iPhone usage

Jul 30, 2011
I have a UK iPhone4G, have recently moved to the US and want to be able to use my phone here -both calls, text and online usage - one option is to get AT&T pay-as-you-go by buying a MicroSim card but this will not allow me data usage (except wirelessly) - only calls and texts
Is there a better option without being locked into a 2 year contract (Verizon)?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, you cannot get a 2 year contract with Verizon with your phone anyway, since Verizon uses CDMA tech and doesn't have a GSM network (no sim cards -except for LTE, and the iPhone is not compatible)
You might just want to call AT&T and find out what type of year long plans they have- if you'll be here for a year. Do NOT tell them what type of phone you have, because they will immediately say you need this that and another thing, and then tell you it's 2 years.
Unfortunately, in the US, we only have 2 GSM carriers, and one is not even compatible with the iPhone (T-Mobile- which AT&T is trying to buy right now anyway)
The other option is to do the pay as you go, and get a verizon mifi device. Then you can use the mifi for data, but the speeds are 1.5MB max.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There will be a contract of some sort unless he uses the pay as you go ( and now that I think of it, there is a deal out there for data as well on that setup), but he won't have to buy a phone and he won't have a huge penalty if he breaks his contract -unlike someone who bought a subsidized phone.

Jul 11, 2011
Uk
Should have stayed in the Uk and be serviced with better tariffs !

applejosh

Bronze
Oct 15, 2009
Can't you just get a non-contract plan with AT&T? I didn't think they made you sign a 2 year contract unless you buy a phone from them at the subsidized price. I could be wrong, but I thought that's how most carriers worked. Just need the voice and data plans at the current rates. Or is AT&T doing something stupid where they will only give you a micro SIM if you sign a contract?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I don't think he's gotten to that point yet. The link I posted gets him a cheap $10 phone and a pre-paid sim. The pre-paid account is $50 a month for unlimited everything. Text , talk and web.

Jul 30, 2011
I don't think he's gotten to that point yet. The link I posted gets him a cheap $10 phone and a pre-paid sim. The pre-paid account is $50 a month for unlimited everything. Text , talk and web.
I already have a pre-pay phone and simply wanted to move this onto my iPhone - apparently I need to unlock my iPhone and then I can use it for pre-pay purposes- call and text but no DATA - why is it so complicated here to simply use an iPhone without being locked into punitive and long-term contracts - it would be great if someone could tell me how to get round this issue?