iPhone time

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Hello guys
Please tell me how to set time manually accurate to seconds in iPhone. I don't want to use auto time since it is not correct
Thanks

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Hello guys
Please tell me how to set time manually accurate to seconds in iPhone. I don't want to use auto time since it is not correct
Thanks
Go to iPhone Settings>General>Date&Time, and turn off "Set Automatically."

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Dear Lon
I know that, please note that I said I don't want to use the "set auto time" since the operator time is not correct. I want to set it manually( I know to set manually too but i want to set the time accurate to seconds)Hope you got what I mean. Thanks

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
you need to change you location's time zone. probably still reading cupertino

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
There is no way to manually set the seconds on iPhone. You might have to play with setting the time manually until it lines up with your reference. What are you using as a reference, by the way?

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply kadelic. I am using timeanddate.com as reference. There is a world clock app available. But it can't sync the device's time cos not allowed. So you mean to say that I have to do the trial and error method until I get the time in line? Isn't it hectic? Thanks again

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Isn't the iPhone using Internet time? Which in turn is using Greenwhich? It should be dead on. My iPhone is what I use to set all my other clocks. My 3 iPhones always match.

It interesting yours is off.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
As far as I know, the phone gets the time from the carrier. I have an app that lets me know the differential between the iPhone's time & NIST.

Emerald Time is the free app I use.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
It was a surprise for me to know that when I set my time to auto update(I believe this is from the carrier) I found the time was ahead as 18 minutes from the real Internet time, or better I say from my friends' watches! Can you believe? That's why I wanted to go for the Internet time, reference from www.timeanddate.com and I realised that I need to do trial and error to get the time accurate to second in sync with the real time. What I would like to know is if I can depend on the Internet time. Thanks

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
What I mean you were telling about an app which synchronize with atomic clock? If so what is that app?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
In post #9 of this thread, I named "Emerald Time" as the free app. I'm using the EiC app so I don't know where you're located but here in the States, Emerald Time and atomic clocks are as accurate as I can get. The "i" in the app gives a full explanation of how it works.
YMMV

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
BTW, years ago I was an accurate time fanatic & used my shortwave radios to listen to the National Bureau of Standards time servers on WWV out of Fort Collins, Colorado. Atomic clocks, of sort I use, accomplish the same thing by syncing to those servers wirelessly through radio waves. You can even buy wrist watches that do the same thing.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Not to sound harsh but how accurate do you really need the clock to be?
I'm still curious about this too. I understand about wanting to be particular about every detail but unless you're coordinating special ops isn't plus/minus 2 minutes good enough? iPhone is usually within one. If you really need better get one of them fancy watches;)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
My time is set to auto update, I just checked it against timeanddate.com and my phone is 5 seconds slow. I can deal with that.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I'm still curious about this too. I understand about wanting to be particular about every detail but unless you're coordinating special ops isn't plus/minus 2 minutes good enough? iPhone is usually within one. If you really need better get one of them fancy watches;)
Well, the OP was speaking about his phone's time being as much as 20 minutes out of whack. That would drive anyone over the edge, IMHO. I got OC about timing in the old days of the VCR recordings of shows I wanted to catch when I wasn't home.

YMMV