iPhone Sync deletes Address Book Contacts

Discussion in 'Mac and iPhone' started by wow533, Jul 13, 2007.

1. wow533

wow533 New Member

Well, I've loved my iPhone up until now. I even loved how easy it sync'd to my MacBook Pro. But today when I plugged in my sync cable I got a pop up window, that I must admit didn't seem very OSX like, and it said that I was about to modify over 5% of my contacts and did I want to proceed. Well, I did and presto, it cleaned out my address book on my MacBook Pro. Oh, then I ejected my iPhone and then reconnected, hoping to get the contacts off my phone and back into Address Book. I then got the same 5% warning window and it said I was going to add 2 contacts to my address book. Well, great I said okay, and guess what, it wiped out all the contacts on my iPhone with only 2 contacts. I got to admit I just felt like I could cry. How could Apple, which I'm a loyal follower, allow something like this to happen. I guess I have to high of expectation?

Can anyone help me recover my deleted contacts in Address Book.

Thanks

Wes

2. iJohn

iJohn New Member
    Bronze

Well, make sure you read those dialogs because it explains what it is doing.

If you have in the past, click File > Revert to Address Book Backup. If you haven't I think you may be out of luck unless you have synced your contacts with .Mac or through Backup. If you do replace all your contacts, make sure you back them up using File > Backup Address Book.

3. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member
    Silver

Yeah, mine does this when I sync too. But when I reconnect my Macbook to the office network it re-syncs my address book with Outlook and puts them all back. It only seems to happen when you modify a contact in your iPhone then sync. For some reason this causes it to nuke your contacts on your PC if you click Yes. If you click No nothing gets changed.

4. chony

chony New Member

Please tell me you have a solution. Same thing happened to me and I have no backup since everything is new. I just lost 400 contacts and am ready to break down.

5. viciphone

viciphone New Member

If I'm correct its because you guys have contacts under ADVANCED* checked and that will replace all contacts on you iPhone. So the next time you guys want to sync your contacts from your iPhone to your windows address book or whatever it is. Make sure under advanced contact book isn't checked. After doing so all contacts from iPhone will sync to comp address book and the next time you sync from pc to iPhone it will automatically update your contacts in the pc address book. Hope this helps.

P.S. - Don't worry about the 5% warning thing its really is nothing!

6. Valatan

Valatan New Member

I had this happen, and after going back to iTunes, I checked to see if this box was checked, and it was not. I understand that I allowed my contacts to be dropped, and I shouldn't have clicked the checkbox that allowed the synching to occur, but I honestly thought I was just uploading my phone contacts to my computer.

I actually don't understand why you would ever have a setting designed to delete contacts other than one explicitly labeled 'delete (all) contacts'

7. PAURIS

PAURIS New Member

How do you copy contacts from iPhone to google contacts using iTunes or any other method? It seems it will only copy contacts from PC to iPhone and delete all iPhone contacts

8. vonybee

vonybee New Member

deleted contacts when syncing google calendar with iPhone

oi vey.

i just set my phone to sync to google calendar and in the process it wiped out all my contacts. guess i should have backed up contacts first to iTunes. I'm downloading the updates for the phone now and then will check to see if contacts survived.

any other suggestions? i think i'm going to puke. :(

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Restore from backup and then get those contacts back up in Google/Gmail or Yahoo.

10. vonybee

vonybee New Member

i didn't backup with iTunes before the sync. ;(

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Import SIM contacts. If that doesn't work, you'll have to put them in manually.

12. annalisak

annalisak New Member

same thing's happened to me - can't we create a class action against iPhone or something? i've got about 15 years of contacts that have been wiped, can't trace them back on my computer, had no warning to say they were going to be wiped only that 5% of my computer's address book would be changed (i had made changes on my iPhone address book prior to syncing). then the exact same thing happened as the person that started this thread. can't believe Apple/iPhone haven't warned us this might happen.

13. The Apple

The Apple Zealot
    Gold

Class action suit against iPhone because you neglected to back up 15 years worth of contacts? Backing up is very important with data of this nature. It should be backed up to a different location.

14. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Doesn't iTunes automatically backup everything right before it syncs? I've lost my contact info before when I was figuring out the (sometimes fickle) nuances of contact syncing. I immediately restored from the backup I'd just made and everything was cool. I'm confused as to where all this lost data is going.

15. annalisak

annalisak New Member

I was told when i purchased the phone that an automatic backup to my mac happened anyway. it worked for a year, then the backup on my computer, plus my addressbook on my computer, and my phone was wiped when i synched today. i hadn't changed any settings. Since posting this on facebook, i've had multiple comments saying the same thing has happened to other people. Apple posted no warnings that this could happen - in fact the pop up screen that i got just before it wiped my address book from my iPhone was that more than 5% of changes would occur on my computer. it then, as i previously stated, wiped the address book from the iPhone, and didn't change the computer's address book, which was blank. Backups done on the computer were wiped at the same time. it is in essense a case of negligence - by not informing clients that they could lose data by synching with their computers at a random basis. technicians keep getting calls about this too. i'd like to know how many other people are out there with this same issue. don't call me ignorant when i haven't been given the information that a further back up was needed - apparently mobileme and time machine, both costly backup suggestions, are available - but they were suggested to me after the crash happened, not before or when i purchased the telephone from my phone store. so the the negligence lies in the absence of warnings on purchasing the phone that backups other than the ones that automatically happen are necessary, and that the automatic backups are temperamental at best and useless at worst. Nokia had one back up system to a cd, which I used, and never had a problem. iPhone is a badly designed phone, full stop.

16. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

even before i had my iPhone i always kept my contacts in a separate area incase something like this happened. now i keep them on my phone, on my mac, and in that other separate document. anytime ive spoke to an Apple genius they have always asked before they did anything to my phone if i synced and back up all my information. i highly doubt youll get very far with your case

17. annalisak

annalisak New Member

highly amusing that it seems a company like Apple can place the blame on the client, rather themselves. the general user of the iPhone is not a particularly technologically savvy person - and given that there is no instruction booklet on purchasing the unit, i would at least assume that telephone stores that sell them would give some hints on how to use it and the risks that using it entails, including losing data that is at threat of being lost - this was not a one-of occurrence for me, but is a common occurrence amongst iPhone users. those most at risk, (people who think they have purchased a phone that is not going to wipe information randomly and have been told that back up occurs automatically on their macs) have not been advised of mobileme/timemachine until something crashes, and then they can only ask after it's too late. please note the technician i spoke to today only got backup himself after his iPhone crashed. what a shame a company like Apple can't use it's brilliance to actually protect their clients rather than wait til they sink to the bottom of the ocean after floating on the credibility and marketing kudos of this "ingenius" machine, and then hand them a floatation device and ask them why they didn't have one to start with.

long live nokia.

18. iBanana

iBanana Member
    Silver

you can download the manual.

19. mbarr

mbarr New Member

Annalisak, I totally agree with you. This has to be one of the dumbest "Smartphones" I've ever seen. Everytime you plug the cable into it you have to worry about what it's going to delete next. Then you get people put remarks up here about getting the manual. I've seen more information on a manual can-opener. Or did you make backups on your Mac, phone and lawnmower before hand.

Now for the average person, non-mac user, nor the geeks who have all there data synced to everything they own (i mean no disrespect to geeks) these are my points:

1) why in the world would you ever want to delete all your contacts. If like me, mine phone is my phone and my computer is my computer. I do not call all the people in my address book nor do I email everyone on MY phone. If I want a contact deleted I will do it. PC people understand this and so does Microsoft. The "are you sure" box is a little redundant but you know Mac out to give it a whirl.
    Most of this fault lies with iTunes, which is nothing more than crappy software designed to sync an Ipod. And the iPhone is nothing more than an Ipod that makes phone calls...

2) lets pick on the phone next. Love the voicemail part of it. Shows a list of calls, you can check them in any order and delete when done. Great job. Now go to "missed calls", handy, look pretty in red but thats where they start falling short again. OK, I call the missed call back but its still red afterwards, and still red in all calls. Hit delete and it deletes every call. So you can delete selected voicemails as well as texts but not "Phone" calls on a iPhone.

3) Bluetooth, what a joke. To an Apple aprroved headset, but then again Blackberry is proprietary too. Other good phones can send pics, ringtones, etc but that would ace Apple out of their 99 cents. BTW, iRinger.com is free, easy and you can use ANY song.

4) Steve Jobs, theres a guy who did to much acid in his youth. Like a school girl with his secrets. It took me a week to get a case, and 2 weeks to get a screen protector which when I put my case back on it tore the protector off. He wasn't savvy enough to give prototypes to 3rd party companies. 600,000 phones sold on the first day and a crap load of ill designed components to protect your $600 investment. Seven weeks later and I'm still waiting for my Otterbox. AND newsflash, most of his latest improvement to the iPhone 4 are a direct copy of the Droid.

So, now all the fanboys are going to rip me a new one that i should have got a droid if i was unhappy. I would have had Motorola not dropped the ball and made there font size un-adjustable. So just like a boat, the two happiest days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Next..............

20. iblastoff

iblastoff New Member
    Bronze

is this thread some kind of joke? Class action lawsuit against Apple because people can't follow or read simple instructions? Unbelievable. I'm sorry but if you can't even use a Mac properly (aka computer for dummies) you probably shouldn't even have a smartphone.

The fact is iTunes makes the whole syncing process as simple as possible and if you manage to screw this up, you seriously have problems no class action lawsuit is going to fix for you.