w

fl0w New Member

what of the warranty voiding?

13. doron

doron Zealot
    Gold

well, since you are a sound engineer, i may take your word for it...never doubt a word from a sound engineer...at least the ones that know what their talkn about...so does it improve the volume of the person you're talkn to as well...

14. iLLGT2

iLLGT2 New Member
    Bronze

Interesting, so how do you know when you have done it correctly? How hard should you push the needle in? Thanks :)

15. doron

doron Zealot
    Gold

well according to the video it seems that its a slight poke...i MIGHT do it...if i do it, i'll use a tack to have more poke control...although a tack might be too big...

16. Ag-Ryan

Ag-Ryan New Member
    Bronze

i did it and i didn't really notice much [if any] difference, but hey, it definitely didn't hurt things at all....

17. Inverted

Inverted Member
    Bronze

so what exactly are you poking here. are you poking holes in the speaker its self?

18. adseguy

adseguy New Member
    Bronze

there is a membrane between the black plastic outer shell and the internals (including the speaker) This protecs from dust and other contaminantes from getting in.

I did this on my speaker, but only noticed 38.567% better performance. J/K, but it really did help a whole lot out and it's very noticeable. I stuck a thin needle in their to check where the speaker was. It's very far in there and if you just use a little poke control with a pin you'll be fine. My suggestion is if you REALLy don't like the speaker quality then go ahead and try it. I really don't think it's going to hurt anything overall

19. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

you can't be afraid. The speaker is recessed about 1/2" away from the grill. Poke only 1/8" through the holes. I believe all of them except the four inside holes can be poked.

This is OLD news. Search the forums for a great thread about this topic.

20. doron

doron Zealot
    Gold

this is praughly why i might not do it...keep the dust and other contaminates from gettin' in...you would've thought they would've put some sort of mic-screen (like that of a pop-stopper) in there...but if its far in there then i guess it would be all good...i guess