iPhone Users: reply and send e-mails 8X faster using voice

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bhartsb

Sep 26, 2007
I am going to offer a paid for application&service where iPhone users would be able to send e-mails to themselves and then forward to their recipient naturally using their voice instead of typing whenever convenience/speed is an issue (voice is about 8 times faster...2min typing = 15 seconds of speaking). The e-mail will be delivered, in on average 45 seconds, with the voice msg transcribed accurately and formatted appropriately. It could likewise be used to send reminders to self etc.

It will work like this on the iPhone device: Speed dial-in to a number. Then you would hear an audible beep and speak you message. It e-mails back to your iPhone and then you forward it. Not quite one step (because no 3rd party apps are yet allowed) but still easy!

I have a simple 4 question survey that will take at most 30 seconds to reply to. I have really no other way to survey iPhone users other than to directly ask for this help (I need it for my investors). Whether interested or not your responses are very helpful me, so please do my poll:

http://esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx?id=99cd02f8-087a-426c-80d7-ef5dd8cafe76

If you have ever tried to launch a businesss that involves a new technology, you know how hard it is to get the market research part done. So please help me make iPhone even better by doing this survey.
If you are interested in this service then your positive response will make the service available faster as the product is ready only awaits funding round to complete. Also, if you fill out my survey I will give you a $10 credit towards the service when it launches (first 200 respondents).

Thank you.

sp33d

Bronze
Aug 28, 2007
I donno about a paid service for something of the sort. I think people would rather just type it. But that's just my opinion.

-RG-

Sep 18, 2007
With the extra steps to forward and everything, wouldn't that probably add up to 2 mins. I think I would rather type the msg sorry

bhartsb

Sep 26, 2007
Sorry, but I think this service already exists for free. I signed up for it here www.jott.com. It works really well, but I hardly use it.
Here are some things worth noting about Jott:

1) They are offering a free service which they plan to monetize
later
. This means they are having to rely on cheap labor offshore.
They must eventually make it a paid service or develop an ad based
model. Offshore labor also = less accuracy.
2) Transcription time is pretty slow, user report transcription times
ranging from several minutes, to ten minutes, to an hour or more.
3) Message length is limited to 30 seconds. (not such a big deal)
4) To send an e-mail by voice you must have your contact list in
their database and use their call-in number. Extra steps.

You will get what you pay for.
For non serious users, or notes to self it might be fine, but if you value your time and want your msgs to be the most accurate possible look elsewhere.

pmalon

Sep 19, 2007
So what if they plan to monetize later, you are planning to right off the bat. And if they offshore the labor who cares, the majority of large corporations do. I work for a large pharma company and they do a lot of offshoring. As far as uploading my contacts to their database, it was extremely easy. It imports them all from your email client in minutes. This actually takes out 1 less step then what your proposing because with jott you can call the 800# number and send the transcribed message right to your contact. With your service the email will be sent to yourself and then have to be forwarded to whoever you want to send it to. Why would I want to go through the extra hassle? Also how many people are going to be dictating longer then 30 second messages into their phones? Probably not many.

Patrick

sp33d

Bronze
Aug 28, 2007
Yes, I think its the second part of your businesss plan that kills it. No one will pay for a service where you have to do 2 steps when actually can be done in one. Sending it to yourself and then sending it out is way to complicated. And can you imaging typing a email address when driving......

bhartsb

Sep 26, 2007
So what if they plan to monetize later, you are planning to right off the bat. And if they offshore the labor who cares, the majority of large corporations do. I work for a large pharma company and they do a lot of offshoring. As far as uploading my contacts to their database, it was extremely easy. It imports them all from your email client in minutes. This actually takes out 1 less step then what your proposing because with jott you can call the 800# number and send the transcribed message right to your contact. With your service the email will be sent to yourself and then have to be forwarded to whoever you want to send it to. Why would I want to go through the extra hassle? Also how many people are going to be dictating longer then 30 second messages into their phones? Probably not many.

Patrick
If you notice my earlier post, I didn't say the 30 second length was much of a limitation. It might be a limitation if the e-mail doesn't arrive in a timely way however. With my service, the e-mail will get back to your phone quickly, so to forward it isn't really isn't a big deal (and maybe you would want to review the e-mail for correctness before you forward it). Yes it is an extra step, which is unavoidable on the iPhone, but at least it will be timely. Calling in to Jott and using their IVR is a lot of extra steps (and what if the recipient isn't already in your JOTT address book?). I'm not anticipating that user's will necessarily want to use my service for a majority of their SMS or e-mails, but what about those times where speed or convenience is a factor? Here are some examples:

Your driving and you want to dictate an e-mail. It might be longer than 30 seconds. Speak it, edit it, and forward it in a few minutes.

You are on a businesss trip, or vacation and you need to respond to someone, or enter a long memo. Call in speak it. Get it back review it, then forward it. Much faster overall than trying to type it.

In addition our service can be used to convert Voicemail to text, just as Dictomail, or Spinvox does.

To everyone giving feedback, thanks, even if it is harsh. Our system can easily accommodate Interactive Voice Response like JOTT has. Maybe we will add it. Frankly too, the iPhone is not our focus, rather Blackberry is. With Blackberry the service is completely integrated so it is 1 step to respond to or send an e-mail with Voice. Could do this on iPhone if they would open up to 3rd party development. We also have a PC application that allows use of our service on the desktop, with 1 step...push a button, key or mouse button and speak.

Further, we have spent a lot of time making it fast. We don't wait until a whole audio segment is recorded before we start streaming it out to the transcriber. Wait until more phones become 3G and it might be apparent how much faster our service is than any other. Unfortunately only the less favorite phones like the Samsung take advantage of 3G.

For now we'll be happy to go at the Blackberry market, as that is our sweet spot, but per the survey there are in fact some iPhone users that see a value in this service so they can use the dial-in we offer. And of course we will listen to what the users of that service want.

Last word on JOTT, they are going to burn through a lot of cash doing this service for free, and I doubt that they will be able to support it very well with an ad model. Our service is going to charge a reasonable price and try to give great accuracy and speed.