iPhone turns itself on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eplantz, Jun 9, 2008.

1. eplantz

eplantz Member Bronze

I have an iPhone... purchased at release time last year. It is currently version 1.14 and jailbroken.

It has been working perfectly. Then, about half a week ago, it started to turn itself back ON after I turn it off.

At first, I thought it was user error. But, it has happened 5 times now and I'm positive it WAS off. I hold the top button until the red slider shows to power off. I slide it and see the spinning gear and then the screen is black. I can press the home button and nothing happens.

Then, after about 10 minutes, I hear the "new email" sound and walk over to see the screen on. This is not good for the battery (I have the screen set to stay lit).

I tried Googling to see if anyone else has seen this issue but found nothing.

I can turn it off again, take it upstairs with me and watch it to see when it comes on but then it behaves. When on the kitchen table, it is "close" to a cordless phone handset (maybe a foot).

Anybody have any ideas on how the unit is turning itself back on?

Thanks
  2. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot Bronze

This is a most peculiar problem and I can't say that I have seen many people experience it. Since you are Jailbroken the first step I would tell you to take would be to restore in iTunes as a NEW iPhone. This will get rid of almost all traces of a Jailbreak and will put your phone close to stock. If that doesn't do the trick then I would suggest heading to the Apple store.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. marklynn70

marklynn70 New Member Bronze

Turning itself on has too be much better than turning itself off. I'm just thinking. :eek:
  5. eplantz

eplantz Member Bronze

at first glance, you may think so.

but, when you get ready to leave the house and go to turn on the phone and find it is totally dead because it turned itself on overnight and the battery is dead..... not much better.
  6. itsbigdee36

itsbigdee36 Member

when u turn it off do u put it on the charger cause if so it turns itself back on to charge
  7. Elbacanazo920

Elbacanazo920 New Member Bronze

Until then Best Suggestion is walk around with your charger and Dim the screen until you can fix it.
  8. eplantz

eplantz Member Bronze

no, I just turn it off and set it on the kitchen table. I watch it turn off, watch the spinning gear, it goes dark and is off. 10 minutes later, I find it on.
  9. projectdarkside

projectdarkside New Member

10. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot Bronze

Have you tried restoring the phone? If not then you're not going to find out what the issue is. Restore it as a NEW iPhone and if that doesn't do the trick, visit Apple.