iPhone tethering with Snow Leopard

Sep 7, 2009
Here are the key steps to get iPhone 3GS USB tethering to work Snow Leopard.

1) direct iPhone safari to help.benm.at/tethering.php
2) select country
3) select carrier
4) select Install
5) go to Settings>General>Network>turn "internet Tethering" ON

6) On your Mac, delete iTunes 8.2.1 and re-install iTunes 8.2
7) Connect iPhone via USB
8) Go to System Preference>Network
9) Click on the "+" at the bottom of the network interface left menu panel, and select "iPhone USB" from the "interface" pull-down menu
10) Click Create

This should cause your Mac to pull an IP address from your iPhone, and your Mac should be connected.

Note to previous OS X version iPhone tetherers: delete previous USB ethernet interfaces (e.g. Ethernet (en9) that had automatically been established by previous tethering. Do not delete the interface named "Ethernet". This is your default (en0) interface.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think steps 6-10 are necessary, even if you're on SL and running the latest iTunes version. It's pretty much plug and play. Connect with the USB or Bluetooth after steps 1-5 and it should just work.

Sep 7, 2009
@Europa

It's always great to find a know-it-all out there. But this time, you are not correct.

For anyone who has been tethering on Leopard with the mobile config file found @ help.benm.at, upgrading to Snow Leopard does not remove the USB ethernet interface created when tethering was implemented under Leopard. This old interface give all the appearance of working, but no connection occurs in spite of the tethering indication on the iPhone and an apparent IP address for the old USB internet interface. Snow leopard provides a new iPhone USB interface which DOES work, but you must replace or remove the old interface before the tethering install becomes "plug and play".

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No, Europa's right on this one. I'm running Snow Leopard and tethering works perfectly fine without the additional steps. Just tried it.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I tried it yesterday before even reading this thread. It worked like it always has. I thank you for the information and I have printed it into my knowledge base in the event I need to reference it. But for now, it is plug and play.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's always great to find a know-it-all out there. But this time, you are not correct.

For anyone who has been tethering on Leopard with the mobile config file found @ help.benm.at, upgrading to Snow Leopard does not remove the USB ethernet interface created when tethering was implemented under Leopard. This old interface give all the appearance of working, but no connection occurs in spite of the tethering indication on the iPhone and an apparent IP address for the old USB internet interface. Snow leopard provides a new iPhone USB interface which DOES work, but you must replace or remove the old interface before the tethering install becomes "plug and play".
Chill out. I don't think I came across as a know it all. I was just stating the facts. I just tried it again and it still works on SL without your additional steps.

chris309

Mar 4, 2010
I tried this but i can SELECT USA then i get to carrier screen and there is AT&T BETA or T mobile.. i have AT&T well i click AT&T and i get a download button NOT a install button... and i click it but only get a profile not recongnized.. any help? pm me PLEASE