iPhone stuck for 4 hours while shutting down?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 24, 2007
My iPhone was not loading web pages well the other day, so I decided to shut down the iPhone and start it up again. When I slid the shut down arrow over to the right, the spinning wheel in the middle of the screen started it's shut down spin, but didn't stop. The spinning wheel spun for 4 hours until the battery gave out!

The iPhone would not respond to any button or screen pressing.

At least with the treo, I could either hit a reset button, or if all else failed, take out the battery. I think Apple should reconsider their decision to not have a user replaceable battery. A device like the iPhone acts up sometimes, and limiting our ability to get it going again makes it less useful to me.

Anyone else have a four hour lockup experience?

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Did you try the hard reset? This involves pressing the home and sleep/wake button simultaneously until the iPhone restarts.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Yes holding the top button and home button will force a restart by some hardware means (probably charging a capacitor) that de-powers the phone. So no matter how screwed up the software can get a restart can be forced by hardware.....it works the same on laptops if you hold down the power button long enough. Good to know for next time.

Jul 24, 2007
I thought I did hold both of those buttons down to no avail. Perhaps in my frustration, I did not hold them long enough.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jul 24, 2007
It is working now. Once the battery died, I plugged it in, and in about ten minutes there was enough juice to start it up.

I was working on the road during this four hour time, and could not receive or make phone calls or get emails. Being in sales, this was not a good situation. :)