iPhone stuck for 4 hours while shutting down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cluemeister, Oct 19, 2007.

1. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

My iPhone was not loading web pages well the other day, so I decided to shut down the iPhone and start it up again. When I slid the shut down arrow over to the right, the spinning wheel in the middle of the screen started it's shut down spin, but didn't stop. The spinning wheel spun for 4 hours until the battery gave out!

The iPhone would not respond to any button or screen pressing.

At least with the treo, I could either hit a reset button, or if all else failed, take out the battery. I think Apple should reconsider their decision to not have a user replaceable battery. A device like the iPhone acts up sometimes, and limiting our ability to get it going again makes it less useful to me.

Anyone else have a four hour lockup experience?

2. thesaint

thesaint New Member
    Bronze

Did you try the hard reset? This involves pressing the home and sleep/wake button simultaneously until the iPhone restarts.

3. adseguy

adseguy New Member
    Bronze

Yes holding the top button and home button will force a restart by some hardware means (probably charging a capacitor) that de-powers the phone. So no matter how screwed up the software can get a restart can be forced by hardware.....it works the same on laptops if you hold down the power button long enough. Good to know for next time.

4. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

I thought I did hold both of those buttons down to no avail. Perhaps in my frustration, I did not hold them long enough.

Thanks for the feedback!

5. coolie

coolie New Member
    Bronze

is it working now? you should have bring it to Apple and they might replace you a new one

6. Redfor

Redfor New Member
    Bronze

sometimes you have to hold the 2 buttons which seems forever... think ive had to hold mine like 20-30 secs.. by anychance you phone modded?

7. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

It is working now. Once the battery died, I plugged it in, and in about ten minutes there was enough juice to start it up.

I was working on the road during this four hour time, and could not receive or make phone calls or get emails. Being in sales, this was not a good situation. :)

8. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

phone is not modded in any way.

If it happens again, I'll make sure I hold both buttons for 20-30 seconds.

9. harlow

harlow New Member

I had the same issue with mine but the 20-30 second reset worked beautifully, thank you cluemeister

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Resurrection friday!

I am glad though that an old topic still helped someone.