iPhone version 2.0

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
Just wondering i love my iPhone and most likely will never own another phone but iPhone version whatever. My question is during the keynote one of Jobs main points was the iPhone had no keys so if you think of some engenius idea they could add it to the phone via updates. So why a version 2.0? Or will we be able to upload the version 2.0?

Brandon!

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Version 2.0 would probably address hardware changes and HOPEFULLY an external media card. There is a lot they can do with firmware upgrades, but you can't upgrade to 3G, add more hard drive space or allow external media.

I think that the general look and feel of the iPhone will stay similar, but the internals will continue to get better -- just like the iPod did.

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
While it's too early to speculate about iPhone ver 2.0, one thing you can count on is that it will be an excellent product. Since Apple has such an experienced partner in AT&T the next version will be a blockbuster hit.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
2.0 would have double the HD space at the very least. 3g as well. They can update any if the software, so it would consist of better hardware for better software/performance.

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
wait for 2.0 or buy 1.0?

i waited before buying iPhone, and am glad i did, because after reviewing, it seems like it might be a good idea to wait for 2.0. I just don't know if i can wait that long, so maybe i'll buy iPhone and sell it when 2.0 comes out, taking a loss. any thoughts? it probably wont be too too long before 2.0 is released, but probably longer than i want to go with no iPhone.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
thanks for all the input friends. I love this phone but if and when the 2.0 comes out i will get it, probably not on launch day (i had to wait 30 some odd hours for activation) and to be honest 1.0 does everything i want and then some except mms. my last treo had 3 g here with cingular it loaded fast but the experience was nothing like with the iPhone. And that treo froze at least once a day

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Version 2.0 would probably address hardware changes and HOPEFULLY an external media card. There is a lot they can do with firmware upgrades, but you can't upgrade to 3G, add more hard drive space or allow external media.

I think that the general look and feel of the iPhone will stay similar, but the internals will continue to get better -- just like the iPod did.

I seriously doubt that external media interface will EVER be included with any Apple brand handset. They designed it to be solid and "locked down", like the iPod, and personally, I kinda like it this way. Style-wise, it looks good, feels good, is good. lol

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Personally, I will get the newest version of the iPhone when it comes out. I love my iPhone as it is, but I can't wait to see what will be improved.

My Mini-Wish List
3g
More Storage
Video Recording

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Personally, I will get the newest version of the iPhone when it comes out. I love my iPhone as it is, but I can't wait to see what will be improved.

My Mini-Wish List
3g
More Storage
Video Recording
I am (surprisingly) perfectly fine with the included storage space... I found there's not that much music I actually listen to, even when I had the 80gig iPod.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, there's not going to be a new hardware version of iPhone 2.0 any time soon. I think they are already at the top of the market for price of a mobile phone. The 8 GB model already has more storage than any Nano, which is surely the best selling iPod. I think they'll keep the high volume iPods the same, or just offer a new wide screen iPod that is like the iPhone on the outside and an 80 GB iPod on the inside.

I think they are going to work hard to do two things. 1) Further stabilize the operating system (there are obviously a few issues that people are seeing), and 2) Begin adding more functionality to the phone.

So I'm thinking iPhone 2.0 is just going to be software. If you already have iPhone 1.0, you will by default have an iPhone 2.0 when the new system is released.

I don't think Apple will add 3G any time soon. Too much of a battery drain, and, due to past experience, Apple is very sensitive to battery issues now. And I don't think more storage will become available until the cost of high capacity flash storage comes down in price.

EJW2202

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, there's not going to be a new hardware version of iPhone 2.0 any time soon. I think they are already at the top of the market for price of a mobile phone. The 8 GB model already has more storage than any Nano, which is surely the best selling iPod. I think they'll keep the high volume iPods the same, or just offer a new wide screen iPod that is like the iPhone on the outside and an 80 GB iPod on the inside.

I think they are going to work hard to do two things. 1) Further stabilize the operating system (there are obviously a few issues that people are seeing), and 2) Begin adding more functionality to the phone.

So I'm thinking iPhone 2.0 is just going to be software. If you already have iPhone 1.0, you will by default have an iPhone 2.0 when the new system is released.

I don't think Apple will add 3G any time soon. Too much of a battery drain, and, due to past experience, Apple is very sensitive to battery issues now. And I don't think more storage will become available until the cost of high capacity flash storage comes down in price.

I agree with everything you said.:laugh2:

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I just don't see why Apple would want to release an iPhone 2.0 before all of our contracts are up. Think about how many people would have to break their contracts, and then some wouldn't and would not purchase the next-gen iPhone.

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007

I agree with the 3G statement, as I have noticed that the battery drains real quick when using Bluetooth and WIFI. Add 3G, and it would be a guzzler.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I just don't see why Apple would want to release an iPhone 2.0 before all of our contracts are up. Think about how many people would have to break their contracts, and then some wouldn't and would not purchase the next-gen iPhone.
Nothing personal, but I don't think we, those who are the first adopters, come into the equation. We're already in. They made the pitch and we bought in. That accounts for the first million phones. They've got 10+ million more phones to sell. They gotta keep the wheels moving in order to push all that product out into the market.

Apple has to continue to iterate and innovate in order to grow their businesss. I just don't think it's going to be in the way of a new piece of hardware.

I would add to this that, I think the iPhone platform, as Apple has designed it, is probably the greatest and actually CHEAPEST smart phone you will ever buy. ALL the other smart phones out there are hardware with some software added to make it function. The iPhone is more like a computer in that it has the basic hardware but more of the functionality of the device is software based. Hence, instead of buying a Treo 300, then a 650, then a 750, ad infinitum, the iPhone that you bought this past week will fulfill your needs through software upgrades for the next few years.

You aren't going to need a new iPhone until the underlying technology significantly changes (battery technology, touch screen technology, wireless technology). Unlike other devices where things like keyboard configuration has largely defined model differences.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah, let's couple the 3G beast with a 4" screen......REAL battery efficient. lol
Exactly. Apple had to balance all the attributes of the iPhone. Battery life, wireless data technology, screen size and resolution, the size of the device, ... They obviously came to the conclusion (through a great deal of research I'm sure) that wireless data ranks lower on the scale than do screen, battery and size. And I think they are right on target.