iPhone TomTom

ijpereyra

May 15, 2007
Any news about usisng Tomtom software in the new iPhone ?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Eh tom tom as in turn by turn directions No. Google is offering their maps service and as of now thats it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not until they open up the iPhone to 3rd party software. You do have the issue of loading your Maps onto the iPhone which would eat into your storage space. The iPhone supports Bluetooth, so a Bluetooth GPS receiver would do the trick. I love the TomTom software, but they seem a bit slow when it comes to upgrading their software. I don't see them turning around a solution very quickly even if Apple were to say ok to 3rd party development. Would I buy it? In a heartbeat.

-Chris

Dre180

Bronze
Apr 16, 2007
New York (Soon to be Chicago)
Not until they open up the iPhone to 3rd party software. You do have the issue of loading your Maps onto the iPhone which would eat into your storage space. The iPhone supports Bluetooth, so a Bluetooth GPS receiver would do the trick. I love the TomTom software, but they seem a bit slow when it comes to upgrading their software. I don't see them turning around a solution very quickly even if Apple were to say ok to 3rd party development. Would I buy it? In a heartbeat.

-Chris
i wish garmin would make a software for the iPhone...so much better than tom tom

May 9, 2007
Does Google maps support gps locating? By that I mean, will it show your location if you have a gps connected? (ie: Using google maps on a PDA) I know that google earth supports gps locating.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Does Google maps support gps locating? By that I mean, will it show your location if you have a gps connected? (ie: Using google maps on a PDA) I know that google earth supports gps locating.
With an external GPS. I don't believe the GPS found in the iPhone would support full mapping.

-Chris

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
maybe not but combined with a map application would it not be able to put your spot on a map?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
maybe not but combined with a map application would it not be able to put your spot on a map?
I doubt it only because of what I've seen with other products. The Moto Q has built-in aGPS band and it's not very useful. It definitely doesn't work with GoogleMaps. I think it's more of an emergency locator and not a practical use. If the iPhone had full GPS capabilities, it would definitely be listed in the tech specs. I enter my location in GoogleMaps and then it can send back information through the data connection.

Last edited:

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
TomTom 6.0 on the iPhone (we need something like this)

-Chris
While it is true that installing TomTom Navigator 6 (if it was available) for the iPhone would "eat into" your storage space, for me it would be well worth it. The US and Canada version takes up about 1GB of space. Before buying the iPhone, I had a Nokia e61i with TomTom Navigator 6.0 on it. I found the TomTom software to be fantastic, just as good as a dedicated unit (such as the Garmin Nuvi 350). In many ways I actually like it better than the Nuvi 350. Because it has network access, it can easily get real time updates. Yes Garmin has other Nuvi's that can do this, but they are more expensive than the 350.

For me, the ability to run a native GPS routing application is on the top of my wish list. Any GPS routing application that requires an active cell connection (like telenav) presents the obviuos problem of requiring a good cell signal. The inherent problem with that is that the only time people need GPS routing is when they travel, and are possibly going in and out of cell coverage. Also, from my comparison of Telenav with TomTom 6.0 on Symbian, Telenav really just can't compare. I hope they give us a real native GPS routing choice on the iPhone. I don't care that it doesn't have an internl GPS, you actually get much better reception with a bluetooth GPS under your windshield (less interference from the phone, and better antenna positioning).

My hope is that even if Apple doesn't open up development to third parties they will at least partner with a company like Garmin or TomTom to port their software over to a native iPhone application.

Jun 26, 2007
Ohio
Need Real GPS

I agree. Real street navigation, like TomTom, is a must. Until Apple allows/provides it on iPhone, I have to stick with my Treo, which runs TomTom. Broader GPS software, like GeoNiche, which also runs on Palm, would be great, too.

piyf420

Bronze
Jun 19, 2008
I decided to buy a cheap 150 dollar gps unit. And I don't think the iPhone would work as good. I don't even think it could be loud enough like the one I have. And this one has never crashed. :p

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I heard that TomTom actually made software for the iPhone that Apple didn't accept into the App Store. And they are probably weary of releasing it for jailbroken phones only. If we could only get our hands on that software!

I also heard that TomTom did next to nothing to port it to the iPhone, it was so easy they just did it in like an afternoon. If it was really that easy, maybe we could port it ourselves.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I heard that TomTom actually made software for the iPhone that Apple didn't accept into the App Store. And they are probably weary of releasing it for jailbroken phones only. If we could only get our hands on that software!

I also heard that TomTom did next to nothing to port it to the iPhone, it was so easy they just did it in like an afternoon. If it was really that easy, maybe we could port it ourselves.
I have heard the same thing, and I'm looking forward to hear some more! The TomTom is a great piece of navigation software, and I have used it on my old Dell Hand-held.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have a TomTom 720 but I've found I actually don't use it much anymore. For quick trips, I usually just use my iPhone to look up the directions in advance and sometimes to track where I'm heading along the way. The TomTom is just a pain to set up and take down every time - makes me wish I'd just gone ahead and gotten a car with built-in GPS. And that damn suction cup never stays stuck to the windshield. :mad:

I would LOVE to see a TomTom app for the iPhone. I have a car charger and dash mount for my iPhone already so I'm all ready. I would also be willing to pay up to $99 and set aside a GB or 2 for maps. Then I'd sell my 720 to cover the cost...

Barachus

Bronze
Aug 28, 2008
xGps is a sort of halfway solution, it works great though it only displays the route turn by turn, and it doesn't have a voice guided tour, its not tomtom but its better at navigating than the native app