iPhone training starts today?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tompayne

Bronze
Apr 12, 2007
a post from the macforums

"Well I do manage an AT&T store and here's what I know.
All Cingular stores (at least in my region) will be getting the final rebranding to AT&T by June 20th. That means the large Cingular signs will be taken down and replaced to AT&T sometime between now and 6/20. My particular store is scheduled to have this done in 2 days.

There will be a DSL line installed and a wifi hot spot installed at most AT&T stores to compliment the iPhone display unit so the iPhone can be demoed surfing the web at acceptable speeds.

We fully expect people to camp out and management is toying with the idea of a midnight release. All store staff is expected to work all weekend (6/29-7/1) and a new position is going to be filled at some of the stores. The position is called a "product pro". This is someone who just shows off the newest devices to customers. No sales, just demoing. It is a summer only position.

Haven't received any word as to our store allocation, although I have heard it will be around 40 per store. That may change. We also don't know how we will handle the campout situation. My guess is we will walk down the line with numbers in a hat and have those people lucky enough to get a low number come back when we are ready. This may also change.

iPhone training courses start today. It is an online training. There will be another one released next week. Haven't seen it yet, cause I'm off. I can tell you more tomorrow after I take the course.

That's it for now."

maybe we can get some news from employees

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Wow, a midnight release would be awesome. I wonder if Apple stores would follow suit...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Haven't received any word as to our store allocation, although I have heard it will be around 40 per store. That may change. We also don't know how we will handle the campout situation. My guess is we will walk down the line with numbers in a hat and have those people lucky enough to get a low number come back when we are ready. This may also change.
Hmmm, so it's like luck of the draw no matter how long you have been there? I don't see a lot of people, especially those that are there earlier than everyone else, being very happy if that is the case.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Thats one way you will be feeling really happy or really sad Say you get their early and get #8347534 or be the last one there and get #1

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Makes sense on the DSL (At&t you know and not broadband cable) and the Wireless Networks so the phone will be blazing fast in the store. Just wait until those people get off the WIFI and the phone drops down to EDGE speeds.:sick:

I wonder how many will be going back saying their phone is broken because it's slower than it was in the store.:laugh2:

BTW, thanks for posting that TomPayne. Give us a little more insight into what's coming up in the next few weeks.

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Makes sense on the DSL (At&t you know and not broadband cable) and the Wireless Networks so the phone will be blazing fast in the store. Just wait until those people get of the WIFI and they drop down to EDGE speeds.:sick:

I wonder how many will be going back saying their phone is broken because it's slower than it was in the store.:laugh2:
LOL oh man, I bet this is going to be a severe headache for Apple and AT&T employees to deal with.

Jun 6, 2007
a post from the macforums

This doesn't sound like a very fair way to handle the crowd. If I may suggest I think you should handle it how many store locations dealt with the release of the new XBOX. Basically they kinda did what you are planning but gave sequential numbers to the first people in line. However many you are allocated are how many numbers you give out. You should prepare your entrance/sidewalk with ropes or whatnot, so that campers only have one choice - single file!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
This doesn't sound like a very fair way to handle the crowd. If I may suggest I think you should handle it how many store locations dealt with the release of the new XBOX. Basically they kinda did what you are planning but gave sequential numbers to the first people in line. However many you are allocated are how many numbers you give out. You should prepare your entrance/sidewalk with ropes or whatnot, so that campers only have one choice - single file!
The original poster copied this from another forum. He's not the one making these decisions. He just posted it here for us to know what one store manager was relaying to another forum.