iPhone to act as hotspot

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dennyd

Aug 8, 2010
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm sure that everyone has thought of this at one time or another, but does anyone know of a device that will connect to an iPhone 4 and use the 3g service on the phone as a wifi (hotspot) ? I know that AT&T and other carriers will provide this service at a cost (and with ATT you must give up unlimited data) which I don't want to do. Surely someone has such a device?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If you jailbreak your device you can use apps such as MyWi or PDANet. These allow the user to use their phone's 2G/3G connection over wifi to a laptop or desktop etc.

Dennyd

Aug 8, 2010
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If you jailbreak your device you can use apps such as MyWi or PDANet. These allow the user to use their phone's 2G/3G connection over wifi to a laptop or desktop etc.
Thanks.... I am not at all familiar with how to jailbreak an iPhone nor what the upside or downsides are. Will the phone still be able to use iCloud? and iPhone apps? Can you still download new OS's when they come out? Is there any place I can go to read on jailbreak and how to do it? The apps you mentioned MyWi and PDANet can be found where? I know they are not Apple certified....

Markyboy

Bronze
Oct 29, 2011
When I wanted to jail break my iPhone the first place I went to was http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/
Jailbreaking is very simple and after you've done it there will be an app on there called cydia which is kind of like the app store but just for jailbreak apps. In that store you will find the hotspot apps.
iCloud and official apps will still work as before. One word of a warning: my experience of jail breaking seemed to slow down my iPhone 4s and reduce the battery life. It also stopped my online banking apps from working. Your experience may vary and it's easy enough to restore back to an unjailbroken state. However while the phone is jailbroken you wont be able to receive updates. Hope this helps