iPhone surgery for louder speaker?

Jul 23, 2007
Just read on engadget that people are poking the speaker with pins to make the hole larger resulting in louder volume... anyone care to try and report?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Just read on engadget that people are poking the speaker with pins to make the hole larger resulting in louder volume... anyone care to try and report?
Do a search - it's all there. It works.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Just one thing though, your not making the holes larger, your poking holes in the protective anti-dust film that is below the hole openings.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
No its not the making the hole larger, don't do that. There is a paper behind the holes, you are poking a hole in the paper, then a quick suck.

I read today that someone took their black cover off the back (DO NOT DO THAT) and removed the paper, and now it is way load.

so just poke the paper.:)

Jul 23, 2007
No its not the making the hole larger, don't do that. There is a paper behind the holes, you are poking a hole in the paper, then a quick suck.

I read today that someone took their black cover off the back (DO NOT DO THAT) and removed the paper, and now it is way load.

Good note. So just poking holes in the 'paper'? I don't see anything when I look at the holes. Is this 'paper' clear or black?

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I actually took off the cover, and found out I didn't need too. The speaker is recessed quite a bit, it'd be pretty hard to hit. I'd use a tac if it will fit in the holes or a saftey pin. Too thin a needle may go through too easy and all the way to the speaker. You can feel it puncture pretty well. There was a noticeable increase in volume, but not drastic IMO.

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
wouldn't this somehow damage the phone by messing with it. I'm actually happy with the volume quality though.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I actually took the antenna cover off last night because I dropped my phone yesterday and the cover would not snap on correctly. The actual speaker is quite recessed in the phone, so using a needle to open up the holes is not going to damage the phone.
That being said, I don't recommend sticking anything deeper than 1/8 of an inch, just to be on the safe side.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

I'm actually thinking of doing just that when the proper tools arrive (metal spudge tool, soft plastic iPod/iPhone wedge tool.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I actually took off the cover, and found out I didn't need too. The speaker is recessed quite a bit, it'd be pretty hard to hit. I'd use a tac if it will fit in the holes or a saftey pin. Too thin a needle may go through too easy and all the way to the speaker. You can feel it puncture pretty well. There was a noticeable increase in volume, but not drastic IMO.
I used a very thin needle and had no probems. The needle only went in about 1/8" or so.

DisneyEcho

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
disneyecho.emuck.com
I used a very thin needle and had no probems. The needle only went in about 1/8" or so.
I did the same thing, and also before I poked through the paper I removed dirt/fluff which had gotten in some of the holes (I used the needle plus blowing the stuff away).

I notice a huge increase in sound output.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I'm not gonna try this, though I would appreciate it, because knowing my luck, I would end up falling off my chair or my next door neighbour would slam his door and the bang would make me jump and the needle/pin would go straight through the speaker, and maybe further lol!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I did it before, but didn't push hard enough. This time I really got in there. You can really only fully poke through the ones in the middle (maybe 6 of them or so), the others feel like they have something behind them (edit: they can all be poked through except for the 8 closest to the dock... read on further down the thread).

I would say it's definitely a bit louder, but even more so it's just clearer. My wife's ringtone was always pretty loud, but she called right after I did it, and I felt like Paul McCartney was here in the room with me ("Something in the way.... she moves....")

Hyperbole aside, I'm well aware of the psychology of hearing, being a sound engineer, but I think this is the real deal. Worth doing....