iPhone to get or not to get?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LtHorn

Oct 26, 2007
so...I have been debating whether or not to get an iPhone for awhile now and im still on the edge about it. here is my current situation. I am part of a family plan with AT&T and have been for many years. i have 1450 rollover and 2k texts. my part of the bill is only 40 bucks. we just signed a contract this past april.

currenly i have a razr v3i i have modded it and done all that i want to with it. the rubber on the buttons is starting to come off, the hinge is coming loose, the pads on the corners have fallen off. but other than that it works great. in general though i don't like flip phones.

what i think is currently holding me back is the 8gig capacity, i would really rather something much bigger, so if anyone knows of a future upgrade to this let me know.

the 20 dollar addition to my plan isn't bad so thats not an issue. but having to sign another 2 year contract pisses me off. do you think i could talk them out of it since my current one is for about 18 months?

so really is the iPhone worth it....ooh and i currently have a 4g 20gb ipod...don't know that that makes a difference but i figured i should throw it in there.

please push me in the right direction

LT

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Why do you need more storage on the iPhone? If you need more, buy an external hard drive, or an iPod. If you need something to hold loads of music, then the iPhone is not the tool you should be looking at. It's not the ideal tool for using as a MP3 player for long trips. The only use the storage gets on my iPhone, is movies that I copy onto there to watch. Once I have viewed the movie, it is deleted.

Before getting the iPhone, I had the 8125 & 8525 (not at the same time obviously). I was reluctant to get the iPhone, but am happy I got it now (I won't touch Apple Macs, that is how reluctant I was). It doesn't have nowhere near the functionality of the HTC phones, but it has an amazing GUI and the screen is really good for surfing the net. My old HTC phones were terrible when it came to web surfing (screen was too small).

so...I have been debating whether or not to get an iPhone for awhile now and im still on the edge about it. here is my current situation. I am part of a family plan with AT&T and have been for many years. i have 1450 rollover and 2k texts. my part of the bill is only 40 bucks. we just signed a contract this past april.

currenly i have a razr v3i i have modded it and done all that i want to with it. the rubber on the buttons is starting to come off, the hinge is coming loose, the pads on the corners have fallen off. but other than that it works great. in general though i don't like flip phones.

what i think is currently holding me back is the 8gig capacity, i would really rather something much bigger, so if anyone knows of a future upgrade to this let me know.

the 20 dollar addition to my plan isn't bad so thats not an issue. but having to sign another 2 year contract pisses me off. do you think i could talk them out of it since my current one is for about 18 months?

so really is the iPhone worth it....ooh and i currently have a 4g 20gb ipod...don't know that that makes a difference but i figured i should throw it in there.

please push me in the right direction

LT

LtHorn

Oct 26, 2007
Why do you need more storage on the iPhone? If you need more, buy an external hard drive, or an iPod. If you need something to hold loads of music, then the iPhone is not the tool you should be looking at. It's not the ideal tool for using as a MP3 player for long trips. The only use the storage gets on my iPhone, is movies that I copy onto there to watch. Once I have viewed the movie, it is deleted.
well, what im hoping for is an all in one so i don't have to spend 400 on a new ipod. but i do understand that 8 gigs can hold quite a bit of data

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I only have high bit rate music (256kbps and higher) and I keep well over a hundred songs in my iPhone playlist at any given time. I also have about 30 PhotoShop and LightRoom video podcasts on here that I will watch while traveling. I haven't used half my 8gbs yet. I change playlists every week or so, but admittedly, I don't listen for over about an hour/day on most days.

I'd LOVE an iPhone with enormous amounts of memory, but for me, it wouldn't be all that useful without a file management system so I could carry data and offload my camera like I can on the iPod.

I also came from a series of Treos, 8125, and then the 8525. While the 8525 was BY FAR the best of the bunch, the iPhone surpasses them all in terms of overall use. The new Tilt is tempting, but the iPhone UI, Safari, the whole package stills kicks major bootay.

Hey, speaking of more memory, I read today that a university researcher recently developed a new technology that will fit a terabyte onto a normal sized flash drive! An iPhone with a terabyte, file management, cut/paste, Flash, and open to developers. Ah, a perfect world...

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
well, i have a small bonus comming up that will cover the cost of an iPhone in about 90 days. so i guess you guys have that much time to convince me lol

LT
Get it, as you can see I hang around here a bit and I don't even have one myself yet but I can tell you this, most people (given some bickering) here are very happy with their iPhone. Could it be more do more....sure, the future of iPhone can only get brighter! I definitely do not think you will be disappointed.

Good Luck!;) And Welcome to EIP...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
There's convincing speculation that Apple will have done some nice "stuff" to the iPhone by then. I can't imagine they won't have some impressive-ish apps available well in advance of releasing the SDK in February.

Of course, 90 days can be a lifetime in the electronics industry. Who knows what will be available or on the near horizon in January...

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
An iPhone with a terabyte, file management, cut/paste, Flash, and open to developers. Ah, a perfect world...
And let's see, when will that come out, November is already questionable, holiday seasons are already taken, hmmmm, January and now March...ok let's just shove that release date into Feburary....

Yes, "SOME PEOPLE" are saying there will be a terabyte, file management, cut/paste, Flash, and open to developers iPhone released ooooooonnn Feburary 20th!

:p;)

LtHorn

Oct 26, 2007
And let's see, when will that come out, November is already questionable, holiday seasons are already taken, hmmmm, January and now March...ok let's just shove that release date into Feburary....

Yes, "SOME PEOPLE" are saying there will be a terabyte, file management, cut/paste, Flash, and open to developers iPhone released ooooooonnn Feburary 20th!

he he he ill wait for that one...so ill come back to the site in what? 3 years?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

Um, ok. I'm going to assume that was "tongue-in-cheek", but just to be clear, this new tech is a whole new way of thinking about metallic storage mediums and is at least two years off from any sort of mass production. Even though it's theoretically going to be cheaper to produce and significantly more energy efficient than today's flash technology, you can bet anything that cutting edge will be ridiculously priced when it's first released. Sort of like the fact that you can buy a 256gb flash hard drive right now - IF you have 4-5 grand laying around! In a few years, that'll probably be the standard and this new deal will be the "next logical step". Can't wait to see what our "toys" will look like then!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
well, i have a small bonus comming up that will cover the cost of an iPhone in about 90 days. so i guess you guys have that much time to convince me lol

LT
I'm not going to waste 90 minutes let alone 90 days to convince you to get one.... :laugh2:

Instead, I'll use 90 seconds and say- JUST DO IT!

Seriously though, if you want it bad enough, reach into your pocket and get one. Many of us love our iPhones while others have returned them the first chance they got. And you could/might do the same.

IMO, people who ask should they get something that they know they want are looking for someone else to validate their purchase.

Well, if that be the case, it's been validated several responses before mine. I think 90 days from now you'll still be asking if you should get one..... but hey- thats just my opinion.

LtHorn

Oct 26, 2007
I'm not going to waste 90 minutes let alone 90 days to convince you to get one.... :laugh2:

Instead, I'll use 90 seconds and say- JUST DO IT!

Seriously though, if you want it bad enough, reach into your pocket and get one. Many of us love our iPhones while others have returned them the first chance they got. And you could/might do the same.

IMO, people who ask should they get something that they know they want are looking for someone else to validate their purchase.

Well, if that be the case, it's been validated several responses before mine. I think 90 days from now you'll still be asking if you should get one..... but hey- thats just my opinion.
i probably am just looking for someone to validate my pending puchase, but hell in 90 days if am am still considering it, i will just go ahead and buy it.