iPhone turns off randomly

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Jdsmitty10, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I have had a few issues where my phone has turned off randomly. One time I took a quick pic, locked it, then decided to take another one, went to unlock and it was off and I couldn't get it to turn back on as if the battery was dead. It had 15% remaining when I took the first pic. Other times when I have it wirelessly hot spot connected to my car audio system streaming pandora it has happened. I chalked that up to possibly over heating or just a mess up with hotspot. I have had quick battery jumps from 20 to 30 percent as soon as I plug in to charge. Then finally last night I woke up to put my 2yr old back to sleep and checked my phone to see what time it was and my phone was off again where I had to do a reset by holding both buttons to get it to turn back on. (Btw that's how I turned it on all other times it randomly shut off). It was plugged in and charging last night so the battery couldn't of been dead. Luckily my kid woke up or my alarm would not have worked. I see this is not a minute issue and supposedly Apple is working in it. But any idea when the fix might come? Or temp fix to not have it happen again?
    Thanks
    Jon

Sent using iCafe app

2. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

Having the same issues myself, always seems to be when the phone is in a colder climate. I work outdoors and it can turn off at 40% sometimes. If I put the phone in my pocket for a while and warm it up it will turn back on. Key is keep it warm!

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Are you saying that at one point the iPhone didn't turn back on even when on charge? As far as your other points, it's actually normal sometimes for the iPhone to turn off at weird percentages. Unfortunately the battery percentage is not always accurate. To fix this temporarily, you can just let it turn off fully on its own and then charge it to 100%. Let it turn back on itself.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A restore would fix that.

5. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

Restored, updated and restored....still happening! As for the above post, I don't consider the phone turning off at 40% normal. I understand that the percentage can be wrong at times but not that far out...and for it to turn back on when warm would suggest something is up?!

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Honestly, I don't see it being not normal. Well ok it is not normal in a sense, but it happens. I've had my iPhone die at 15, 30, 40%. Doing a calibration (die on its own, charge to 100%) helps me every time. But then sometimes at 1% even, I can use the phone still as it's actually at 15%. I've never heard of temperatures turning it on or off. Odd.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My reply was for the OP. Yours is caused by extreme temperatures whereas his is shutting down at room temperature.

8. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Anytime it has happened to me I had to hold home and lock for 10 sec to get it to turn on.

Sent using iCafe app

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What was the percentage at when It turned on? For me I can turn it back on 3-4 times every now and then, but then it officially is dead. :p

10. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

The pic I took was out in the frigid 15 or less temps when it turned off. But I literally pulled it out of my pocket, snapped pic, walked a few steps,tried to snap a pic and found it off. Wasn't out for more than a min. Other times it was in my car during the warmer months streaming music and one time in my 70deg bedroom plugged in. When I restore do I lose everything? Just do a back up and restore right and my phone will be the same?

Sent using iCafe app

11. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Not sure each time but no where near dead. Especially the time it was plugged in and charging. Any other time was prob above 20 atleast..

Sent using iCafe app

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. It makes me mad a lot, but not much I can do about it. One time my iPhone said 40% but after walking to library basement for class, 10 minutes later it dropped to 20.

13. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Was signal bad down there. I have had that happen with little or no signal phone gets hot and dies fast

Sent using iCafe app

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Of course signal is bad in basement. But that shouldn't cause battery to drain faster.

15. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

It does tho. Searching for signal makes mine drain real fast.

Sent using iCafe app

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yes. I try to turn off Wifi if I'm in areas that I know there aren't any.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's incorrect. Poor signal strength can zap the battery.

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Are you saying even if I turn off wifi?

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So it only happened one time indoors? I wouldn't worry about it then. It's normal for it to shut down when it exceeds the operating temperatures it is designed to work in, so don't count those.

20. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I'm talking cell signal. My wifi is on all day at work where I don't have access to it and my battery lasts decent. It's when cell signal is low or none it drains big time

Sent using iCafe app