iPhone surgery for louder speaker?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I've been listening to some of my mixes as well as other songs in my library through the "opened" speaker and I must say I'm very impressed! It's definitely louder (my wife even said so from across the room without being prompted... "wow! what did you do?")

I could never turn it up fully before without kick/bass hits badly distorting the speaker, even with bass reducer EQ on (which it still is, btw)... now I can crank it fully and it just sounds loud and clear.

I highly recommend the procedure now.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Well, I've been listening to some of my mixes as well as other songs in my library through the "opened" speaker and I must say I'm very impressed! It's definitely louder (my wife even said so from across the room without being prompted... "wow! what did you do?")

I could never turn it up fully before without kick/bass hits badly distorting the speaker, even with bass reducer EQ on (which it still is, btw)... now I can crank it fully and it just sounds loud and clear.

I highly recommend the procedure now.
How many holes did you make?

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I poked them all, but like I said only the 6 or so in the middle went the whole way in.
Thanks. It appears that the speaker is the opening on the right bottom of this pic. The microphone looks like a small circle on the left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Domin8stang

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
freshly poked my holes, and its much louder now! i can finally hear my text tones from my pocket!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I did it before, but didn't push hard enough. This time I really got in there. You can really only fully poke through the ones in the middle (maybe 6 of them or so), the others feel like they have something behind them.

I would say it's definitely a bit louder, but even more so it's just clearer. My wife's ringtone was always pretty loud, but she called right after I did it, and I felt like Paul McCartney was here in the room with me ("Something in the way.... she moves....")

Hyperbole aside, I'm well aware of the psychology of hearing, being a sound engineer, but I think this is the real deal. Worth doing....
Finally did it, and I thank KNK from another post where he mentioned doing it. My volume is great now! Been shitty since iDay, now it's sweeeeet.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Very useful tip. Found only a few holes went deeper than others. But you could hear the sounds getting better as you poked the holes.