iPhone update for the shareholders tomorrow?

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Since Apple is having its analysts call tomorrow I'm thinking Apple might but out a update for the iPhone so they have some good news for the shareholders. Just a idea. Would be nice.

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Since Apple is having its analysts call tomorrow I'm thinking Apple might but out a update for the iPhone so they have some good news for the shareholders. Just a idea. Would be nice.
That would be nice, but I think the good news to the shareholders would be that the iPhone made a bucket-load of cash.

tylerdw89

Jul 3, 2007
An update to the iPhone would have zero effect on their stock price.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
An update to the iPhone would have zero effect on their stock price.
how do you figure? EVERYTHING in some way shape or form would have an effect.

for example, since Apple has already promised updates, that information is already built into the stock price. any sort of delay or lack of update would impact expectations, and drive stock price down (even a little).

an update that would fix the bugs discussed, and improve performance of the phone would most definitely have an effect on the stock...maybe not right away, but there will be.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
how do you figure? EVERYTHING in some way shape or form would have an effect.

for example, since Apple has already promised updates, that information is already built into the stock price. any sort of delay or lack of update would impact expectations, and drive stock price down (even a little).

an update that would fix the bugs discussed, and improve performance of the phone would most definitely have an effect on the stock...maybe not right away, but there will be.
an update could like fix something in the iPhone and add something new causing the people who have been waiting for the Update to come to buy a iPhone to buy a iPhone and inturn increase Stocks. Maybe?

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I actually have a really good feeling an update will be out tomorrow.

I don't know why.

DURSO

Jun 25, 2007
I'm waiting for the update before I buy. Guess is, there is thousands of others like me out there. An update will definitely increase sales, which in turn will increase stock price.

an update could like fix something in the iPhone and add something new causing the people who have been waiting for the Update to come to buy a iPhone to buy a iPhone and inturn increase Stocks. Maybe?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
As said above, everything has an affect on stock prices. I, for one, think an update (especially a really comprehensive one) would create an initial price jump. Second, the people who are specifically waiting to buy the device after the initial update will buy, thus providing a spike in the number of devices sold - this will equal another price jump. Third, if it IS a comprehensive update that fixes some of the more universally criticized flaws/compromises (cut and paste, stereo BT, serial BT, Safari crash fix, etc), then a LOT of the critics who refuse to buy due to these limitations will buy. All these things would be a direct result of a "good" update.

How cool would it be to be able to use your BT GPS with this thing?
How much better would it be if you could cut and paste text?
Do you want to use BT headphones for the iPod function?
Wanna get really fancy? Let the device access a BT hard drive like the (someday available) Seagate D.A.V.E.

I don't have a lot of problems/complaints with the iPhone. I love it, actually. Allowing us to have these features (which ALL appear to be software limitations) would make it the closest device out there to PERFECT.

I think, now that the actual number if iPhones sold the first weekend have been published, it's clear that Apple is going to have to step up their game to get this device into as many pockets as their goal states. Providing these almost ubiquitous features to users would definitely make the device more attractive for the money.

AND make the stock price jump!

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I'm willing to bet no update will be forth coming until OSX 10.5 is released as this will finish the integration between Apples new OS and the iPhone. That means sometime around the 4th quarter we'll get our update.

I can almost guarantee you Apple won't release an update for a shareholders meeting, especially just before one in some effort to drive stock prices up. If anything, it's a gamble either way. A software update could cause thousands of problems and drive stock prices down when the media catches wind of it. You don't typically rock the boat before a major meeting, that's corporate rule #5 I think.

Sorry guys, we have a few months before we get our update.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm willing to bet no update will be forth coming until OSX 10.5 is released as this will finish the integration between Apples new OS and the iPhone. That means sometime around the 4th quarter we'll get our update.

I can almost guarantee you Apple won't release an update for a shareholders meeting, especially just before one in some effort to drive stock prices up. If anything, it's a gamble either way. A software update could cause thousands of problems and drive stock prices down when the media catches wind of it. You don't typically rock the boat before a major meeting, that's corporate rule #5 I think.

Sorry guys, we have a few months before we get our update.
Good point about an update potentially causing major problems, but that's a possibility regardless of when it's released. Also a good point about coincidentally releasing iPhone/Leopard. That's not that far away in terms of calendar pages, but I can only imagine what the CFO at Apple is thinking after releasing the fact that the first weekend only saw <150,000 units sold - less than a quarter of the projected figure. Topping it off is the fact that maintaining sales figures are no where near where they should be to meet their goals. They are going to have to do something soon, or their whole iPhone businesss model is going to go down in flames! I don't know. Maybe they'll offer reduced pricing? Who knows. The fact is, with less than a quarter of the units sold that were predicted, and sales now being flat, the iPhone is a thorn in the side of investors. Whether Apple can make that thorn bloom into a rose - well, that's where some quick creative footwork is going to happen almost immediately...

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Good point about an update potentially causing major problems, but that's a possibility regardless of when it's released. Also a good point about coincidentally releasing iPhone/Leopard. That's not that far away in terms of calendar pages, but I can only imagine what the CFO at Apple is thinking after releasing the fact that the first weekend only saw <150,000 units sold - less than a quarter of the projected figure. Topping it off is the fact that maintaining sales figures are no where near where they should be to meet their goals. They are going to have to do something soon, or their whole iPhone businesss model is going to go down in flames! I don't know. Maybe they'll offer reduced pricing? Who knows. The fact is, with less than a quarter of the units sold that were predicted, and sales now being flat, the iPhone is a thorn in the side of investors. Whether Apple can make that thorn bloom into a rose - well, that's where some quick creative footwork is going to happen almost immediately...

I don't think Apple ever gave numbers on what they would sell first weekend, most places sold out. I went 6 days later and got one (like most sensible folks). Analysts varied from 250 -700K units for the weekend. Its been reported that 146K were ACTIVATED the first weekend, everyone knows that it was almost impossible to ACTIVATE that first weekend due to issues at AT&T so im not sure that the number is the Valid sales number. That number wont include sales made over the internet as you could not activate it until it was received, but the sale will be captured if it was made that first weekend. Additionally, the fastest selling Apple product in the past was the IPOD nano which sold 1 million units in 17 days (and was about 10% of the cost and a hell of allot less profit). There are allot of folks and media that love to thrive on disaster stories, this will NOT be one.

Apple have achieved in one year what Motorola, Nokia, SonyE have failed to do in 15 years, there should be a media report on that disgrace. There are minor bugs and missing features, this is V1.0 phone/software! I work in software and you're generally lucky if your V1.0 actually switches on and works. I, like everyone else cannot wait for the future updates from Apple, this phone is amazing and has amazing long term potential..

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I can see a price drop taking place by Christmas. The only thing Apple can do to boost sales in my view is to 1) lower the price (not likely at the moment) or 2) add additional features that will draw in new buyers.

I ALMOST didn't buy mine because I really need Exchange Email for the phone to be useful as a businesss tool. I also really wanted to wirelessly tether my Macbook via my cellphone to the internet like I do with my Q when I'm on the road. Since I don't have these two features I almost took a pass. But, being the impulsive techno-freak I am, I got one a few days after iDay and after telling everyone in the office I wasn't going to be an early adopter of this phone. LOL

I still love my iPhone and still carry my Q in my backpack. Once Apple gets some of those much needed applications/functionality working (including cut and paste) they may see a surge of businesss users jumping in line. Almost everyone I meet in my professional life likes the iPhone a lot but almost everyone says "does it do Exchange mail" and I say "nope, it doesn't work right now" and they pause... then say the phone is useless to them (they are Crackberry users mostly).

We'll see.

I also think that if they unlocked the phone allowing 3rd party developers to make apps for it like games and other tools this would greatly improve sales... many people hate the fact the phone isn't 3rd party app friendly.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Apple have achieved in one year what Motorola, Nokia, SonyE have failed to do in 15 years, there should be a media report on that disgrace.
That's so true. The iPhone has completely set the cellular market on its ear. We're already seeing clones hitting the market and in a few months you can expect Japanese firms to be offering products with similar UI as the iPhone on WM5 and Symbian devices.

The iPhone is truly revolutionary.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
From Macrumors about the Conference...

Conference Call Notes

- Landmark quarter for Apple
- NPD reported iTunes became 3rd largest iTunes retailer in the U.S.
- Apple says it sold 270,000 iPhones in the 1st 30 hours of sales.
- Activation problems initially, but now working smoothy.
- Based on surveys, people love their iPhones. 90% of iPhone owners were Extremely or Very satisfied with their phone. 85% Extremely or Very Likely to recommend the iPhone to others.
- Expect to sell 1 million iPhones by Sept 29th
- 4th Calendar Quarter to sell iPhone in Europe.
- Announcement later this quarter.
- 10 Million iPhones goal in Calendar 2008
- Plan on incorporating new Software and Features into iPhone over time. Will begin to receive payments from AT&T in the future quarters.
- Subscription accounting on iPhone and Apple TV sales.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
If you read the minutes, a lot of the analysts are trying to get information out and trying to relate it just to money.

One guy just tried to relate revenue and if there will be a series of iPhones that decrease in price (i.e ipod, ipod nano, ipod shuffle). They keep saying "We can't discuss this".

Lots of good details through the conference though. First I've listened to.

cj sparrow

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Colorado
Apple news

Historically, this is not how Apple releases this type of information. The news from the investor calls are generally about profits and this one will lay to rest how many iPhones were actually sold during the last 2 days of the quarter.

By accounts that I read, 270,000 iPhones were sold, a lot higher than the 146,000 hinted at based on the number of activations released earlier this week. The real bright spot in the call was the very large increase in the number of Macs sold (a 33% increase of this time last year). This is the true heart of Apple's businesss. iPods and iPhones are good diversifications, but the real sign that Apple is growing as a company is how many of its core products is it selling and what is it's market share.

Steve Jobs traditionally has set events for the announcement of major upgrades and new products, and the investor calls are not on the list of those events. Look to the upcoming show in Paris as the next opportunity for an announcement. If there is an "unscheduled" announcement about the next iPhone, then Apple will schedule an event, in either Cuppertino or New York, invite the Press, and make it a media event. Investor calls are too low key.