iPhone TV Out Workaround

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
This is exactly why these cables should have been Composite instead of Component, it's just unnecessary to use Component given the iPhone's output capabilities.

The logic is maddening, the amount of TVs you could actually use this thing on when traveling is effectively cut down to the "the big screen in the hotel bar" as your only option. I travel a lot and Composite have finally saturated the market to make conveniences like this CONVENIENT.

/crossing fingers for a 3rd party solution
Although the above post is from another thread, I thought I'd start a new thread for my reply, since this info could prove to be useful to those who need it.

Try this: put your iPhone in a UNIVERSAL dock (not the dock that came with the iPhone). Connect the dock to any TV using a standard miniplug jack/composite video cable, and see if that works. It should. (I would have confirmed this for you myself, since I am a huge video user of my iPods and iPhone, but as tempting as the TV Out feature is to me, the 1.1.1 upgrade is simply not worth me giving up all the additional modding/built in apps that I can do with my current 1.0.2 firmware.)

I have one of the new 160gb iPods, and I was shocked to learn - like many others - that you can no longer just use any stock cable to connect the iPod to a TV. Apple has now incorporated a chip in the new iPods that will only recognize approved cables and docks. This is truly maddening, since my Sonic Impact V55 iPod player no longer works. It looks like the Apple plan is that manufacturers will have to pony up some sort of licensing fee to Apple in order to get their devices to be recognized by upcoming iPods, iPhones, and iTouches. Apple is starting to smell more and more like M$ every day.

However, after mulling over the Apple web site, I discovered that the wording mentions that you will have to use Apple video cables...*OR* a "universal dock". Jackpot! I've got, like, half a dozen of these docks laying around from over the years. Now, the new iPods won't even let you change the "TV Out" menu unless and until the iPod is connected to an appoved cable or dock. But...once it's in a universal dock (which apparently has the correct "chip" in it), you can change the iPod to "TV Out", and use ANY old video cable via the universal dock. My cable is a 25 foot 3rd party video camera cable that will reach all the way across the room, and it is COMPOSITE. It works fine. Apple would like you to believe that you MUST use a component cable, since that's the only cable they currently sell, but if you use a universal dock, you can use the cables you already have. Or at least cables that are a LOT cheaper that what Apple sells.

Dec 26, 2007
"I have one of the new 160gb iPods, and I was shocked to learn - like many others - that you can no longer just use any stock cable to connect the iPod to a TV. Apple has now incorporated a chip in the new iPods that will only recognize approved cables and docks. This is truly maddening, since my Sonic Impact V55 iPod player no longer works. It looks like the Apple plan is that manufacturers will have to pony up some sort of licensing fee to Apple in order to get their devices to be recognized by upcoming iPods, iPhones, and iTouches. Apple is starting to smell more and more like M$ every day."

Ok, I am in no way defending Apple here, what they did was REALLY stupid. But ALL they did was just change the pin outs on the docking port to support usb and composite outputs. There isn't any magical chip or licensing fees being applied here. In theory, the V55 (I own one) should work with a firmware upgrade from View Sonic. Be patient.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i just tried to connect a movie to my tv from my phone and spent 30 min trying to figure out what i was doing wrong, i have the cable that i used with my ipod video, and i was using the iPhone dock, this sucks that it didn't work, it sucks that i have to buy the 50$ universal dock to make it work, this is lame!

ukuser

Dec 7, 2008
Hi,

Just tried the above advice and found it not to work at all.
Just wanted to let people know before spending money on a universal dock.

Putting my iPhone into a universal dock throws up the message "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone".
Not to be put off I still attempted to connect the universal dock to TV via a 3rd party non-Apple AV lead.

Got nothing, TVs AV channel showed "no signal".