iPhone Update with Leopard?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jul 12, 2007
I know how almost everyone on here hates the talk of upcoming updates, but do you think there will be an update when Leopard ships the end of this month? (http://www.apple.com/macosx/)

Also, when watching the video for the update to 1.1.1 they referred to it as the September update. I would take that to mean there will be an October update, and November update and so on. Am I just reading too much into that?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Am I just reading too much into that?
I think you are, but that's just my opinion. Monthly updates would be pretty costly and very time consuming. 1 month turn around for updates are unheard of especially with development and testing. We may get a 1.1.2, but no significant changes....again all my opinion and speculation.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I think you are, but that's just my opinion. Monthly updates would be pretty costly and very time consuming. 1 month turn around for updates are unheard of especially with development and testing. We may get a 1.1.2, but no significant changes....again all my opinion and speculation.
Everything I read says there will be a Leopard update to the iPhone coming soon after the release of the software on October 26th.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I believe this will happen just because Leopard was SUPPOSED TO come out in spring, before iPhone. There are things that have to be done so that iPhone will work with leopard so AT LEAST we will see 1.1.2.

In my opinion there will be a big overhaul just because there are sooooooo many little things iPhone should be able to do that it can't and I think the only reason it can't is because they had to rush the phone out, where as with Leopard they had the option to delay.

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
I believe this will happen just because Leopard was SUPPOSED TO come out in spring, before iPhone. There are things that have to be done so that iPhone will work with leopard so AT LEAST we will see 1.1.2.

In my opinion there will be a big overhaul just because there are sooooooo many little things iPhone should be able to do that it can't and I think the only reason it can't is because they had to rush the phone out, where as with Leopard they had the option to delay.
Due to the update rumors and my experiences w/ the last firmware update, I am taking a wait and see approach before I jailbreak my iPhone. There's no point in installing apps and customizing the phone, only to have the next major upgrade erase everything again, especially if it's coming out in the next couple weeks.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I don't know about the rest of you but I really hope there is a 1.1.2 update this month by the 26th or next month. Any update is rather cool even though it may eliminate all your modding abilities. I myself have never installed any 3rd party apps so I don't really care about what the newest update restricts, I've only installed ringtones, and to pay for ringtones now is whatever, crap happens. Anyways yeah, any update will be cool with me, I hope you guys are right!

Edit: I found this article talking about a potential 1.1.2 update release. Rumors + Speculation as usual. http://Applerdf.com/2007/10/iphone-112-around-the-corner.html

crisc

Sep 7, 2007
There should be an update, if not how will the iPhone know how to communicate with leopard and it new features; since it has been confirmed that leopard with sync notes with the i*.

From Apples website:
  1. Notes
    Write handy notes you can access from anywhere — including graphics, colored text, and attachments. Group notes into folders or create Smart Mailboxes that automatically group them. Your notes folder acts like an email mailbox, so you can retrieve notes from any Mac or PC or access them from your iPhone.
Also I am sure there will be another iTunes update to integrate it with leopard.

Who knows this upgrade might be the kick the i* really needs or they could have spent their time locking down the phone more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
There was talk about updates with the new OS a long time ago, way before 1.1.1. The items included in the list of things to come out after the new OS were file browsing and chat app. I know the list had about 10 things on it. Another item was the cut-n-paste.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I do understand that people are tying the release of Leopard with an update, but I am not as sure as most people seem to be. The phone is supposed to not be tied to an OS, that said, I can't see the release of the OS bring that much to the table other then being more reliable for people that use the phone on the Mac. The reason I say it is not supposed to be tied to an OS is there is no disclosure on Apples part (other then being the creator of both) to say that there is an "enhanced" experience on the Mac OS vs those using Windows.

I just can't see it happening. I think it is just hopeful speculation.....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I do understand that people are tying the release of Leopard with an update, but I am not as sure as most people seem to be. The phone is supposed to not be tied to an OS, that said, I can't see the release of the OS bring that much to the table other then being more reliable for people that use the phone on the Mac. The reason I say it is not supposed to be tied to an OS is there is no disclosure on Apples part (other then being the creator of both) to say that there is an "enhanced" experience on the Mac OS vs those using Windows.

I just can't see it happening. I think it is just hopeful speculation.....
The only reason that an update would be tied with the release of Leopard is if certain functionality and security features were also available to the iPhone.
They would not release anything to the iPhone early or they would be "tipping their hat" to the MS programmars. Remember, they have had all this time to see what Vista was all about ( copying Mac mostly) and learned from MS's mistakes, tweaking and enhancing Leopard till it Apple was satisfied.
Since the iPhone is running a mobile version of OSX, and because it seems fairly easy to update through iTunes, it's not a wild assumption to think that the Leopard release will also spawn an iPhone update with it.
Maybe not for the reason of interaction, but I am sure that some of the Leopards functionality could be "dumbed down" for the iPhone, and thus creating a better selling point for the OS.
If a windows user loves his iPhone, and it does some or many things that can be found in Leopard (only not quite as rich and full functioning as Leopard) that's free advertising to a new market.
Plus, with the clones that are now starting to pop up (especially the MiniOne) it would be very smart on Apple's part to get on the ball and give the customers what they've been screaming for since day one.
If the MiniOne gets approved and shows in the US, and Apple hasn't added the basic functions we've been clamoring for, I will be strongly considering ditching the iPhone for a mini. It's that simple. And I am pretty sure that I would not be the only one.
I could be talking out of my butt, but my money is on seeing an iPhone update within 2 weeks of Leopards release. The only sad thing is, I doubt that people will be lined up for Leopard like they were for the iPhone.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Ok, I see how you are saying it will push for an update. The way I have read a lot of peoples posts about this were not that the underlying workings of the new OS would be transferred or adopted to the phone, rather the phone would be updated to work better/different with the new OS (a symbiotic relationship that is OS specific in some regard - ie sorry MS users). That is why I was having a difficult time is seeing how people were tying them together.

Jun 26, 2007
my opinion is that if there will be one soon, it will come with leopard, if not, i don't see another major one until after the holidays?
i dunno, its all speculation when it comes down to it