iPhone v1 with 2.1 update

Jul 1, 2007
I gave my iPhone v1 to my brother who lives in the Philippines a few months back. He had to have it unlocked to use with Globe, his cell provider. Now, we're not sure if he can upgrade to 2.1 without needing to unlock again since Globe just became the official cell network for the iPhone 3G back there.

Does the 2.1 software recognize sims for all official networks for the iPhone V1 and 3G? If this is the case, he should be able to upgrade without needing an unlock, correct?

Thanks.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I gave my iPhone v1 to my brother who lives in the Philippines a few months back. He had to have it unlocked to use with Globe, his cell provider. Now, we're not sure if he can upgrade to 2.1 without needing to unlock again since Globe just became the official cell network for the iPhone 3G back there.

Does the 2.1 software recognize sims for all official networks for the iPhone V1 and 3G? If this is the case, he should be able to upgrade without needing an unlock, correct?

Thanks.
The process of upgrading will lock his iPhone again. He will need to unlock it again with Pwnage or equivalent package since software unlocking works only wit V1 iPhones at present.