iPhone speaker hack! 40% louder!

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
By doing this, is the sound quality still good when playing music through the speaker?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
By doing this, is the sound quality still good when playing music through the speaker?
I think the sound quality is actually improved by doing this because it is less distorted and you don't need to turn it as loud to hear it. Sounds good even at low volume.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
P.S. A staple works good for this and you can bend it to control how far you can push it through the membrane.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I think the sound quality is actually improved by doing this because it is less distorted and you don't need to turn it as loud to hear it. Sounds good even at low volume.

well Griff- it seems like the most of the responses on here are more good than otherwise...

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I poked holed in mine and made a big improvement. I don't know about "40%" louder but it is definitely louder making it much easier to hear the ringer and text alerts, etc. For some reason though, my speaker phone doesn't seem any louder but I rarely use it anyway. I didn't worry any about damaging the speaker and I'm not concerned about dust...heck, think about all the dust getting in through the headphone jack.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I poked holed in mine and made a big improvement. I don't know about "40%" louder but it is definitely louder making it much easier to hear the ringer and text alerts, etc. For some reason though, my speaker phone doesn't seem any louder but I rarely use it anyway. I didn't worry any about damaging the speaker and I'm not concerned about dust...heck, think about all the dust getting in through the headphone jack.
i'm really hesitatin' on doin' it...but it seems like the responses are pretty good thus far

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Actually the speaker is quite some distance (1/2") from the grill. This is common knowledgge and most old timers around here wouldn't even bother posting this. Do some searching.
Yep. I even bought a couple of specialized iPod/iPhone tools, took off the antenna cover and removed the filter completely.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
i'm really hesitatin' on doin' it...but it seems like the responses are pretty good thus far
You'd really have to jam the needle in there a long way to damage anything, Doron. I used about a quarter-inch of the needle and didn't get anywhere near the actual speaker.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, you can't be afraid to do it once you decide. The first time I did it I didn't go in far enough and thought it didn't work. After mustering up some cajones, I did it again and just went for it. Drastic improvement.

Don't stress it... you really have to work hard to muck it up.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Yeah, you can't be afraid to do it once you decide. The first time I did it I didn't go in far enough and thought it didn't work. After mustering up some cajones, I did it again and just went for it. Drastic improvement.

Don't stress it... you really have to work hard to muck it up.

cool...i MIGHT:laugh2:do it

KPSK

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i could only pierce through 6 holes on mine. the rest look like they are solid.

gamedude9742

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
USA
nap can you get some sort of link for those tools and mayb even a guide on how to do that :-D lol... id love to make my speaker louder...

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Actually the speaker is quite some distance (1/2") from the grill. This is common knowledgge and most old timers around here wouldn't even bother posting this. Do some searching.
well said my friend. thats why we live in GA lol

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Originally Posted by OJsakila

well said my friend. thats why we live in GA lol

but what you gotta understand is that there are some of on here that aren't 'old timers'...this happens to be one the better post...and seeing that there isn't a tech forum discussn the specs, we new timers appreciate info like this...

and ja_ i live just below you in FL...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Originally Posted by OJsakila

but what you gotta understand is that there are some of on here that aren't 'old timers'...this happens to be one the better post...and seeing that there isn't a tech forum discussn the specs, we new timers appreciate info like this...

and ja_ i live just below you in FL...LOL

No big deal. In Georgia we try not to be so redundant. J/k

Last edited by a moderator: