iPhone update.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dimples42, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dimples42

Dimples42 New Member

I updated my iPhone when it said to back up it only said apps.....my phone wouldn't back up for some reason so I didn't think it was going to hurt ( I could put them back in my self) so I went and started the update and after it was all done it took every-thing away notes-photos-txt message ect. I didn't think updated would do that I hadn't restored my last backup was 8/15/11. Is there any way I can get that stuff back. I have iPhone3

2. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

What did you update, to ios5?

3. Dimples42

Dimples42 New Member

4. Dimples42

Dimples42 New Member

My husband updated his he has iPhone 4 and it didn't do that to his.

5. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

and then you did a RESTORE FROM BACKUP and you didn't get all your text, settings, etc?

6. Dimples42

Dimples42 New Member

Not when I updated I didn't restore Until I realize that my stuff deleted. The last backup was 8/15/11 but there was two with out dates so I tired to restore from them two and it still took me back to 8/15-16.

7. Dimples42

Dimples42 New Member

I lost my stuff after the update was done.

8. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

What I've noticed is that my iPhone on 4.3.3 backs up before every sync but my iPhone on ios5 doesn't, it only syncs so I have to be backing it up every once in a while. To my knowledge I don't think there is much you can do now if you didn't have a recent back up before you upgraded.

9. Dimples42

Dimples42 New Member

I wonder why it wouldn't let me backup? It only said it couldn't backup apps so I thought it didn't have to back up the other stuff so I hit update. If I knew I would have e-mailed the rest of my stuff to me or copy and pasted my photo/videos to the pc. This phone is so strange you wouldn't think an update would do that.

10. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I guess it's one of those "you live and you learn" deals. I always come here and research or Google the other forums too before making any major changes and ask before doing anything major if I can't find the answer BUT sometimes I don't follow my own advice and I screw it up.

Just last night I deleted some large files on my portable hard drive and it was taking too long to empty the recycle bin so I just unplugged it. As soon as I did it I realized what I had done. Of course since I was in such a hurry it took me about 2 hours to reformat the drive, make the partitions and transfer from my other back up drive to have it up to date. If I had only waited a few more minutes until the recycle bin emptied on its own...

11. Dimples42

Dimples42 New Member

It just seems weird hubby didn't lose his stuff. Thank you for your help.

12. Clegane

Clegane New Member

Good morning all,

I updated my iPhone last night and this morning when I turned it on and typed in my old pass code to unlock it it said it was incorrect. Anyone else have this problem?

13. Mhlewis

Mhlewis New Member

I'm not sure if this is a related issue but after I updated my email account now says I have an incorrect username and password. I was able to log in to my email through safari so I know my login information hasn't changed.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Remove the email account and set it up again... Watch out for autocorrect too

15. Mhlewis

Mhlewis New Member

I already tried removing the account and setting it up again. Any other possible solutions?

16. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Remove email, do a hard reset/reboot of phone so everything is cleared out ( this is not a restore ), then try entering the email again. What type of email?

17. Mhlewis

Mhlewis New Member

It mysteriously started working again. It's a gmail account. Not sure how that happened, it certainly wasn't my technical expertise. Thanks for the help

18. Brnfox

Brnfox New Member

At Roof Monkey I have a friend who still has a iPhone 4 who didn't update
    His problem is
    It won't let him update any apps cause it says all the apps are compatible to iOS 5

19. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

it could depend on which app(s). Some may require IOS5, but usually they are backwards compatible. Any idea which apps they are having issues with and what firmware iOS do they have installed?

20. Brnfox

Brnfox New Member

All of them. He don't even pay it any mind. Once the jailbreak comes He said he will update everything