iPhone sync with Palm Desktop

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cheeki

Nov 25, 2007
PLEASE HELP
I'm getting ready (finally) to buy my iPhone but, before I do.......
I use my palm and palmdesktop software for my agenda / calendar and my contacts. Is there a way to sync this info to my iPhone and stop using the palm. I do not use outlook.

If this can't be done.... I don't know if I will buy the iPhone.....

I'm trying to eliminate gadgets in my purse....
phone / ipod / palm

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
PLEASE HELP
I'm getting ready (finally) to buy my iPhone but, before I do.......
I use my palm and palmdesktop software for my agenda / calendar and my contacts. Is there a way to sync this info to my iPhone and stop using the palm. I do not use outlook.

If this can't be done.... I don't know if I will buy the iPhone.....

I'm trying to eliminate gadgets in my purse....
phone / ipod / palm
You will NOT be able to directly sync the iPhone with the Palm Desktop. You will need to use Outlook if you want to be able to sync Addresses and Appointments with the iPhone.

In response to macgirl, clicking on "this search" revealed nothing but "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It's been a long time since I had a palm, but I believe you can export your calander and Address book and then import it to Outlook (of course you need to have outlook installed, and not Outlook Express).
"Should' be a painless procedure, provided you have everything necessary.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You can also just sync your Palm with Outlook and then sync your iPhone.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to sync your palm with the Palm Desktop first to ensure all your data is saved, then reinstall it and select that you want to sync with Outlook instead of Palm Desktop. As Hawk said, you do need to have Outlook installed.

cheeki

Nov 25, 2007
thank you for all your help!

You can also just sync your Palm with Outlook and then sync your iPhone.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to sync your palm with the Palm Desktop first to ensure all your data is saved, then reinstall it and select that you want to sync with Outlook instead of Palm Desktop. As Hawk said, you do need to have Outlook installed.
thank you for all your help

renegade

Jan 31, 2009
I too am looking at the iPhone and want to continue using the PALM desktop for contacts and calendar rather than outlook. So is this working for you Cheeki?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I too am looking at the iPhone and want to continue using the PALM desktop for contacts and calendar rather than outlook. So is this working for you Cheeki?
The original poster was not asking to use the palm software with his iPhone, just how to Transfer his data to the iPhone.
The iPhone only syncs through iTunes, which can sync to either outlook or the mac address book.
If you sync through the palm software to palm desktop, you have to sync, uninstall the palm software, reinstall and setup to sync to outlook instead. Then you can sync the iPhone to that address book in outlook.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I used PocketCopy it worked very good $199.95 to copy palm to Outlook
HOLY CRAP! Please tell me you accidentally doubled the 9 in 199.95.
But even if you did, $20 bucks is still high for something that can be done fairly easily for free.

And if you didn't double the 9, I have some property that I want to sell you. Ever hear of the Brooklyn Bridge? ;)

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I made the switch from the Treo 650 to the 3g last April after being a Palm OS user since the beginning. You will have to adept to MS Outlook not express as Hawk stated. You can transfer your contacts over and do your sync via out look on the Palm and that will work with the iPhone. Don't even think about using the Palm OS. Go into outlook help and it will tell you how to transfer your contacts. You will have to find an app. on iTunes such as Toodledo for your tasks. Good luck.

I just did a search on the main forum page 'palm sync to iPhone ' and came up with a lot of threads. Macgirl is seldom wrong as this shows. Also do a google search and you will find enough information to help you make your decision.

gjantz1

Jan 19, 2009
So I can sync my iPhone with 2 or more computers time and time again with my Palm database? You have did this and are still doing this with no problems?

Jck

Feb 19, 2009
I did this successfuly but it involved buying Outlook 2007 ($100). First I exported everything from my Palm Desktop file using the export function (I exported to .csv format), and then I imported the file to Outlook 2007, then synced the iPod calendar to Outlook. One note about this switch: the iPod calendar is basically a toy. You can't even search your appointments. Think before you switch.

Overpanic

Jul 25, 2009
Palm Desktop to iPhone using Companionlink

Just wanted to add my two cents...

I just switched from my Palm Tx to the iPhone 3GS and needed to transfer over all of my calendar data from Palm Desktop (I don't use Outlook, although it is installed on my computer). I had a hard time finding an easy way to do this, and I didn't want to pay a lot of money, but I eventually found Companionlink for Google. It took three steps, but it got the job done - and the trial evaluation was free!

http://www.companionlink.com/

Essentially, what it let me do is first sync my Palm Desktop Calendar with Google Calendars. I then used the program a second time to sync Google Calendars with Outlook (which was important, because I have Outlook 2002, which Google does not currently support). After that, it was easy to get iTunes to sync with Outlook and transfer over all of my calendar data.

I didn't sync my contacts, but it does that as well. It also seems to work for other phones (like the palm Pre), and if you purchase the full version you can use it to continually sync your data back and forth.

Hope this helps!

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
CompanionLink is good alternate sync software. Costs $50. Not bad if you need advanced sync fields in Outlook and works with many smartphones. But you can do it for free as other members have pointed out. Having come from the Treo palm I can tell you the calendar isn't as robust even syncing with Outlook. The stock calendar is just very basic. Not a problem for me. There isn't any Today screen to see appointments at a glance unless you are willing to jailbreak and use 3rd party applications. There are workarounds.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I moved from the Palm OS a little over a year ago after using it for 10 + years. As has been stated in previous posts you need to select outlook as your calendar etc. on your palm. You do not need to pay $199 + if you will do a little research. Go to MS outlook's help menu and search for "Palm" and topics such as moving, copying your calendar, contacts etc to the iPhone. You will not be able to copy tasks or memos. You may also do most of this via google. I use google calendar so I may sync between my office, home and iPhone. It will take some time and effort and some frustration but is well worth it. Hope this encourages you to make the change to the iPhone. I did and have no regrets even with the launch of the Pre.

Polizei

Nov 10, 2010
I know this thread is old and was referring to the PC version of Palm/iPhone, but I wanted to give a little update.

I work in an IT department for a University, and I recently had to help a doctor take about 10 years worth of Palm Calendar, Datebook, and Contacts over to his iPhone. I frustratingly searched the internet for a solution to this that did not involve him having to pay for software, and I finally found an answer.

The easiest way for us was to use a program called iSync which is in the applications folder of your Mac. You'll want to make sure you have one of the newer versions (I think anything past 2.0 will work, we used 3.0). You'll also want Palm Desktop 4.2 or later software installed (available for free online). They recommend syncing with the Palm Desktop software first, to make sure your Palm has all the necessary updates before proceeding.

Once you have all this in place, follow the directions from this short article-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2576

You can use this to sync your information to your iCal and your Address Book.

Then connect your iPhone, open up iTunes if it doesn't open already, and under the info section select the data you need (aka iCal, Address book, etc). Make sure the necessary boxes are checked. Once done, apply these settings in iTunes and the iPhone should sync the data.

Hope that helps any others out there that may have struggled to find an answer.