iPhone Tethering hack free?

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX

This looks pretty cool. I'm still afraid to download it though because I'm not sure if it's free or not. Apparently it is. Does anyone know?

Aaron

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
It is free to download. I did it yesterday. It is pretty slick. Fast too! I wouldn't recommend doing anything stupid on it cause then AT&T may tag your account.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
This is great solution for those at work that are being watched, websense, st. bernard, etc....

They can't sniff your internet activity if you are using your iPhone for access.

daycheck

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
Logan utah
www.tosque.com
tried it.. no workie.. :(

Edit: My mistake.. works GREAT! had to reboot my pc. oh and you MUST have iTunes 8.2 installed.

:)

Using it right now as a matter of fact!

jorgesito

Bronze
Aug 7, 2009
I did it. It works really good. Awesome app, but one question. When I am tethering it says at the tope of my iPhone "Tethering" does that charge anything to my plan?

Thanks guys

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I did it. It works really good. Awesome app, but one question. When I am tethering it says at the tope of my iPhone "Tethering" does that charge anything to my plan?

Thanks guys
I've been using this for nearly three months with no issues at all. There was one month that I used over 10gb of data! I know, I'm asking for it, but I have not been charged extra. The reason I was tethering so much was because I was having some issues at home with my network. Now I only use it for my netbook when I'm out and about. Works great!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Can anyone verify if this method works on 3.0.1? I'd try it out myself right now, but I'm at work.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I finally got around to trying this. It does work on 3.0.1.

a042349

Nov 22, 2008
I have a friend that works for AT&T and he explained how these tethering solutions work, and how you'll "maybe" get caught.

Most of these "prohibited" tethering solutions (for iPhone, Symbian, Android, and Windows Mobile) are not readily detectable by your provider. They can't realistically examine every packet from every user, nor can they "see" your devices and find out what you're running on them. What they can and do is look for spikes in usage (both data and voice minutes - for different reasons) and if they see a spike they "may" investigate further. So if you've had an iPhone for 6 months, and average 200mb a month using Safari, Mail, YouTube, etc, and then your usage suddenly spikes to 1.5GB in one month. They flag your account for a closer look see. Then they can start some network packet captures from your connection, if they find packets related to known non-iphone applications (bittorrent, IE, Google Chrome, etc) then they can and sometimes will send you a hell of a bill.

Sometimes they just watch your account for a few months and see if it goes down to a normal level - particularly businesss accounts - lots more to lose if you upset a company with 1 bad Apple out of 200 accounts.

So the rule I follow - and have used these apps on all my platforms, is use it sparingly, try to stick to web browsing (you "could" claim a Safari spoofing of IE for instance) and other reasonable and light data amounts. Not all users who use 10gb in a month will get caught and charged, but those are much more likely to be, than the occasional netbook web browser tethered to his iPhone is.

-JS

a042349

Nov 22, 2008
Oh sure they do, for many of their phones - smart and normal. But they can be expensive and/or like in the case of the iPhone they don't "yet" offer one.

They also wouldn't make sense for many users because they may only need it here and there - on a trip somewhere, or if your home connection goes down, etc. Hard to justify $40-80 per month if you're don't need it quite a lot, and if it's work related many companies will pay for it for their employees.

People just like to not have to pay the extra charges if they don't have to. Many get away with (as have I) but a few do get caught.

I was just pointing out what I've been told about how people get caught when they're not paying for it. YMMV

-JS

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Do not get me wrong I don't WANT to pay for it, but saying if I got caught what I would be looking at for paying, even thought I still would not pay it. LOL

I hate corporations, always trying to screw us someway. So the above methods to tethering work for the iPhone?

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Nevermind I just followed the steps and it works great. I am glad I found this. I just hope I do not get caught is all.

a042349

Nov 22, 2008
Well I've used the free hack that enables Bluetooth and USB tethering and the BT connection worked for my laptop. My iTunes install (required for the USB connection) is on my desktop so I haven't tried that one.

I actually bought MyWi ($9.99) from Rock Apps because wifi connections are a little faster, and it will work with any system (like a friend's laptop for instance) really easily as opposed to having to pair the phone with the laptop through Bluetooth.

So again, if you keep your usage reasonable, and stay away from things like HD video streaming, or P2P apps, etc, you should be ok.

-JS

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
I jwant to use it every now and then for general web surfing to pass time when I am away from home is all.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hey, can someone that has already updated to 3.1 try try this method for tethering? The how to video is on page 1 of this thread. It only takes a minute.

Please! :)

I'm ready to install 3.1, but I might change my mind if 3.1 breaks tethering with this method.