iPhone used in the wild...

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
I'm really interested in why, if this person was asked if he was a journalist or a blogger, he said no, if he has in fact written articles for wine magazines and clearly intended to take this to the internet ASAP. Seems rather dishonest.

I was sworn to secrecy on any information I got about the iPhone (and I have some, and had some before the announcement in January) and I kept my mouth shut (and I still will). If this encounter took place, the iPhone's owner took a big risk showing it to a stranger. Kind of bizarre.

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Now THAT's a post!

None of this "i'll let you know later" businesss.

IF it's true (and that's a big IF this stuff is true...and by the detail of it...it sure does), then the thread above by kolizion is pretty much useless. (i.e. GPS proves false)

then again, both could be completely false.

either way...i'm excited for next week.
hek yes it is! great job! Lots of GREAT info....this could be a contender for post of the year!:p

mcnearcj

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
It sounds believable but this guy really risked his job if it is true. I'm sure they can narrow it down to a few phones and figure out who this person is.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I like how some people believe just because someone spill a bunch of details they are somehow more trustworthy then someone who hesitates to reveal certain information.

In my experience when people have information they should not be sharing, they are likely to be reluctant to share it all or be guarded about how they share it. Just spitting it all out is not a sign of validity. Just weird what measuring sticks some people use here to crucify others while proclaiming some the almighty.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
A few points of discussion have been brought up about this post...

1.) Is the guy in the story, (the wine guy who saw the iPhone) a web blogger? Technically, yes. However, I believe when / if this question was asked of him, the intent was to determine if the "wine guy" worked for or published critical reviews and / or opinion columns related to technology. I can imagine talking to these type of people or showing them the iPhone is ABSOLUTELY and EXPRESSLY prohibited. Talking to someone in the public who is simply expressing an interest in the device may be a little bit more of a grey area as far as the policies are written. Also, this close to release, there was nothing revealed in this encounter that could compromise any sort of secrecy being held on Apple's part.

2.) People are talking about "wine guy" readily revealing information vs. Kolizion being cryptic and secretive in his posts. I am inclined to believe "wine guy" over Kolizion, based on the fact that "wine guy" revealed some very simple details that were not earth shattering. Kolizion tends to be more cryptic and secretive, attempting to give hints and claiming he is holding back big news that he has intimate knowledge of, however he has yet to reveal anything of real substance that isn't already common knowledge or widely discussed. Answers that he has given on some technical issues appear to me to be more like educated guesses or assumptions, rather than someone who has intimate knowledge of the device. I am not claiming that "wine guy" has intimate knowledge of the device based on his 5 minute encounter with it, but he comes off as someone who as actually put his hands on it. Kolizion, in my opinion, doesn't come off as a person who has used the device at all.

I have kept pretty mum about the whole Kolizion being a fake / attention seeker debate. In the end the point is pretty much mute, because he has yet to actually reveal anything of true substance. Like a $2.99 a minute telephone psychic, he gives us some vague clues, and then allows the posters to argue the point and make their own assumptions. By not commiting to any of the nitty gritty issues, he can't be held accountable when the assumptions made by other forum members (based largely on his "inside info") turn out to be wrong.

This is going to be the longest week ever...

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007

1.) Is the guy in the story, (the wine guy who saw the iPhone) a web blogger? Technically, yes. However, I believe when / if this question was asked of him, the intent was to determine if the "wine guy" worked for or published critical reviews and / or opinion columns related to technology. I can imagine talking to these type of people or showing them the iPhone is ABSOLUTELY and EXPRESSLY prohibited. Talking to someone in the public who is simply expressing an interest in the device may be a little bit more of a grey area as far as the policies are written. Also, this close to release, there was nothing revealed in this encounter that could compromise any sort of secrecy being held on Apple's part.

2.) People are talking about "wine guy" readily revealing information vs. Kolizion being cryptic and secretive in his posts. I am inclined to believe "wine guy" over Kolizion, based on the fact that "wine guy" revealed some very simple details that were not earth shattering. Kolizion tends to be more cryptic and secretive, attempting to give hints and claiming he is holding back big news that he has intimate knowledge of, however he has yet to reveal anything of real substance that isn't already common knowledge or widely discussed. Answers that he has given on some technical issues appear to me to be more like educated guesses or assumptions, rather than someone who has intimate knowledge of the device. I am not claiming that "wine guy" has intimate knowledge of the device based on his 5 minute encounter with it, but he comes off as someone who as actually put his hands on it. Kolizion, in my opinion, doesn't come off as a person who has used the device at all.

I have kept pretty mum about the whole Kolizion being a fake / attention seeker debate. In the end the point is pretty much mute, because he has yet to actually reveal anything of true substance. Like a $2.99 a minute telephone psychic, he gives us some vague clues, and then allows the posters to argue the point and make their own assumptions. By not commiting to any of the nitty gritty issues, he can't be held accountable when the assumptions made by other forum members (based largely on his "inside info") turn out to be wrong.

Thank you for being the voice of the collective voice of reason.

I'm flabbergasted at how gullible people are being with kolizion. it's kind of creepy if you ask me.

like you said, the "wine" post sounds more legit because there are details that have not yet been previously revealed (settings menu, Edge icon, incoming text animation)

in the end, i think everyone is just going a little stir crazy with the lack of information and the "so close, yet so far" week until launch and they're willing to believe anything put in front of them.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007

Agreed! All Kolizion ever says is "more info later in the week" and then he'll occiasionally regurgitate information that Apple or AT&T has already officially released hours before, but he passes off like some dramatic revelation of his own...

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah he reveals nothing, like GPS will be included in the iPhone's little brother. :cool:

I think Kolizion is legit. He has to be cryptic, so he's clearly enjoying doing so. He can't reveal anything earthshattering, so he's limited to answering questions as best as he can. I think he's done a good job. Particularly fielding the peanut gallery.

Cut him a break. If he were to kowtow to your satisfaction he'd be risking his job. As it stands you do have a live interface to someone with access to knowledge. Take advantage of it while you can...

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Yeah he reveals nothing, like GPS will be included in the iPhone's little brother. :cool:

I think Kolizion is legit. He has to be cryptic, so he's clearly enjoying doing so. He can't reveal anything earthshattering, so he's limited to answering questions as best as he can. I think he's done a good job. Particularly fielding the peanut gallery.

Cut him a break. If he were to kowtow to your satisfaction he'd be risking his job. As it stands you do have a live interface to someone with access to knowledge. Take advantage of it while you can...
It's just a fact that he hasn't really said anything that anyone with any of the resources/links who frequents EverythingiPhone.com doesn't already know or has researched on their own. But I guess he provides good fuel for those daydream about the iPhone (myself included).

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
If you click on the pic it makes it huge...very clear to me.
So what do you think is on the screen? From the bottom buttons it looks like he's making a call. But the other buttons/arrangement don't look that familiar.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
Okay...

First: If Kolizion is truly employed by Apple or AT&T then it would seem that he is already risking his job by saying what he says. I don't think his employer would look at this blog and say, "Well you didn't reveal anything too big...no big deal Kolizion, keep posting." Second, he always seems to use "I am not at liberty to say." when asked about simple things that there is very little knowledge of (i.e. the settings menu.) I find it hard to believe that everything in the settings menu is of such a sensitive nature he can't reveal any details about it. It sounds more feasible to me that since there has been no speculation about it and no reasonable auumptions can be made about its layout, he simply can'tmake up any padded cookie cutter answer too suffice. I think Kolizions goal is to be the center of attention and geneate a ton of posts and views. Mission accomplished.

Second: Does it appear in the "wild" pictures that the iPhone seems to have more a matte finish on the screen, as opposed to a glossy finish? I think a matte finish would be much friendlier as far as smudges and dirty fingers are concerned....

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I think he's coy about the answers he gives for this very reason: Apple can't get upset with him if he's simply clarifying what's already been revealed in the blog press. He's walking a very fine line, but he's careful to cover his ass. And it's true that he could be an official viral plant... either way, you've got someone you can interface with before launch... take advantage of it.

Regarding the matte vs. glossy. I hear what you're saying. But if matte is supposed to be better, why do you think the MacBook Pro is offered with a glossy screen at the same price -- Better color saturation and "pop"

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Regarding the matte vs. glossy. I hear what you're saying. But if matte is supposed to be better, why do you think the MacBook Pro is offered with a glossy screen at the same price -- Better color saturation and "pop"
The PowerBooks were matte finish and a lot of professionals prefer that. So they still offer the matte finish as well as the new glossy:

MacBook Pro offers an antiglare widescreen display that’s perfect for color-minded professionals. For a more immersive viewing experience, you can configure the MacBook Pro display with a glossy finish. This gives everything you see a richer, more saturated feel.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
I completely agree that the Glossy is the better screen picture wise. However, even the folks who work at the Apple stores will tell you, if you are going to be using it outside or in high light conditions, the glossy screen tends to "flood" out.

Also, the Macbooks are not touch screen. They are anti-touchscreen, LOL. I can get my finger within an inch of that screen and a giant smudge appears. The picture is great, it is hard to keep clean. I would favor a matte finish to a glossy finish on the iPhone screen. I agree with you however, that the glossy screen on the Macbooks is absolutely gorgeous, provided you keep it clean.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
Also, have you ever dragged your finger across a smooth matte surface vs. a glossy surface. On the glossy surface, your finger tends to "catch" and "skip" a little because of the moisture and oils. The smooth matte finish provides a little bit smoother "gliding" sensation, and even a little tactile feedback, as far as it feels like more solid contact with the screen...

I work for the fire department here, and we run the ambulance service. We carry the Toughbook CF-18 touchscreen PC's to input our reports. They have a matte finish...the touchscreen experience is great. The rest of the computer sucks..LOL. We have another computer mounted in the truck, a CAD (computer aided dispatch) it is a glossy finish touchscreen. That thing is a mess, constantly. That has just been my experience, though.

I just can't wait to get my hands on it though. It would be nice if the iPhones came with a little screen wiper device like the Moto Razr did. Remember, it was that little pillow looking thing that could go on your keys. One of those with an Apple logo would be a nice piece of swag indeed!