iPhone updates not going to be often due to Macworld release.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hey
I missed the 1.1.2 update as my iPhone was otb 1.1.2 at christmas, but IMO, since the 1.1.3 update took up one of Steve Jobs' spaces at macworld, which is a pretty important post, and was surrounded by a lot of hype from Apple, doesn't this mean that updates to our beloved handhelds will be rare and seen as big events such as say.......a laptop launch? Putting this into consideration, I'm guessing that the next update might not be until WWDC :(. As I said earlier, I was not around for the 1.1.2 update, and so do not know what excitement etc. surrounded that update, and also, the hype and important announcement of 1.1.3 might just have been because of the iPod touch update.....I don't know. Just thought I would post my thoughts and theories.

Arran

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I don't think updates will generally be tied to events or thought of as worthy of 'stage time', especially if they are .x (relatively minor) updates, and not a big, brand new 2.0 / almost iPhone OS upgrade type stuff. I think part of why a big deal was made of 1.1.3 this time is that there was really nothing else to say about iPhone - no news of iPhone v2, 3G model etc, no early release of the SDK or some real, new sanctioned native apps to show off - so we got some cooler features than past updates had included.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
1.12 wasn't necessarily a big update - the last big one was 1.11, which was in September. Back when 1.11 was released, there a few people that ad a theory going that because Apple had deemed 1.11 the 'September Update', that updates would become a monthly thing. Obviously, they did not.

But the amount of time between updates doesn't really bother me. I got my iPhone on July 28th, when it still had the original firmware. Back then, I couldn't by songs from the iPhone. I couldn't create multiple screens, add webclip icons and rearrange the SpringBoard. I couldn't send multiple SMS's. I couldn't double-click the Home button the get iPod controls. And now I can do all of that; I don't care that it's January.

- John

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
A lot of folks think there will be another update just prior to, or closely following, the SDK release ....
Yes, though I don't see why, as their has been some evidence to show that the ability to host third party apps is already built into the iPhone update 1.1.3.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yes, though I don't see why, as their has been some evidence to show that the ability to host third party apps is already built into the iPhone update 1.1.3.
True, but I don't know if anyone is sure that system is complete in this firmware. There may well be parts of it Apple is still working on, and of course there's also the never-ending Cat & Mouse game with jailbreaks and patching them etc.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
True, but I don't know if anyone is sure that system is complete in this firmware. There may well be parts of it Apple is still working on, and of course there's also the never-ending Cat & Mouse game with jailbreaks and patching them etc.
Very true.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
The next update will be in February, when the iPhone SDK is released, and iTunes will be updated to iTunes 8 i bet also... giving it support for apps in the store.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I sure hope there is a update soon to fix this darn text msg order problem.:mad:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
idunno about iTunes8... iTunes didn't require much tweaking to include video rentals. Shouldn't be much different for Apps.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
idunno about iTunes8... iTunes didn't require much tweaking to include video rentals. Shouldn't be much different for Apps.
i agree. it will most likley be iTunes 7.7 because raising it to iTunes 8 would be more for new features within iTunes itself, not the iTunes store. like maybe being able to use the apps somehow in iTunes would would raise it to iTunes 8

caboose

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
I sure hope there is a update soon to fix this darn text msg order problem.:mad:
word! it is so annoying! And half the time when I'm drunk I get confused and think I didn't say anything back. I can't believe it does this, because doesn't even non jailbroken phones do the sms order problem?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
word! it is so annoying! And half the time when I'm drunk I get confused and think I didn't say anything back. I can't believe it does this, because doesn't even non jailbroken phones do the sms order problem?
Yeah - the SMS ordering issue affects stock iPhones too - and even sober people :laugh2:

KTaylor574

Sep 7, 2007

Haha careful, I've found drunk texting to be just as dangerous as drunk dialing.