iPhone text tone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by everlastuk, Jan 16, 2012.

1. everlastuk

everlastuk New Member

hi guys ive got a iPhone 4 with IOS 5.0.1, recently ive been trying to upload some new tones etc to my phone, thing is this morning when i received a text from a friend i noticed the text tone i selected wasn't the one that played when i received the text, its really really confusing me because when i go to settings-sounds-text tone the actual tone i want plays the tone but when i receive a text it wont play the tone but instead it just plays a standard tone, no matter what tone i select in settings i will still get the standard tone when a text is received. However my email send and receive tones work when changed, basically tones for anything else work its just for text tones.
    This is so damn confusing i just cant get it to work, have i deleted a important .caf file? can someone please dig me out of this, please don't reply back with reinstalling the whole IOS i really don't wanna do that.

thank u guys

2. Smiffy403

Smiffy403 Member
    Bronze

Try a hard reset, I've had this happen to me and it done the trick

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

3. everlastuk

everlastuk New Member

i don't wanna do that ill lose everything and ill have to jailbreak it again etc etc its so long winded.

4. Smiffy403

Smiffy403 Member
    Bronze

No not a restore a hard reset, (hold down the home and lock button till the screen goes black when the Apple logo appears let go)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

5. everlastuk

everlastuk New Member

thanks for your help mate but that didn't work either usually i can do everything on the phone without much trouble but this is really weird, i mean i cant even change to any kinda tone none of the basic text tones do anything.

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

You mentioned being jailbroken, are you using the stock messaging app or a Cydia app? Have you installed any text tone themes from Cydia? I tried out an Angry Birds text tone theme last year and experienced the same behavior you have described. When I installed the tones manually with iFile/SSH it worked fine. Unfortunately I don't have access to a stock iOS5 file system to compare what file(s) you may or may not have deleted. I'm sure with a little more info someone can help you out :)

7. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Check your contacts list to see if another contact contains that phone number. I had my wife's contact info in both her personal contact on my iPhone and as part of our "Home" contact. The custom ringtone wouldn't play until I deleted her info from "Home". Then it worked perfectly.