iPhone update stopped, stuck with the iTunes image with a connector wire

Bondo925

Dec 31, 2007
Okay so my iPhone was updating and it just stopped...and its been stuck with the iTunes image with a connector wire and an arrow pointing TO the iTunes image. I've tried restarting the phone, my computer, reseting the phone, reinstalling iTunes and the Apple Mobile thing...none of it has worked. If anyone can help me, I'd be most appreciative!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, try the following:
First uninstall iTunes. Don't worry, you will not lose your settings or backups.
Second, reinstall the latest iTunes from Apple. (btw, what version of windows? the latest version of iTunes does not work with anything earlier than XP.)
Third. This may seem redundant, but first, shut off the phone. Then power back on. Hold both the home button and t he sleep buttons for at least 10 second, then release the sleep button and hold the home button for another 5 seconds or so.
fourth. Reconnect your iPhone and then launch iTunes. make sure that iTunes recognizes the iPhone. If it does not, reboot the PC and try a different USB port before launching iTunes.
Finally, attempt to run restore. It should put you to the latest firmware.

Bondo925

Dec 31, 2007
I've reinstalled iTunes, nothing. And I have Windows XP, so we're good there, and Version 7.5 of iTunes. The powering off and home button thing didn't work. And I've restarted countless times n tried every USB on my computer. My iTunes won't even recognize that the phone is even there. My Computer will say something about "Apple Recovery (iBoot).." or something or other.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I've reinstalled iTunes, nothing. And I have Windows XP, so we're good there, and Version 7.5 of iTunes. The powering off and home button thing didn't work. And I've restarted countless times n tried every USB on my computer. My iTunes won't even recognize that the phone is even there. My Computer will say something about "Apple Recovery (iBoot).." or something or other.
I'd try the iPhone on another computer at this point - it's either the PC/iTunes/USB or the iPhone. To know which would be a useful starting point.

Bondo925

Dec 31, 2007
Well I tried plugging it into my brother's laptop and it didn't work either, the iTunes didn't recognize it, but the computer itself did.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Sounds like you have a bum cable. If you have another, I suggest trying it. If you are connecting to the dock and docking the iPhone, try without the dock.
Last but not least, make sure that there is no debris inside the iPhone's port. Something might now be connecting and while it might charge, it apparently isn't "talking".

If you don't have a spare cable and the above doesn't work, then I suggest getting a Griffin car adapter kit and using that cable. It's what I use as a backup if I have any problems with my dual dock. (which I seem to have from time to time.)

Bondo925

Dec 31, 2007
I tried another cable from iPod and such, and it didn't even come up on my computer, it just turned my iPhone back on to the same image of the iTunes logo and a cable with an arrow going toward it.

Bondo925

Dec 31, 2007
I was just on the phone w/ tech support for about an hour, and they decided its best to just send it in and get it repaired. Thank you for the help!