iPhone v nokia n95

jdave76

Oct 2, 2007
i'm not saying the iPhone isn't a great phone but i don't get all the hype and free advertisment Apple gets on every news program as soon as they release anything new. Apart from the bigger screen, user interface , storage until the n95 8gb come out next month. the n95 beats the iPhone on every feature and adds lots and lots more. i'm in the uk and you can get the n95 free on a 12 month contract, when the iPhone comes out next month over here its going to be £269 ($540) on an 18 month contract, revolution don't think so.:laugh2:.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I own a N95. From a personal point of view the iPhone has a better display, more intuitive user interface and a slightly better browser. However, its lack of 3G, key features and inability to modify just doesn't cut it for me.

I guess it's up to choice. I had hoped the UK iPhone would have been beefed up a bit in which case I would have looked at switching, however at the end of the day it's a niche market phone restricted to one network at an uncompetitive price. You could try unlocking it I suppose but it seems Apple are releasing aggressive updates that break some of these units.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
i'm not saying the iPhone isn't a great phone but i don't get all the hype and free advertisment Apple gets on every news program as soon as they release anything new. Apart from the bigger screen, user interface , storage until the n95 8gb come out next month. the n95 beats the iPhone on every feature and adds lots and lots more.
"Apart from the bigger screen, user interface?" Uh, that's like saying "aside from the bigger screen" my 36" TV is just as good as that 61" plasma.

And it's not just a bigger screen, it's a screen that is both physically larger and with twice as many pixels. It doesn't matter to me what the n95 can do, until it at least matches the screen I have now--the screen I look at everyday--I won't consider it.

There are other issues too, but there is no point in discussing them when there's already a deal-killer in the mix.

--
Mike

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Tinaman, there's a bit of a difference between comparing a 2.6 inch to a 3.5 inch screen and looking at TVs of vastly different sizes. As an analogy one could also argue that the bigger TV may look nicer but that the smaller TV has built in Freeview and can have a games console hooked up to it whereas the big one can't.

It's up to each buyer to choose what suits them. You won't consider the N95 for screen issues, I won't consider the iPhone because of its crippled feature set. Both opinions are valid and neither one is universally correct.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Tinaman, there's a bit of a difference between comparing a 2.6 inch to a 3.5 inch screen and looking at TVs of vastly different sizes.
Despite the obvious differences between a TV and a phone, that was exactly my point: to me (and I've held both side-by-side) the iPhone's and n95's screens are vastly different sizes. And not only different sizes, but different pixel counts. So that would be like one TV having hi-def and the other not.

As an analogy one could also argue that the bigger TV may look nicer but that the smaller TV has built in Freeview and can have a games console hooked up to it whereas the big one can't.
I wouldn't ever get to that argument because I've already decided--and yes, the iPhone has spoiled/changed me on this--that I simply will not accept a smaller or lower resolution screen.

Now if Nokia comes up with a phone that does match the iPhone's screen, among other must-haves, especially in light of Apple's hostile attitude to customers, you better believe I will be taking a hard look at it.

--
Mike

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
you can get a n95 for free in the uk with a contract? If that's the case, the advantages the iPhone has over the n95 are clearly outweighed. Plus the n95 has advantages, 3g, better camera, video....

In the US I believe the n95 will run you around 700 bucks (i'm not sure if its been released (offically) in the us yet.)