iPhone tethering is here!

shawndre

Sep 16, 2007
saw that netshare is available on the app store. anyone download it yet, wondering how well it works before I buy

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
wow, that's pretty cool. it looks like it just came out... Ill proabably wait to see what other people say about it before I buy it.
thanks!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Interesting. It's from Nullriver, the guys who originally developed Installer. I'll take a look at it later.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
so does anyone know how exactly does this work? does it use the wifi connection?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Wow. I think I'm going to buy this before the carriers complain enough to get it yanked. Gizmodo or Engadget (can't remember which one at the moment) said it does indeed work.

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
so does anyone know how exactly does this work? does it use the wifi connection?
Umm, if you have Wi-fi, you wouldn't need to tether your device to obtain connectivity on your laptop. Tethering is basically a means to use your mobile device (iPhone 3G in this case) as a modem by utilizing it's data connection (3G) to power your laptop's internet access.

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
What are the chances it will get pulled? If it does what happens to those that have purchased it? I guess only time will tell.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Umm, if you have Wi-fi, you wouldn't need to tether your device to obtain connectivity on your laptop. Tethering is basically a means to use your mobile device (iPhone 3G in this case) as a modem by utilizing it's data connection (3G) to power your laptop's internet access.
no, I know that... that's not what I meant, I know what tethering is. but now I see that it does in fact use an ad-hoc connection. I was wondering if it would be able to use the USB connection or something, but I guess not

also, do you think that AT&T would charge for this? I'm sure they're not going to like this idea...

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
Wow. I think I'm going to buy this before the carriers complain enough to get it yanked. Gizmodo or Engadget (can't remember which one at the moment) said it does indeed work.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if we buy it now we will continue to have it no matter what, or if it can removed from our phones/iTunes somehow. I cant believe this thing even made it to the APP store!

I think what he may be asking is how is the connection between the laptop and the iPhone handled? Wifi? Bluetooth? Im not sure either but I would imagine its wifi.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
What are the chances it will get pulled? If it does what happens to those that have purchased it? I guess only time will tell.
Don't know the answers to your questions, but you can bet when ATT hears about this there will be a big fuss. Unlimited Data on the iPhone was not meant to be shared with a laptop.
Don't get me wrong, I think this is great and will probably buy it but ATT is going to look at this in a whole different way. As you say, only time will tell.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
You can tether with all of AT&T's other 3G devices. Tilt, BlackJack, etc. Why should the iPhone being any different?

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Well looks like it is too late! it is no longer available. :(

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yep, it's already been taken down. Funny.

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Can you believe it. That is amazing because I know the apps have to be approved by Apple Right?

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Just when you thought there was a great app that was useful