iPhone to be LOCKED by APPLE?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ojasray

Jul 17, 2007
hey so i was reading macrumors, and it seems there is a press release
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/24/schiller-on-iphone-unlocks-and-incompatibility/

that future updates will "damage" your iPhone to the point that you wont be able to use. yes i know it voids the warranty--WHY? i don't know......software to void hardware warranty..first time iv heard this.....but is there any truth to this? because i have 2 phones that are unlocked, and although i don't care for wifi iTunes i am sure down the road there will be a update that i want to do, but i don't want that to screw my phones...

any thoughts? what to do?

Musiq

May 14, 2007
Well...you might not wanna hear this, but here goes:

You can't really have your cake and eat it too. You want to bypass Apple and AT&T's set up and agreement by having an unlocked iPhone. But you ALSO want to continue receiving all the cool upgrades Apple and AT&T will come out with in the future. But of course they're not gonna keep giving you cool upgrades to use on a phone that totally bypasses them.

So your only choice is to decide which is more important:

- TO HAVE A PHONE LOCKED TO AT&T, BUT YOU ALSO GET ALL THE LATEST FEATURES WITH EVERY UPGRADE

- TO HAVE AN iPHONE THAT'S UNLOCKED, BUT WILL SOON BE OUTDATED WITHOUT ANY NEW FEATURES IN THE FUTURE

Unfortunately you're not gonna be able to have it both ways. So the choice is up to you! :)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
At&t paid some major dollars to have an exclusive contract with APPLE. Now Apple is just honoring that contract by making sure that the phones can't stay unlocked.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
hey so i was reading macrumors, and it seems there is a press release
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/24/schiller-on-iphone-unlocks-and-incompatibility/

that future updates will "damage" your iPhone to the point that you wont be able to use. yes i know it voids the warranty--WHY? i don't know......software to void hardware warranty..first time iv heard this.....but is there any truth to this? because i have 2 phones that are unlocked, and although i don't care for wifi iTunes i am sure down the road there will be a update that i want to do, but i don't want that to screw my phones...

any thoughts? what to do?
They're just trying to scare you. True, the new update might brick your phone if you just up and download it right away. The trick is DON'T UPDATE YET. I guarantee the hackers will have a work around in a few days. Wait for them to give you the green light and then go ahead and update. The "green light" will be posted at modmyiPhone.com as soon as it's ready.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
They're just trying to scare you. True, the new update might brick your phone if you just up and download it right away. The trick is DON'T UPDATE YET. I guarantee the hackers will have a work around in a few days. Wait for them to give you the green light and then go ahead and update. The "green light" will be posted at modmyiPhone.com as soon as it's ready.
You are so right, I saw a dev post on another site, and they will have a program for you to use that will restore and then after update put it to the unlock, but you have to wait a week.